Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Exproblems

Hey Ron, It's Tom from Buffalo remember me? The Bills did it, they are in the playoffs. LOL I...

Hey Ron, It's Tom from Buffalo remember me? The Bills did it, they are in the playoffs. LOL I haven't been in the forum much of late, but still driving my Explorer and running good. Hope you are doing well, take care! Tom
  2. Exproblems

Does everyone change the radiator hoses when changing the radiator

Have you priced radiators yet? I just changed (had a shop do it) mine a month and a half ago and bought a new radiator with a lifetime warranty for $100.00 +tax. I got it from Buffalo Radiator , their phone number is 1-800-radiator I changed my upper and lower hoses, forgot about that short...
  3. Exproblems

where to purchase a rebuild tranny?

You can check this place out. They are located in Hamburg, NY , just south of Buffalo, NY. I have heard good things about their transmissions. A friend of mine had a reman tranny from them installed a few years ago for $2400, with a 3 year warranty. Not sure if you can have one shipped to...
  4. Exproblems

where to purchase a rebuild tranny?

Are you just looking to buy a rebuilt tranny and have it shipped to you and you will install it yourself or do you want a tranny shop to do all of the labor and install it as well? You need to check out tranny shops in your area if you want them to do the full R&R. Find a reputable one...
  5. Exproblems

Roof Rack Removal on a 2005 Ford Explorer

I don't why Ford made the middle base bracket adjustable to where you can slide it forward or backwards but maybe it has something to with lining up the screws to the holes for the front and rear bases. It would have been nice to know ahead of time I could just slip the middle base off by...
  6. Exproblems

Thanks and yeah, I figured out the middle bracket can be slid off of the screws once you pull the front and rear screws. I did it the hard way though, by removing the tie down screw that holds the side rail to the base to get at the roof screws. I searched all over this forum and the web and...
  7. Exproblems

Pass rear brake dragging

Make sure your caliper pins are greased, dried out ones can cause one side of the brake pad to stick and rub against the rotor or you can have a caliper piston starting to lock up. I had a re-occurring rear brake pad keep sticking on me and getting hot and causing drag as I drove, this is even...
  8. Exproblems

Pass rear brake dragging

If you are near an Advance Auto Parts store, the scanners they use read ABS codes as well as CEL codes and they do it for free.
  9. Exproblems

HI all, does anyone know how to remove the roof rack or luggage rack on a 2005 Ford Explorer? Specifically, the middle side rail bracket so I can get at the screws that mount it to the roof top? I can't figure out how to remove the rail from the bracket that mounts it to the roof. I see a...
  10. Exproblems

Both front lower ball joints have excessive play

As DrDoom said, no one can answer that question and if they break apart, you'll probably looking at a bigger repair bill than you are now as more damage will occur if they bust apart. $800 sounds high for lower ball joints only. I had a shop do mine 5 years ago for $450, parts and labor incl...
  11. Exproblems

Rear Windshield Fluid leaking

If it is leaking at the rear tailgate window near the middle of the headliner, you need to pop the headliner off (The hard vinyl trim piece only) at the rear and you'll see the small diameter rubber hose running above the roof liner to the rear nozzle the washer fluid squirts out of. The hose...
  12. Exproblems

Are 2005 transmissions any more reliable??

I bought my 2005 Explorer with 82K on it in 2011 and it needed a tranny rebuild then, which I made the dealership take care of at their expense. I currently have 5+ years and 26K miles on the rebuilt tranny and had it serviced once and had the tranny pan fluid and filter changed and no issues...
  13. Exproblems

Major Mileage Milestone!

As of Oct 2013, the approx. price for a Ford Reman engine 4.0L V-6 with a full 3 years, parts and labor warranty, plus labor removal/installation at a Ford Dealership would run you around $5,000-$5,200. The reman engine by itself will run you around $3,200 plus any taxes. Prices may be higher...
  14. Exproblems

Is this a good deal!?

If it's a dealership that has the car, they probably picked it up at an auction or thru a trade in and they got it cheap. Try and find out if they got it from an auction. I know from having a few friends that have dealers licenses that they can buy vehicles at dealer auctions for $2,000-$4,000...
  15. Exproblems

My Explorer Left The Factory Missing Something...

My 2005 Explorer V-6 4.0L gas engine only has 2 Cat's. Are 3 Cat's just for the Flex Fuel models?
  16. Exproblems

My Explorer Left The Factory Missing Something...

I'm giving my age away a bit, but I use to have a bumper sticker on my car decades ago that read the following: "Gas, grass or ass", "no one rides for free"! :D Ah, the good old days!
  17. Exproblems

Liftgate Ajar Sensor

Are you sure the "lift gate glass window" is not what is ajar, if not the lift gate door itself? Sometimes when I tap my key FOB to get in the vehicle, it unlocks and opens my lift gate glass window and I get the lift gate open message on my message center screen. When I walk to the back of...
  18. Exproblems

best scan tool for the money

Yeah it helps, Thanks!
  19. Exproblems

Thanks, I'll keep the laptop idea in mind. Don't have one currently.
  20. Exproblems

Thanks, it will probably be the one I go with.
  21. Exproblems

The HF one in the link says it can read and reset ABS codes in vehicles made in the US and Canada.
  22. Exproblems

I'd say you got a great deal for a Snap-on scan tool. I know a younger guy that works at the gym I go to, his father who is an Engineer with the local Moog Products company and a back yard motor-head and has a Snap-on scanner that he said cost him $4500.
  23. Exproblems

LOL, not a chance in hell! Not for a grand I won't. I'm probably going to go with the one from HF that sells for $134. It does CEL's and ABS code readings and resets them as well on quite a few makes of vehicles. The one below...
  24. Exproblems

I wanted a scan tool that can be used on most makes of vehicles, not just Ford's, so I can help out other people I know. I also wanted one that can read, diagnose and reset codes.
  25. Exproblems

Ok thanks!
Back