Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Sustainable towing

are you pulling a travel trailer? if so, 3,600 lbs is right at the upper limit in my opinion. We tow a travel trailer about the same weight and it does it, not great on gas, but does it fine. We have not gone over mountains but on rolling hills it seems ok. The engine can rev pretty high...
  2. A

Limited or Sport for Towing?

I am surprised by your tongue weight. I would have thought it would be higher. Ours comes in around 400 lbs for a lighter trailer. I do have 2 large propane bottles and a battery on the front Our rear end sags about 1 inch and the front is up 1/4 - 1/2 inch with WDH set up. Which is right...
  3. A

Limited or Sport for Towing?

Here is the link. http://www.trailerlife.com/reviews/trailer-reviews/exploring-new-territory/ I have a Starcraft Antiqua 19Ck - 19 foot hybrid. Dry weight is about 3,100 lbs, with about 700 lb cargo in trailer and 600 lbs in the Ex (including passengers). I do not tow with water or wood...
  4. A

What do you tow with your 5th gen. Explorer?

Our new to us 2008 Starcraft Antigua hybrid trailer. Just towed it 100KM (60 miles) home today with nary a problem. had to go over 2 large skyways in some fairly strong winds and the SUV and trailer trackked perfectly. It is hard on gas, but no worse then I expected trailer nose is...
  5. A

thanks fo rteh replies. making mee feel better seeing others with similar set-ups not having issues with towing and/or rear end sag. Will be interesting picking up the trailer in a couple weeks. I am sure it will be a different towing experience then towing the small pop-up.
  6. A

thanks for the info. I was getting worried if the Explorer would be able to handle the weight of a Hybrid trailer after reading and posting on RV forums. The consensus thier seemed to be that it was not really doable. Mind you the mindset on RV sites is a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pick-up is required to...
  7. A

What type of hitch do you use out of curiosity. I assume you have a WDH with sway control. How much does the back end sag. I just puchased a Antigua 195CK. It is a fair bit smaller then what you have, but big enough al the same. Any issues giong down the highway at 60 mph with trailer sway.
  8. A

SiriusXM / Travel Link Renewal

i just renewed mine after letting it expire for $ 5.00/mos for 6 month - then regular price after that - which i will cancel, and then renew at some discount rate. Thus for 1 year it works out to about $ 110 if i was to keep it for the entire year. this is for Canada, so our rates always...
  9. A

Tow Hitch Question

Our pop up tows fine as well, as mentioned, we weigh in at around 2,500 lbs. However, i would not want to tow 3,500 lbs + through a mountainous area. I think it would be too hard on the vehicle. Towing 3,500 lbs plus cargo and passengers would get the Ex close to its weight limit and would not...
  10. A

Tow Hitch Question

Our pop up loaded weighs around 2,500 lbs. Not that heavy. I would not tow a 27' trailer behind the Explorer - at 3,900 lbs dry weight plus cargo and vehicle passengers you wil likely be over the weight limit pretty quickly. You will need a weight distributing hitch plus sway control which...
  11. A

Please Vote for Canadian Sync Services

thanks - any idea when it may be available in the future. i liked it, and depending upon price would actually subscribe to a service like that - found it invaluable in toronto gridlock
  12. A

Please Vote for Canadian Sync Services

i had something weird happen on my X for about 1-2 weeks - just after labour day - When I had the nav screen operational, i was getting yellow, red, and blue lines along some of my routes, as well as Yellow traffice signals, etc. I deduced that it was some type of thing linked to Sirius/XM...
  13. A

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

Yes, i was likely going to put winters on my EX - i have done so with all other cars we have owneed over the years. We have typically gone with either Bridgestone Blizzaks, Continental, or Gisalveds. My favorites, and best value for money and performance have been Gisalveds. They go through...
  14. A

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

Interesting all this talk about Hankook tires. Mt EX came with Michelin Latitude's (perhaps due to the fact is is only 2WD and not AWD). They seem to be very good so far, but am not convinced that they will a solid winter tire. Anyone else have the Michelin's and what are thier thougths.
  15. A

2011 XLT - 6K miles - no real problems

I had a May delivery as well and have had no significant issues at all. I have had MFT lock up 2x and a black screen that was fixed by disconnecting the battery for 3 minutes. I am waiting to upgrade MFT for about 4-6 more months.
  16. A

Tow Hitch Question

I tow my coleman pop-up trailer with a 5 inch drop to get it level. Typically tent trailers are about 16 to 20 inches off the ground to be level. Since the receiver in the Explorer is fairly high you will need a considerable drop to get to level
  17. A

USB drive

whatever free one i get from a supplier. I have 3-4 different ones i plug in and all wok no problem. never had an issue.
  18. A

2011 Final Number

These are only USA numbers. here are the CDN numbers. 4,439 sold in Canada YTD. I am actually surprised at how low the number is, however, that being said, they are not that common on the road. I do not see that many of them. OAKVILLE, Ont., July 4, 2011 – Ford Motor Company of Canada...
  19. A

Towing

Their are a number of different threads on this. However, I tow a 10 foot tent trailer loaded with 4 of us in the X with absolutely no problem. Gas mileage suffers a bit, but nothing unexpected. I tow with tow mode on in the city to get better gear changes, and turn off once at cruising speed on...
  20. A

Very Unhappy owner

It seems Loganfilm is having lots of issues as you scan the various forum topics. If i was him i would bring the X into the dealership for a major review and overhaul to ensure that all area of teh X work properly. it appears for the posts that virtually nothing works, or if it does, it only...
  21. A

Starting to get worried.

well said. I agree, we checked out these forums prior to purchasing, and figured out that MFT woudl take some time, and actually, took a vehicle for a 1/2 day test drive to make sure that we really liked it. The dealer actually encouraged us to take the longer test drive then the standard 15...
  22. A

Starting to get worried.

We love ours, and only had a small issue with MFT that required a reset. Once you learn the system it seems to work fairly well. You just need to be patient with MFT. It is a computer, and needs to boot up when you start teh vehicle. If you let it boot up completely before trying to do...
  23. A

Emergency hazard flashers on a 2011 Ford Explorer.

agreed - for the first little while everytime i went to use MFT i set off the hazards - especially if my wife used it from the passenger seat. Her bracelet kept hitting it. not the best spot for this - on top of the screen would be much better.
  24. A

MY Touch system is inoperative.

mine went blank saturday afternoon - just died while driving. it was the first fault that i had in it in 1 1/2 months of ownership. I left it overnight, to see if it woudl reset itself, but, Sunday morning, it was still not working. I could get heat and adjust fans, etc through the manual...
Back