Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

How many people have issues with their rear hatch gas shock supports in cold weather?

Here in NC, you can expect a few cold snaps, and that'll test your struts every time! A few years ago, when there were a handful of vans at pull-a-part every trip, I'd check any that had the hatch open. If there was decent resistance, I'd buy them. But as supplies dwindled, I just cut a 1x2"...
  2. A

1997 2WD Aerostar with a slow, rhythmic shudder while driving.

That's a tough one! I had a similarly tough time finding the cause of a code PO300 'random engine misfire' in my '98 Pontiac Bonneville. A few years back, it got so bad, I gave in and took it to the dealership. They found a cracked spark plug, and a loose plug wire on another cyl. And I'd...
  3. A

Lift points for the Aerostar.

That seems a bit overkill, a regular floor jack does the job. When lifting the front, you want to center on the crossmember, and at the rear, from the differential. I upgraded to a low profile 3 ton from Harbor Freight last spring, when I had to drop the fuel tank on my Bonneville. In a shop...
  4. A

How to: Replace a thermostat in an Aerostar.

I'm going to add that most of the aftermarket thermostats aren't very long lived. I replaced mine, and within a year or so it wasn't working properly. I found nos Motorcraft versions on ebay, bought two just in case. I haven't replaced it yet, I started a new job last August, and got a co. work...
  5. A

Solved Watered down gasoline from a local service station.

My former boss filled his almost new diesel F250 with gas once. He liked to partake of certain herbal substances which was likely a factor!! Lucky for him, he didn't kill the engine, just an expensive dealer flush!
  6. A

Solved The speedometer & odometer suddenly stopped working in my 1993 Aerostar.

From what I've heard, the odo resets to 300K again instead of 400. My '95 made it to 391K, but a likely burnt valve and massive oil leak kept it from going much farther!
  7. A

From frustration to relief today.

You made out better than I did the winter before last. Caved the front of the roof, and knocked the ds mirror off. Not much one can claim on an unregistered parts vehicle! At least nothing I needed was damaged!
  8. A

Has anyone here ever replaced an Aerostar headliner?

That's interesting, I don't think I've seen many Aeros here in NC with that problem. GM cars, like our '98 Bonneville, and the Cutlass Ciera and Buick Century that preceded it, were a different story! Since the Bonnie has a black interior, I thought eventually I'd just take the liner out, remove...
  9. A

Here's an article about a 1997 Aerostar which is for sale.

That was a sweet rig! CL ad has been deleted, so someone scooped it up!
  10. A

My Aerostar has a continuous warning chime.

Mine did that, I just unplugged the module. Only thing I miss is the headlight reminder.
  11. A

Transmission swap.

Yes, eventually.
  12. A

Transmission swap.

Thursday the 29th was a bad day. Had yo have a tooth extracted, and then tried to get a couple hours' work in. On the ride home, trans started slipping badly. Pulled over a couple times to check fluid, it was leaking, but not low yet. Finally, I got within walking distance of my neighborhood...
  13. A

I have a coolant leak.

Removed everything on the front of the engine to get the timing cover off. Also replaced timing chain while it was apart. Had to rent a few different pullers to remove and reinstall the fan clutch and harmonic balancer. Mine leaked on the driver side, and mostly got the ps pump and hoses wet.
  14. A

I have a coolant leak.

If it's a 3.0, they'll leak from the top of the timing cover, where the water pump bolts through. Went thru that this time last year!
  15. A

Updates on all 3 Aerostars!

Bad miss, believe it's a burnt valve. Rear main seal failed, pours oil. Drive band in trans broke. Body trashed due to running off the road because of a failed ball joint at 65 mph! Rear wheel bearing about to go, front brakes ground to metal, alignment off... The list goes on, but those are the...
  16. A

Updates on all 3 Aerostars!

So, last weekend, I was able to squeeze in a few hours to change the cap, rotor, and wires in my DD. One terminal/boot at the cap was all rusty, in fact it fell off when I pulled the cover! There was also a boot on a plug that seemed like it was loose. There were the misses! When I started it...
  17. A

My nos fuel pump is installed.

I must say, it went easier than expected! Got it form ebay. Conveniently, it came with replacement clips for the fuel lines, one of the originals snapped. New pump was identical to the one I removed, so I assume it was the original! Good to have it done before the old one went out! Next, cap...
  18. A

Paging BrooklynBay - ECM location?

Thanks everyone! I mainly want to hear it run before I pull it. I could take the one out of my dd temporarily, but don't want to chance any problems! Looks like tummy troubles will preclude my yard run. Maybe on Friday. I have a laundry list of things to do on my dd van! Got an nos fuel pump off...
  19. A

Paging BrooklynBay - ECM location?

I've seen a lot of conflicting info about this. Researched old threads here and at FTE. Found one with identical symptoms, constant fuel pump, no start. They swapped out the ecm, and it fixed it. I'm probably going to pull a part tomorrow, they have a 92, 93, and 95. I did notice an anodized...
  20. A

I just replaced my rear hatch struts.

Also, if your struts are on the way out, you can pull the door panel and speakers out, and get a few more months out of them! I usually grab a good pair when I'm at Pull A Part, easy since the hatch will usually be up!
  21. A

Rear bumper.

The extensions bolt to the center section, so I wouldn't expect the tabs to be there. Of course, you could probably JB Weld them on from your old bumper. I didn't notice you were just down the road in Charlotte. I don't get down there too much, except to Pull A Part of course!
  22. A

New 1992 parts van. It doesn't start.

Picked up another 92 extended for $400! Seller's mechanic thought ECM died. When you connect the battery, the fuel pump runs, steady. I wondered if anyone has run across this problem. 167K, same as my DD van! Plans are to pull the trans and swap tires first, and eventually pull the motor and...
  23. A

Sayonarra overdrive.

Does the 3.0 share a bellhousing with a V8? Just curious what's needed for that swap.
  24. A

Sayonarra overdrive.

Yes, I just changed the filter 2 weeks ago. It wouldn't drop into gear in the morning, unless I warmed it up a while. Been 15k since I'd last changed it. I go middle of the road, and just change the filter and top off the fluid. When I pulled the filter off this time, there was a bit of fluid...
  25. A

Sayonarra overdrive.

If I ever see another manual Aero in the salvage yard, I'll grab the pedal and linkage setup! I'd expect most of the rest is the same as a ranger.
Back