Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

SOHC or OHV 4.0L??

I've had both, my first was the SOHC and it was replaced at about 225 k then it was destroyed in an accident with the replacement sounding horrible with about 160k. I bought my second Explorer, a four door with the OHV and couldn't be happier. I notice very little difference in power and drive...
  2. N

Performance A4LD

I had my transmission rebuilt for me since I have no idea what I'm doing after removing the pan and changing the filter on my 99 4l ohv. They pulled it, tore it apart then asked me to come in so they could explain. In the end virtually everything was changed right down to the torque converter at...
  3. N

4.0 ohv rebuild

Hi there I was reading your post and since I've just cracked a head on mine, I'm wondering where you are getting yours for $114.00 is this just the heads only or instal ready. I've found then for $210. install ready so can't help but wonder.
  4. N

Learning the hard way

lol it's funny how well that works, mine didn't like the extra three inches up to get in but thankfully she has her own car. She is still forced to step up when we take the boat out and of course snow storms etc. unless she wants to drive herself. That mud hole is deceiving though but I bet your...
  5. N

Learning the hard way

You will love the 31" under you, I have 3.73 gears so find I still have lots of power to play. C.T. had a sale on for 31" Wranglers so it cost me $660.00 with tax for four
  6. N

New (different) Wheels!

Nice, my 99 Explorer just got a new set of boots Wrangler 31" x 10.5" on factory steel and Chome after adding an extra leaf to the rear springs to take away the Explorer rear end sag. When they installed the new rubber they gave them 35 P.S.I., leaving 1.5" of unused rubber on each side of the...
  7. N

02 Explorer was towed, now problems!

I have to agree but you need to have somebody reputable to diagnose the problem in order to lay blame if you go after them. I have seen it before with major expenses attached, never let anyone tow without four wheels off the ground
  8. N

Learning the hard way

The mud hole doesn't actually look that bad without the Explorer in it but I ride on 31" with heavy tread for bite, but yours looks a little sad in the hole. Maybe consider buying a good heavy wench for it for mud holes, much easier
  9. N

Ex-rust-orer, or aka "Rust Bucket"

For the year you are doing great, but I am totally impessed with my 99, no rusted panels but had a front bearing changed a while back and as I hit the brakes driving out my pedal hit the floor. Rear brake line went, totally rotten, I drive hard and rely on my brakes good thing it happened there...
  10. N

Overdrive light blinking

Well my problem is solved, the second shop read the codes, I had lost second and fifth gear, seems the delay for shifting from first to second was actually missing second and hitting third when releasing gas. It seems the clip ring on the servo had let go letting the servo pop out partially and...
  11. N

Do bigger tires make the O/D light blink?

On my 99 the 31" has nothing to do with blinking OD light this only started 1 year after out of nowhere. The light started blinking and od was gone since then four days shifting from first to second will go to high rpm and once releasing the gas shifts. Tranny guy here wants to do a rebuild but...
  12. N

OD OFF light blinking

I have a 99 Explorer XLS again I am having the same problem OD light flashing and not engaging, tried using to disengage but nothing happens even after more than one try. It first started with engine RPM dropping 400 rpm then back up again over and over for five minutes then the blinking light...
Back