Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 2

Worn Driveshaft U Joint Bearings?

Hey everyone. Thanks for the advice. My transmission was shifting fine at the time I created this thread and wasn’t overheating, but it has a developed a hard shift around 2nd gear and is leaking from the shifter seal. It’s also running warmer now and making a metallic sound after a while. I’m...
  2. 2

The place I took it to says there’s nothing wrong with the u joints of differential but that it might be the transmission. I’m just wondering if a 5R55E would make a squeaking noise. It shifts fine and I have a temperature sensor on the test port. The temperature never gets above 180.
  3. 2

Mine sounds like the camshaft synchronizer chirp. Except only in gear and louder. I wish I had time to change them myself but I’m busy with work unfortunately. I’m not sure if it’s the u-joints but I’m getting new ones at this point.
  4. 2

No it doesn’t stop the noise. It’s definitely a metal on metal noise.
  5. 2

I’m 2WD so I only have the two on the rear driveshaft. The parking shoes are stock but I never use them. I’ll ask them to look at them in case they are damaged.
  6. 2

I went under the truck and didn’t feel any play in the driveshaft. The noise occurs in reverse and in drive under 40mph. I’m hoping it’s just the u-joints but the shop I go to will check it tomorrow. I’ll definitely replace the u-joints as they look worn out after 25 years and 313,000 miles and...
  7. 2

A couple of weeks ago I was driving with the windows down and noticed a squeaking sound under 40mph. I heard it again today and went under the truck to check. I noticed that the driveshaft u joint bearing seals look worn and it looks like the grease in them leaked out. I’m taking it to the shop...
  8. 2

How to: 2nd Gen NO AC ( or heat) FROM VENTS!!! A "How to" what to look for thread

I was only getting airflow through the defrost vents on my 2000 because the grey vacuum line that connects to the heater control valve broke down by the blower motor. I bought 1/8” inner diameter silicone vacuum line and connected it to the broken stock vacuum line, and then connected it to the...
  9. 2

“LED Look” Taillights

That’s a good point. My Explorer is usually in a garage at home or at work, but it gets plenty of sunlight while on the road so we’ll see how the plastic lenses hold up. These taillights are made by Eagle Eyes so they should be ok quality.
  10. 2

“LED Look” Taillights

I recently saw these taillights listed on eBay and decided to give them a try as I doubt anyone will ever make full LED taillight assemblies for second gen explorers. These taillights still use bulbs but the lens makes it look like an LED assembly. Running light: Brake light: Side...
  11. 2

Broken Ground Strap - Hood

Yes, that makes sense as the broken ground wire is painted harvest gold to match the rest of the vehicle. They had to use an insulated wire so they could paint it.
  12. 2

Did the 98-01 models have an under hood light? That’s interesting as I haven’t seen one yet. Good to know.
  13. 2

Thanks for the info. I’ll go with something like that. I’m just trying to figure out if there’s a difference between using a ground wire or a braided ground strap in that location.
  14. 2

Do you remember the part number that you used? Thanks.
  15. 2

My headlights and interior lights have had a slight flicker for a while which has gotten worse recently. I think this broken ground strap may be the problem. Has anyone changed this before? Unfortunately it’s riveted to the hood so I can’t remove it easily. I see a hole were I could try to...
  16. 2

Lift Spindle Bearings

Not yet. Mine is a 2000. I’m still checking if I’ll need longer brake lines.
  17. 2

Replacing A TPS With Damaged Screws, How To

I got mine at Ace Hardware.
  18. 2

Off-road opinions and thoughts.

I paid a shop to put the lift keys on about 3 years ago. They told me the hardest part was getting the tension off the torsion bars and the original keys were stuck on the torsion bars pretty well. I think tightening the stock bolts will give you the same effect as lift keys and you can avoid...
  19. 2

Off-road opinions and thoughts.

This is my 2000 on 32’s. It has lift keys and lift shackles. It’s going to be about 1” higher soon as I’m throwing on some old man emu springs and lift spindles. The torsion twist is nice but I want a softer ride.
  20. 2

For Sale Ubolt & Shock Skidplates

I’ll buy a pair now if you still make them. Is the price any higher than the last quote?
  21. 2

Lift Spindle Bearings

Edit: The bearings fit I just had to press them on a little. I got lift spindles on eBay but the seller didn’t mention if you can use stock size bearings with them. I know some spindles require you to run f150 bearings instead. Is this where the stock bearings usually sit on the spindle? They...
  22. 2

Headlights/Dash Lights Flickering

It was tested while on the car and the battery was fully charged so I’m wondering if the auto store testing device doesn’t check for voltage regulator issues. I’ll drive it for a day or two since I cleaned all the connections. If I keep having issues I’ll replace it since it’s an aftermarket...
  23. 2

Headlights/Dash Lights Flickering

I noticed recently that my headlights and dash lights have a slight flicker at idle, when in drive. It goes away if I raise the rpm’s or if I turn the truck off. I had the alternator tested and it was fine, but I noticed that when I tested with my multimeter the voltage would jump around. It...
  24. 2

FUEL PUMP ACCESS PANEL 95 - 96 ( 97?) FOUR DOOR

Too bad ford didn’t just put a panel there like they did above the transmission.
Back