Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

'05 XLT V6, P0303 & no compression -- head gasket? valve? piston?-- pls help diagnose (video)

Thanks. Coolant pressure tester I can rent at Autozone, will do. Hole in piston -- should not it produce noticeable gases escaping thru PCV valve and/or oil dipstick pipe?
  2. P

'05 XLT V6, P0303 & no compression -- head gasket? valve? piston?-- pls help diagnose (video)

Thanks. Looks like Autozone/Advanced/OReylly don't have it for rent, I'll keep looking Question: given the cylinder does not have any pressure at all, if it is a bad valve -- will I be able to verify it after opening just the valve cover?
  3. P

Well, here are the cylinder compression test results: #1 - 180 psi #2 - 182 #3 - 0 (manometer needle did not even move, tested many times with two different manometers) #4 - 175 #5 - 180 #6 - 173 I think this points to blown head gasket, however I am not sure. If it was cracked piston or...
  4. P

Ah, and yes, I've replaced spark plugs less than year ago.
  5. P

One of main reasons I suspect head gasket is sound (see video) when idle -- harsh "chuff-chuff-chuff" with frequency close to one cylinder sparks. It happened instantly, so I don't think it's clogged fuel filter. Overheating, low coolant, water in exhaust -- I could not tell because after the...
  6. P

'05 XLT V6, ~85k. Truck was suffering from P0430 (Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 2)) and moderately uneven idle for few years, but yesterday -- peaceful local driving, stopped at intersection, when started moving (no noticeable "pop" or "clang" or whatever) -- engine shaking...
  7. P

2006 Explorer Console Disassembly Procedure

This thread is listed in "List of useful threads". Am I the only one who does not see pictures in start post? No matter what I try -- there is no pics.... :(
  8. P

Gear Shift Stuck in Park

2010 Ford Explorer XLT, V6 2WD, ~19k (yes thats right, under 20k), gear shift lever is on the floor (center console), recently developed same problem -- stuck in "park", no "click" when I press brake pedal (brake lights work). Have to fidget it for minute or two before it finally...
  9. P

1992 Explorer power loss, surges -- pls help to diagnose

OK, just to conclude this. I've spotted at local dealership a 2010 (last year of the 4th generation) Explorer XLT with incredible for its age 14 kmiles mileage. I could not resist the temptation. So, after short but fierce battle with the salesman (which I had shamefully lost) I became a next...
  10. P

What size is the fan clutch nut?

It's 36 mm. Also: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-size-and-what-direction-is-the-fan-clutch-nut.407877/#post-3324783
  11. P

I must add, I'm really impressed by the survivability of this truck. Half-dead fuel pump, almost completely blocked fuel filter -- and I was still able to move it! I think it's the "blessing of being the 1st gen". Manufacturer did not have massive exploitation experience, and did not realize...
  12. P

Yeah.. plus, I'll hopefully get the dashboard fuel gauge working again... for free. i.e., with no additional efforts to fix it! :)
  13. P

With new FPR after 13 quick primings (engine is off) pressure builds up to ~17 psi and stays there after 10 more primings. When stopped priming, drops to zero in same 25 seconds. Started the engine, at idle pressure rises to ~20 psi and stays there, dropping 1-2 psi while revving. Looks like...
  14. P

I took out the fuel filter -- it's clean. Clean gasoline comes out from both ends, air is easily blown thru. Installed filter back in place, conducted fuel pressure check at test port: After 12-13 quick primings (engine is off) pressure builds up to 20-22 psi and stays there after 10 more...
  15. P

I agree, but just wanted to mention that Haynes manual says that the manufacturer expect the fuel filter to last whole lifespan of the vehicle. Sounds like barely justified bragging to me :)
  16. P

trushtruck, 2stroke, thanks for the advice, if I decide to save my Explorer and replace the fuel pump, I would rather go by dropping tank. Replacing the whole assembly AND cutting the access panel along the way, of course. Reason: I regularly feel gasoline smell in the cabin after sharp right...
  17. P

Well, unfortunately, it's not solved. Today's driving: about 45 miles of mixed local/highway was "normal", and then the symptoms came back. Not as severe as it was, it seems, but the problem is there. I suspect that the dying fuel pump throws its decaying guts into the line and clogs the filter...
  18. P

OK, so I replaced the fuel filter and truck is running as before. I now doubt that it's running "normal"... but "as before". No problem accelerating anymore... at least during my quick 5 miles test drive. I don't quite understand how can it be running with fuel pressure so low... or probably I...
  19. P

So, I think it was both: dying pump, AND extremely clogged filter. 1. I disconnected the fuel filter and measured fuel pressure on the filter's exit -- zero or almost zero. 2. I took out the filter -- it is severely clogged, I can not blow air thru it at all. New filter could be blown thru...
  20. P

Thanks, Nate... Do I simply unbolt the return line from FPR? Haynes manual only says "disconnect", factory manual talks about special tool with "fingers", which I don't see where to insert, even if I had one. Factory manual probably talks about different engine, mine is early 4.0L pushrod.
  21. P

OK, I've got half day today and whole day tomorrow... So, fuel pressure check. Connected the gauge -- reading zero. Turned ignition on (hearing fuel pump humming) couple of times -- pressure reading zero. I checked the gauge, and checked the gauge together with connecting hoses (using my...
  22. P

new to me 93 sport

I didn't mention it here (was in the original post), I cut off the boxed end of the wrench so I was able to put an extension pipe one it. Which was really needed in my case - the nut required about 300 pounds-per-foot of torque to undo it. Luckily, after that it was easy, almost by bare hand.
  23. P

Ford Explorer (Caucasus, Russia)

Literal translation would be "issledovatel'". Similar, by meaning, to both "explorer" and to "researcher". More adequate might be "razvedchik" -- same as recon, reconnaissance.
  24. P

What are the "hard to find" parts?

Yeah... I was considering putting the sign "Empty and Unlocked" on it, but we had moved from there soon... into considerably better location :)
  25. P

new to me 93 sport

I tried different sets, all the same, as you said -- garbage. I ended up buying (relatively) cheap jumbo wrenches set (regular thick metal wrenches, not those special for fun clutch nut) from Harbor Freight tools, which has 35 mm wrench in it. I grinded it to 36 mm (exact size of my fan clutch...
Back