Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

End of the road for Explorer Sport?

Re: Concept Bronco I got excited when my sister sent me a link for the concept Bronco earlier this year, too. Unfortunately my excitement quickly dwindled when I got past the name and the cool retro look and read the fine print. That 'Bronco' is basically an 'Escape Sport': IFS/IRS, no...
  2. N

V8 & 4WD?

Did Ford ever produce an Explorer with a V8 and 4WD (vs. AWD)?
  3. N

2001 Sport Tire Size Options

Thanks! Thanks for the input, Becker...I appreciate it! The Sport is in good condition...only cosmetic issues appear to be some stains on the seats (hoping a good shampoo as part of detailing will pretty much take care of that), some wear around the stereo power/volume knob, some scuffs on the...
  4. N

2003 Explorer Sport FX4

YES!!!! DITTO, AMEN, YES, YES, YES!!!! :bounce: THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!! You're right on, Rick...I'm not going to get greedy, just offer the SAME package on the Explorer Sport, and I'm SO there! It just makes sense to me...like they really couldn't lose. If nothing else...
  5. N

(Poll) Zexel Torsen Differential for '95+ Explorer/Ranger?

Yup! Maybe it would help clarify if the poll asked for level of interest (high, so-so, none) rather than simply whether or not you'd buy one right now...just a thought. I'll admit that I'm speaking up as someone who doesn't have an Ex yet (working on an '01 Sport, however), but when I do I'd...
  6. N

2002 Ranger FX4 - Modded for dirt!

FX4 Explorer Sport...? :D That's awesome, man! I was shocked (in a good way! :D ) when Ford put a manual tranny AND transfer case in that FX4 package...I thought for sure manual t-cases were going the way of the Dodo! Now if they'd just slap that package on Explorer Sports & Sport Tracs...
  7. N

'01 Sport Low Mileage Problems

Thanks fellas! I noted a TSB regarding the Cam Chain Tensioner and Intake Gasket and brought it to the dealer's attention. I've pretty much decided I'd go with LT265/70R16 BFG AT KO's, mainly for gearing reasons...with the stock rims it looks like they'd come out to about 31x10.5. Of...
  8. N

'01 Sport Low Mileage Problems

I stumbled across an '01 Sport 4x4 with 24K miles at a dealership for $15K. My '00 F-150 just rolled over 100K and I've been thinking of returning to a more practical short wheelbase, so I'm seriously considering making a move. Are there any common problems folks have had early on with their...
  9. N

2001 Sport Tire Size Options

From reading through the posts in this forum, it generally looks like 265/75R16 with no lift will fit with minor rubbing on the inside rear of the front fenderwell. However, I didn't notice anyone running them on '01 and newer Sports and just want to make sure the updated body style doesn't...
  10. N

Ford Ranger FX4

Yeah, I'm VERY pleasantly shocked that they actually brought it out...can you say MANUAL TRANSFER CASE?!? I've been bemoaning their street-focused station wagons for years now. Now...how about an FX4 Explorer Sport?
  11. N

Build your Wrangler fighter here!

FX4 Explorer Sport (Bronco?) Compromise I just posted (see "Ranger FX4", this forum) how thrilled I am with Ford's FX4 Off-Road Package on the Ranger, and I think it gives us some hope for an off-road worthy SUV (at least compared to what they've offered us in recent years) from them in the...
  12. N

Ranger FX4

Stop the presses, folks...Ford done went and did something good...no, pretty damned great! Been reading up on the new Ranger FX4...can you say "MANUAL TRANSFER CASE"?!? I was excited about the rest of it, too (31x10.5 BFG AT KO's with 15" forged aluminum Alcoa wheels, manual tranny, Torsen...
  13. N

New 5-Speed Manual Tranny

I just found out that a 5-speed manual transmission is FINALLY available again in new Explorers. Anyone know anything about it? Stronger than the old Mazda 5-speed? First gear ratio?
  14. N

Topless Explorer

USV vs. Ex I prefer the "USV" (see pic in first post this thread) to the Ex in terms of simply style and looks. JMHO.
  15. N

Next Gen 2 dr Explorer will be Bronco?

Ex Concept Yeah, I've seen it. I personally prefer something a little more "conventional"...again, take the Early Bronco as a concept and modernize it...SIMPLE, TOUGH, FUNCTIONAL. The Wrangler TJ is, unfortunately, the only thing in this category right now. I still don't understand why they...
  16. N

Next Gen 2 dr Explorer will be Bronco?

That story from BON is pretty old...I remember seeing it over a year ago, got very excited, then...NOTHING (as usual). Now that I own a 1976 Classic/Early Bronco, I'd hate to see them simply slap a Bronco badge on some version of an Explorer Sport. If they do bring back a modern version of...
  17. N

More Rumors: Super-Duty Bronco Returns?

Pics The guy claims he's seen a concept/prototype, and should have pictures this weekend. I have a feeling he's full of it, but if he's not... I'm also picturing a 2-door, short-wheelbase Excursion.
  18. N

Prem. Off-Road Ranger?

Explorer Off-Road Pkg I've said for years that Ford should offer something to counter Chevy's ZR2 Off-Road Package...that is, something more than a sticker on the fender. The off-road package you describe sounds great...now offer it in the Explorer Sport! Put a manual drivetrain (tranny...
  19. N

More Rumors: Super-Duty Bronco Returns?

Some guy over at the Ford Truck Enthusiasts message board claimed that his buddy is an intern with Ford's Truck Division, and that he got hold of a memo and some pictures regarding a 2005 or 06 Bronco. He thinks it's based on the F250 platform, which would bring back the Super Duty Bronco rumor...
  20. N

4.0L OHV Performance

What steps/upgrades would be required to bump a 4.0L OHV V6 up to around 200 HP and 250(+) ft/lb torque? Is it worth it, or does a 5.0L V8 conversion make more sense?
  21. N

Ford concepts from Detroit Auto Show...

Ex While I LOVE the pure off-road orientation of the concept, the EX is actually a little too extreme for me. I want something I can wheel hard, but also drive 50 miles roundtrip between home and work, as well as haul a couple of passengers, dogs, gear, etc. I'd like to see a more...
  22. N

Ex (?) & Sportsman? Michael: What's this about the Ex (?) and the Explorer Sportsman you mentioned? Are they current concepts, and if so, any links to pics and/or specs?
  23. N

Rubicon & Moab?!? Peter: Explorers on Rubicon and Moab? I'm impressed! You guys must've caught some funny looks from the Jeep and other fellas! Please tell us about the trucks in the Rubicon pics, especially Tom's Navajo (specs, mods, etc.). Again, I'm impressed...one of my concerns...
  24. N

Matt: I checked out your pics...I am impressed that you 'wheel that beautiful new truck so hard! I love those black wheels, too.
  25. N

Anyone else catch the "RPM" section of the Feb. '01 Four Wheeler? According to the magazine, the 2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ will have a "hard core off-road package" consisting of rock rails, Dana 44's with lockers FRONT AND REAR, rear disc brakes and an NVG 241J transfer case with a 4:1 low range...
Back