Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

HEI or non-HEI wireset

I'm putting my own custom wires on my explorer and need to know if the our coilpacks are HEI or non-HEI and the wires of course. I need to know if the wire that plugs into the coilpack needs to be male or female. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. A

Custom wireset/routing difficulty on 5.0

Well its time to replace the wireset on my 97 5.0. I see the rear two plugs have an idiotic routing along the valve cover to the rear. I want to route them in front of the manifolds (away from them). So it looks like I'll need to make my own wires. Anyone do that, or can anyone reccomend...
  3. A

Suspension advice...

Hey, when you hit the brakes then let up do you hear the squeaking when you let up on the brake...ie when the truck comes out of the nosedive (not a big nosedive but thats what I'm calling it)? Mine creaks from the front when I am slowing to a stop and then let up on the brake or when it...
  4. A

EGR tube on Manifold stuck

Dealer quoted me 250 to install a new one. Since I'm only home for 4 days before heading back to CA for 3 weeks..(I'm stuck in CA till late Dec), and its my wife's car.....I think 250 is fair for them to do it. If they crack the manifold, I already have cast iron manifolds from 98 explorers...
  5. A

So I'm pretty much damned it I do damned if I dont? The EGR tube is completely snapped in half about 1/4 inch above the nut. But the nut just won't come off. Fun fun
  6. A

What am I missing here, I have a broken EGR tube (passenger manifold) on my 97 5.0 X. Its broken off at the nut on the manifold. I've sprayed it with PB blaster and hit it with an impact wrench at 250lbs. Do I need a bigger impact? Anyone have any ideas here? Eric
  7. A

What size socket actuates the tire winch

Nope...they are good and gone. Figured a socket might actuate it. Guess not. Time to find me a salvage yard.
  8. A

What size socket actuates the tire winch

Well I managed to loose my wrench for the winch on the spare tire. What size wrench (socket) do I need in order to lower it? Does anyone know the PN if I have to go and pay the stealer for one if I can't find some other way of making it work.
  9. A

Pilot bearing ate my input shaft (M5R1)

Put it back together and see what happens....worst case scenario is it fails again. You can always have the end of the shaft flame sprayed and reground to the original dimension.
  10. A

How to remove compressor hose 97 5.0

Yep, planned on getting a new dryer, but can't figure out how to get the hose off the compressor. Are both hoses detatchable independantly to the compressor?
  11. A

How to remove compressor hose 97 5.0

Well i found out my busted AC is because of a snapped fitting on the hose between the compressor and condensor. But I don't see how to disconnect the ac hose from the compressor, do both come off at the same time, or how do I get them disconnected from the compressor to get a replacement.
  12. A

Starter Stuck again!! 95 OHV

Yeah, burnt it out...got towed home (42 miles). Dealer replaced it free again.....hope they did the solenoid on it too. They claim it was from a shorted wire to the relay (probably assumed it was my kill switch...not sure yet). At least they did it all as warranty work. Think its time to...
  13. A

Starter Stuck again!! 95 OHV

Well, Ford replaced my starter (after it stuck on and burned out) a few weeks ago. Well less than 100 (less than 10 cycles) miles later it got stuck on again and straned me. It has a new starter assembly by Ford, a new starter relay on the fender, and the relay ignition/start terminal has...
  14. A

Starter won't disengage!.....fried now

Well I got a new starter, and it did it again, so I put a new fender relay on it, and it still does it intermittently......any other suggestions? What else could be sticking? My ignition column? Is there a kill switch I can add to make it stop if need be? If its the ignition column, how hard...
  15. A

Ehhh, I had to take it to the dealer.....couldn't get the top bolt off the starter. So it cost me 150 more to do the job. At least I'll replace the relay myself, and if it keeps hapenning its under warranty (of course after I get it to stop cranking).
  16. A

I think I have something intersting on my driver's side fender. Some type of relay or something. Time to start playing in the engine bay.
  17. A

Is that the relay that is fender mounted, or is the starter relay a standard one
  18. A

Well my starter on my 95X won't disengage.....today it did it once and i turned the key to off (still kept cranking) turned it on/off twice more and it finally cut out (and engine ran). Well it didn't do it for the next three or four start cycles then it did it again.....only this time it stuck...
  19. A

Think my intake mani gasket is leaking coolant

Any thoughts on what it could be thats leaking coolant then?
  20. A

HELP! coolant leak. times ticking.....

Have fun, looks like I'll be doing the same thing on my 95 X
  21. A

Think my intake mani gasket is leaking coolant

Rear of engine leaking coolant (4.0 OHV) Well today I noticed my engine (4.0 OHV) was loosing coolant and smoking on contact with theexhaust pipes. No coolant in the oil or tranny fluid (went through a gallon today on a 100 mile drive). Went under the truck and saw coolant dripping from...
  22. A

Delayed shifting on a 97 4r70W 5.0

Fortunately or unfortunately its never been rebuilt. I always thought this transmission was a rather stout package. I was hoping for an electronic issue, but we'll soon see
  23. A

Delayed shifting on a 97 4r70W 5.0

75K miles on the X. Well it doesnt happen all the time. It happens like 10-20 percent of the time or less. When it does it, it does it in bursts then is fine again. I'm not sure what you mean by holding it wide open....do you mean from a standing start? Since it doesn't occur most of the...
  24. A

Strange noise when turning

Are the CVs the same on all 2nd gens? Can I swap a 95 cv in to see if it goes away?
  25. A

Strange noise when turning

When doing a tight slow turn left or right it sounds like marbles in a coffee can when driving. It only sounds like this when doing a really tight turn. This is a 97 5.0 AWD X. Not sure if it is the tcase, hubs, or cv joint.....any thoughts?
Back