Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 Fuel Pump Replacement. Guide For Cutting Floor?

Does anyone have a quick dirty FAQ on getting to the pump without dropping the tank? I know you can cut the floor but I'm looking for some clear pictures as to where and what needs to be removed. Thanks! :)
  2. R

2002 Explorer XLt 4L 4x2 cranks but won't start

Going through this right now. Have someone crank the SUV as you smack the bottom of the gas tank where the swirled coil shape is, that's where the pump sits. Use the palm of your hand or a rubber mallet. I get the EXACT same thing you are and its a stuck fuel pump for me. Mine finally DID die...
  3. R

Fuel Pump Died... Help!

Opps, probably the wrong section! Disregard, reposting in the correct section.
  4. R

Fuel Pump Died... Help!

So the fuel pump died in my 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. The cheap shop wants like $800 do it and I don't want to spend it as the thing has 320,000 miles on it, the timing chain guides have been rattling for 200,000 miles and then the trans some times slips and bucks, one day it wouldn't go into gear...
  5. R

Can I change my fuel pump without dropping tank??

LOL! It's like they knew someone was going to find the smiley face someday! Troll Level "FORD"... OK thanks, I'll make a new post.
  6. R

Can I change my fuel pump without dropping tank??

Old thread, but the link above seems to be dead. I have an XLT that had the pump die today, I can smack the tank and it "unsticks" for a few minutes. Does anyone have an FAQ? I don't want to drop the tank for an SUV with 320,000 miles on it that I'm replacing in few months! Also if I pull a...
  7. R

Engine cranks but will not start. Daily driver, help!

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 This started a few weeks ago. I had left work and stopped and Biggby Coffee on the way home from work and my SUV would not start when I came back out. I could not hear the fuel pump energizing but then again I've NEVER been able to hear it over the key chime. I ended...
  8. R

HELP! It's getting cold, I need more heat! Heater issues!

I need some help! So this is my fault. I neglected my heating and cooling system for a few years. Kinda like, it ran fine so I never did much. Well one day last years I noticed I had almost NO heat in the winter. I was no longer able to defog my windows or de-ice them. I looked at my coolant...
  9. R

4.0 Timing Chain Tensioners?

I have a 2002, wasn't that the year they "fixed" the issue with the plastic? Not saying it can't still be an issue or anything but just thought I would mention it. I've always ran Mobile 1 in this engine, change is every 5,000 or so. I've never seen any particles of anything in the oil. Always...
  10. R

4.0 Timing Chain Tensioners?

I've been trying to track a noise down in my engine for a while now. I get this cold start rattle and some other noise that I thought was timing related but It's had this noise for like the last 100k. I was always under the impression that the timing chain and tensioners required me to rip the...
  11. R

Hmm what should I do to my Explorer?

Meh I mean if we were talking conventional oils, I'd be more concerned. Synthetic already flows better and is more stable. I started out with 5w30 but a bunch of times both of my Wal-Marts were out of the 5w30 and only had 10w30 Mobile 1. For the most part I've pretty much always gotten 10w30...
  12. R

It's definitely not a heat shield. The noise is not external but it could be a lifters I suppose. I exclusively run Mobile 1 Synthetic 10 30 in everything, new and old. I've used it for years in my track cars and we absolutely boost the hell out of those things, run them up to 10,000 RPM's on...
  13. R

I have a 2002 V6 4.0 Explorer XLT. Knock on wood, I've NEVER had any major problems with it and it's sitting at 247,000+ miles. The only thing I might consider above a normal wear issue was I started to get this hard bucking in the transmission but you guys helped me diagnose that as a solenoid...
  14. R

No brake lights, seems to be switch related BUT....?

Got it! Wasn't the switch, was the actual plug that connects to the switch. I had to replace it with the BWD kit that has that aftermarket switch and the complete harness. Works great now.
  15. R

No brake lights, seems to be switch related BUT....?

So I've lost the brakes to my 2002 Explorer XLT. This is the second time I've had this happen. The last time I pulled the switch apart and cleaned the contact points, cleaned it up and greased it per this forum and it worked again for like a year. Brake lights started to have this...
  16. R

Gear shifting issues! Need advice on potential fix

It is going to get worse. Also it can break your tranny sooner or later. Normally sooner then later. I just had this EXACT same thing happen over the summer. Felt like I was getting kicked in the ass end of my SUV when it shifted. It was the solenoid pack inside of the transmission...
  17. R

door lock problems 02 explorer

Your reply it still a bit confusing. When you say "manually" do you mean you have to flip EVERY door lock one by one manually OR do they all lock at once when you press the electronic switch on the door? I have half your problem. My doors will not lock electronically. If I press the lock...
  18. R

Weird power issues. Keep coming out to a dead battery

I've been late for work 3 times now in two weeks because I keep needing to have someone come jump my early 2002 Ex XLT. I wake up and the battery is just dead. Happened again this morning. I finally got to work about an hour late and I went in. Boss asked me to run to another building so I...
  19. R

Broken drivers seat on early 2002 Explorer XLT

So I went to get into my car the other day and the drivers seat just tipped right over backwards until the back of it touched the the rear bench. I got out and started to play with the seat and you can just tip it right back like it's not attached to anything. I flipped it back and found some...
  20. R

2002 Ford Explorer XLT doors will not lock electronically, but do unlock...?

Rondo! I'll get in on this thread too! I know it's a little older but this too is my EXACT issue. Might as well keep this all in one place since so many people seem to have almost the similar issue. So no one found a fix for it here either? It's definitely not my door wiring. I've gone...
  21. R

Doors unlock, but will not lock from door button or key remote

Yes I'm very much aware of the broken wires in the door. If you re-read my above post, we have already fixed all of the wires. I went threw then and so did my friend who is a decent wiz when it comes to electrical issues with automobiles. We have repaired the broken wires. I'm pretty sure...
  22. R

Doors unlock, but will not lock from door button or key remote

My doors will not lock if I press the button on my drivers door, or press the lock button my my key remote. If I press the lock button on the key remote, the alarm DOES arm. If you lift a door handle from outside the SUV, the alarm does go off but the doors are not locked. You can manually...
  23. R

How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem

YEAH! I could use those pictures too! Anyone have them?
  24. R

5R55W Solenoid Block Replacement

*Update* to my problem. We just topped off the trans with it running and sure enough, it held almost 3 more quarts. It runs even smoother now and I thought it was smooth before. Thanks for this thread!
Back