Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

Replacing Ball Joints on a 96

Yes, it can be done. Are you planning on replacing the upper or the lower ball joint? I only have experience replacing the lowers, and it was some time ago, but I could probably think of a few pointers. Also, is this a 4x4 or 2wd? ^ beat me to it. However, I have a second gen and was able...
  2. N

coolant dripping out

I've had the same thing happen. After driving it for a week with no other leak, I decided it wasn't a major concern. I've heard that cooling systems can develop much higher pressures sitting idling in cold weather because it takes a long time for the thermostat to open. If your cap was...
  3. N

Fuel Pressure Regulator

I have a 98 XLT with the SOHC engine. I've been getting really horrible mileage lately. I've cleaned the MAF, replaced air filter, and the spark plugs are new. I'm thinking I may have a problem with the FPR, though the quality of my idle hasn't declined. I have lost some power though. At...
  4. N

Ball joint problem?

I had a squeak too. It was the upper control arm bushings. Spraying them with PB Blaster solved the problem.
  5. N

Groaning noise from wheel area

The groaning noise sounds like your bearings. Has it gotten any worse over time? I think that the tech meant that you need a camber/caster kit. It comes with new bolts. Ford puts square plates on explorers at the factory, so the alignment can't be adjusted (very much) without adding the...
  6. N

Ball Joints on 97 XLT

AWD adds a little complexity because you have to pyhsically remove the spindle in order to get the lower ball joint out. The CV axle gets in the way if you don't. This means you will have to disconnetc tie-rod ends, and both upper and lower ball joints (though if you are only replacing the...
  7. N

SOHC - Change spark plugs without pulling engine?

The three on the passenger side are fairly easy to get to through the wheel well. Just take off the plastic apron thing and it's really not tought at all. I don't seem to remember having any trouble with the drivers side. I do have a universal joint on my spark-plug socket, so that may...
  8. N

adding remote start- only want one remote (what to use?)

I installed one on my '98. They make remote starters that are specifically made to work with your original remote. The trigger hooks into the door-locks and you can program it, for instance, to start if you hit unlock twice. Mine is a Bulldog, but I don't remember the model #. It works...
  9. N

Caster

I wouldn't worry about it either. The caster is adjustable though if you buy an aftermarket caster/camber kit. The plate put in at the factory is square and not adjustable. The new one is cam shaped.
  10. N

Driver's Seat Moving.....getting really annoying

Update for anyone who was interested. I pulled the seat out today and figured out what is causing the problem. It's not the seat that's moving, it's the seatbelt. In between the seat and the console, the seatbelt latch slides on a track so that it can move with the seat. There is a slider...
  11. N

squealing/squeaking front end on 98 4x4

I don't remember much about it, but I do remember removing the hanging rings at least. I didn't replace the seals because we didn't have them in hand and it was late and I needed my car to be driveable the next day. Since I was replacing the ball joints, I had the entire spindle off anyway. I...
  12. N

squealing/squeaking front end on 98 4x4

I have not had the problem with the squeaking, but the dust seals would not surprise me. When I replaced my ball joints, we discovered that the dust seals had completely dry-rotted and the plastic rings were just hanging around the CV axle. Apparently, they weren't designed very well. About...
  13. N

Well I hope its something I can fix! If I figure out what it is, I will post back.
  14. N

For the last month or so, every once in a while when I take off or stop, I have been feeling a slight shift in the drivers seat. It has been getting more frequent and more noticeable and it is about to drive me nuts! I know there was a recall on the recliner bolt, but the problem feels to...
  15. N

'4WD Auto' and '4WD Low' lights flash 6 times

I had the same problem as you 2 weeks ago and it was the shift motor. Over time, carbon builds up between the brushes and the contacts inside the motor. It took me about 30 minutes to completely take it off an apart in my parking lot. Cleaned with electrical contact cleaner and the problem is...
  16. N

Broken Seat Recliner

I got a letter from Ford last week about an outstanding recall on my '98: "Recliner Bolt". Is this the problem being discussed here or is it something entirely different?
  17. N

Rough idle when warm

A very easy thing would be to try cleaning the MAF. Takes 5 minutes. There are a lot of threads on how to do it.
  18. N

Where is the Radius Arm??

Pheonix knows what he's talking about! I replaced the RA bushings on a '94 ranger. Let me just say that the $300 the shop was going to charge would have been money well spent!
  19. N

Tailgating Setup?

Thanks SirG. After a week or two of thinking, I came to the same conclusion. Instead, I have installed the wiring for a power inverter in the trunk. I'll just run the engine when the battery starts getting weak.
  20. N

Tailgating Setup?

OK, I'm looking for suggestions. It's almost football season and our buddy who brought his generator and entertainment center out to tailgate last season has graduated, so I'm looking for a way to wire up a speaker set-up for our party. My ideal setup would be to figure out a way to...
  21. N

'97 XLT Speaker Replacement

Hey Pimp, are you a student in Raleigh? I thought I thought I'd also add that you might want to go to somewhere like autozone and get a pack of new plastic "christmas tree" clips. Once you pull out the old ones, they will never hold tight again, and your trim will rattle.
  22. N

IAC replacement

This is a picture from an OHV engine I believe, but the IAC looks the same.
  23. N

IAC replacement

Assuming that you have the SOHC engine, just remove the plastic cover on top of the throttle body (4 small bolts). It is practically front and center, a small canister looking thing. I wish I had a picture, but maybe someone else can post one.
  24. N

Won't stay running......

:eek: IAC takes about 5 minutes to uninstall and reinstall! I was having a similar problem on mine and I cleaned the IAC with electric parts cleaner. It has worked fine now for over a year.
  25. N

Front Rotors Install

Are the brakes different between '97 and '98? I just recently changed my rotors (actually had to remove one of them to get to a broken stud) on a '98 and I had to remove the caliper bracket which is held on by two very large (and rusted) bolts. It was a little bit of a pain. I guess this is...
Back