Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. V

No OD

I'll start in soon. Thanks Wood1 for the manual.
  2. V

No OD

Ok, I impled that the trans is out, correct statment is I have the pan off. I can get at the solenoids. What else can be done before pulling the trans altogether?
  3. V

No OD

OK so I decided to work on it as the other project turned into splitting it to fix the main engine seal. I pulled the trans oil pan off the ex to see what I could find. The oil is darker than what it should be. I didn't find any parts/chips in the pan. The solenoids on the shifter side measure...
  4. V

No OD

The shift motor is the lesser of my problems right now. I did work on the band like the directions showed. It screwed in two and 1/4 turns and got tight. I set it like the directions said. I test drove it afterwards. Had to manually shift through the speeds because it would not shift by itself...
  5. V

No OD

It was one loud snap or bang. I'll send my e-mail. Drives ok but now has high rpms. I'' ll check the bands again. It acts just like it did when the harness on the transmission was not hooked up. I read the posts on the shift motor and was going to do that some day but I am woking on a farmall...
  6. V

No OD

It's been awhile since I have posted, mostly I stop by and read what is going on. Well that changed today. My 91 ex that part of the trans wiring was unhooked when I got it was driving almost perfectly the last few months, 19 mpg and 3000 miles to a quart of oil. Today I was traveling on a...
  7. V

Stupid Clutch

clutch Did you reface the flywheel? When we replaced clutches in our tractors you could bet on the one that did not have the fly wheel redone to let go early. Also most clutches rely on centrifugal force to hold. So stiffer springs at low RPM are neccessary. We have had just about everything...
  8. V

Vibration at 65....

vibration My 91 had a out of round brake drum on the back. It did not show up until we tried to turn it and it was out of round something like .060" or better. I put a new one on that side and now I don't notice it now.
  9. V

1 step forward 1 step back

valve cover Yes, It is not too bad. I loosened the belt, took the A/C pump loose and set it forward for clearance and then removed the bolts to the valve cover. By manupilating it around it came out with out a lot of trouble. Be sure to put a new gasket on. I used a small ratchet and...
  10. V

Occasional Oil Light

oil level light If you mean the light that tells you if there is oil in the pan it could be a loose wire or the sensor on the side of the oil pan is going out. Or are you referring to the engine light? The oil level light has one wire to the drivers side of the pan that acts as a ground for the...
  11. V

I'm researching and i don't understand

Rollovers I still remember my ex rollover very well. It was a day of light drizzle and I traveling east on a hiway a car on the right failed to stop in time for the stop sign and slid into the intersection. I had been watching it happen and i moved more towards the left crossing into the...
  12. V

what is this?

Not to mention the Chiltons says you need special tools to bleed it so I probably would end up in a shop with it. I suppose it got worse because I found a nice minimum maintenance road to wheel on during the week end and went down it several times to play. 1st gear, brakes on all the way down...
  13. V

what is this?

This device appears to be about 3/4 inch wide by 2 1/2 inch tall and 3 inches long. The leak is not at the lines but at fitting/port towards the bottom away from the lines. This I believe has rear antilocs, I'll have to get it on a lift to see it better as it is up in an out of the way spot and...
  14. V

what is this?

I have been working on this 91 for a few months now and I'm getting down to the things that are mysterious to me. I get a small spot of oil on the floor a few times a month, not steady. Last time it was a couple of months ago and I crawled under the Ex to look. Near as I can tell there is a...
  15. V

possible trans problem?

This is how some dealers check the converter. My 95 dakota ran O.K. with the cat out, but back pressure is different so it coded every so often, My dads Ford 150 was left that way from the dealer , it was 20 years old at the time and it ran fine. I think that was a 85 moldel.
  16. V

possible trans problem?

If you had said a rotten smell from the exhaust, I would have said a plugged or partially plugged catalytic converter. This would account for the loss of power at higher speeds. You should check the converter out.
  17. V

Lock up torque converter

update I found it!!!!!!! The wire i was describing that was hanging loose did have something to do with the problem. Long story short this vehicle was a lab vehicle for the local automotive program. When i got it, various things were missed when students put it back together so finding a loose...
  18. V

Lock up torque converter

looks like I need to get the adapter for my scan tool and find a diagram that I can read without a magnifing glass. How easy is the wiring to get at where i need to put the voltmeter in the solenoid circuit for the TCC? Or is this up by the brake pedal. By the way there is a molex plug hanging...
  19. V

Rear window regulator?-help please

When mine went, I avoided winding the cable by buying a used assembly complete, at the junk yard for 12 bucks. I had too drill the rivets out and use 1/4 inch bolts with kep nuts when I reassembled it. The cable looks nasty to rewind, good luck with it.
  20. V

Lock up torque converter

MrShorty, I tried your test several times on the 16 mile trip into work. The needle never jumped like you described when I pumped the brakes, even when you could feel them hit and slow the vehicle. The rpms would go up to 3000 if you sped up and then fall back when the speed leveled out but no...
  21. V

air conditioner

We pressurize the sytem with an inert gas called dry nitrogen which is compressed in the cylinder that we purchase it in. The dry nitrogen will sweep the system of gasses. The dry nitrogen is released to the atmosphere because it is a natural gas in the air, it is also E.P.A. approved. The...
  22. V

Lock up torque converter

I'll try this the next time I leave town to the north, there the road is very level for ten miles or so. I have noticed the rpms are lower when I am not using the cruise control.
  23. V

air conditioner

FYI: Haynes manual lists low side pressure of 22 to 50 and hi-side of 160 to 250. Refrigerant amount 2.25 lbs but does not state which refrigerant. R134a is charged at a 80% amount of R12 by weight because the molecules are smaller. A high suction pressure is either too much load as in heater is...
  24. V

Lock up torque converter

The tag in the door says D-4, The tag on the axle says 3 L(i think L) 73 38 1F21 and on another line S 6298
  25. V

Lock up torque converter

Just got my 91 back on the road from a motor change out. I'm now moving on to the next thing i don't think is right with the way it drives. Just cruising down the road at say 60 mph the truck seems to not drop back on the rpm and lock in. Maybe I'm too used to the gmc and dodges dropping back a...
Back