Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Front left wheel noise

if you hear it more when you are turning, i would suggest your axle. also, give a shake on your sway bar in the front and see if that has some jiggle too. but i would say to jack up that wheel and shake it at 12 & 6 and 3 & 9 and see if it moves at all. if there is play it would suggest some of...
  2. H

sons 2002 explorer

these are closed transmissions. meaning you cannot check the fluid unless you buy a special nozzle (NPT 1/4) i think though there is a thread for this somewhere. you have to get the car to running temp, hook the nozzle up and watch for a trickle. you will need a pump to get any fluid you need...
  3. H

PCM and Keys Issue

i would say they are close to OEM. some of the bad ones have batteries in them and parts that go bad. i had to buy two keys, only the one from the dealer programmed first. i could not program the knockoff first, but only 2nd. the first one i bought didnt even work at all. food for thought i guess
  4. H

PCM and Keys Issue

are they both Strattec Ford keys?
  5. H

5R55W Fluid Fill

i broke the main hex bolt holding the torx bolt, flipped the old trans over and stole that one. done and done. for now.... thanks
  6. H

5R55W Fluid Fill

Thank you @BrooklynBay I know thats the real fix, but i dont want to get into it again with this thing. just replaced the trans, should have topped it off when i had her out or paid more attention to the drain plug. but i didnt. it needs about 1.5 qts. is there a plug with an allen-key by the...
  7. H

5R55W Fluid Fill

bumping this old thread. anyone know how to get ATF in these things with a stripped plug? on the 55R5S is there a drain plug on the side like the W's? - can i disconnect the cooler it through there? if so, how?
  8. H

Remote Start

I actually have a remote start in my 04 Mounty. i havent seen anything on this site for it when i looked as i have some questions as well. what i did find out is that some places by me will sell and install a basic remote for $150 total. I may take them up on it for my older truck.
  9. H

Solved PATS key sucsess! Thanks Forscan

@imp my opinion would be to keep calling. like i said, only some have the programmer. i think you need some certification for it is why. i wouldnt mind giving it a shot looking for you if you wanted to message me your general location.
  10. H

@imp Only other way i can think of is a locksmith righting those keys. when i priced it, it was 65$ and didnt include key. you have the keys so call around, only some have the right programmer.
  11. H

Opinions of 2000 Mountaineer V8

I have a 99 AWD Mounty with a 5.0 and its been my favorite and most reliable car. a little leaky, but i can honestly say the whole car would fall apart around this engine/ transmission set up. I think you have a different transmission than the 99, but both are the best that Ford made. I just...
  12. H

original key works? is the other store or internet bought? some of the keys have small batteries. what does forscan say when you try to program it?
  13. H

When did they switch from 55R5W to 55R5S (SOLVED)

Finally had time to look at the transmission again and had a problem solver help me instead of just a parts changer. we tried for about 10 minutes and realized it needs to come out to inspect. we changed the location of the truck to my garage due to the weather and began pulling it back. we...
  14. H

Explorer Turn Signal Problem - PLEASE HELP.

A+ information. My wife lowers the steering wheel every time she gets into the car. Crawl underneath the steering wheel and look for the blue box on a clip and turn the hazards on. if you hear it clicking, jiggle the wires a little and then try the blinkers. if you dont hear a click or the...
  15. H

thanks @imp we actually have the bolts lined up but they are rounded and we cant get our hands or tools on the TC to cinch it forward enough to get it in place. gonna have to figure it out. one thing to note. It is my belief that the 55R5S has a bung hole with a plastic cap on the housing...
  16. H

It did fit. having a a bit of a hard time lining up and or spinning the flywheel or TC. looks like its time to back it off a bit unless you guys have some good ideas. thanks again.
  17. H

Front suspension grinding now squeaking???

those are the usual suspects - you should also check the CV boots and joints too.
  18. H

How to: 1994 Head gasket replacement / engine pull

so much for just changing the heads/gaskets. very inspiring. great job1
  19. H

Thanks Buddy! I was doubting myself and envisioned me kicking it off a cliff while in flames. I will do a lot of things with a car, replacing a 3rd generation (or any 55R5) is one that i would like not to happen again. but if it does i will always come here.
  20. H

Finally got it lined up. Made 4 leader bolts they are 10MM x 1.50. Thankfully took @imp advice and cut some deep slits in them to draw the back out with a screwdriver though 2 came out by hand. I will never do this job again but if i did i might square the bolts to get a socket on it. Once...
  21. H

@imp no, you definitely helped. I may not have gotten all of what you said in an above post, but either way it pointed me where i need to go. Will make leader bolts like you said, but will start the two top leaders before we start to line it up. we will cut them to the right size so we easily...
  22. H

i would say that is an extreme possibility, but I saw the truck, title and the have the VIN #. I bought cars off this guy before. it was a V6, but you have me thinking so im going to check the vin again....brb its a Cologne V6 EFI. honestly, that would have been refreshing news. this project...
  23. H

02 explorer 4.0 automatic 02 mountaineer awd transmission?

also, 1L2P is the "W" 2L2P is the "S" There should be a cardboard tag on the transmission if it fell off then its stamped on the EPC
  24. H

02 explorer 4.0 automatic 02 mountaineer awd transmission?

I am replacing my transmission in an 04 Mounty right now. let me give you the run down. @Tylers02 is correct. there were two types of transmissions for the 3rd gen, the 55R5W & 55R5S. The 'W" was used until the cutoff date 5/2002 when they switched to the "S". So put both Vins in etis-ford.com...
  25. H

@imp man. i cannot get this thing lined up. i have bolts in the bottom, one in the dowel pin but i cannot get the trans on the top close enough the thread a bolt on it. even if i jack up the back of the trans. it feels like something is hitting or stopping it. if even when we try to push it...
Back