Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. V

Help! Sudden trans fluid leak

I understand thanks, I was referring to BrooklynBays post about regular D being fine on an incline.
  2. V

Thats interesting. In my original owners guide it says "Use 2 (second) gear to drive up moderately steep grades, to start up slippery roads, or to provide moderate engine braking on dowgrades. DO NOT GO FASTER THAN 55 mph (88 km/h ) IN THIS GEARSHIFT POSITION"
  3. V

Yes it was quite steep, the dirt road winding its way up the volcano, could only drive slow about 25-30 mph for the most part
  4. V

I realize now I was driving almost the whole time in Overdrive without even thinking about it which probably caused the overheating in the first place!. So what should I have been using while driving quite slow up mountains like this? normal D or 2nd??
  5. V

filter ordered and video watched how to change it
  6. V

From the searches I did Mercon V is okay, is says Mercon on the dipstick. Anyway, because I thought all the fluid had leaked out (nothing on the dipstick and the ATF was leaking so much I assumed it all had gone) I bought 10 quarts as the manual says 9.5 litre capacity for the sum of $73...
  7. V

Okay I checked the cooling lines and they seem fine and dry, most of fluid is at the back part of the pan and on the drivers side near the linkage, but I don't what the vent tube looks like?? the color of the liquid is reddish brown and it smells like um transmission fluid. edit - found it by...
  8. V

Thanks for the replies, not much water left the radiator and the radiator had been recently flushed and reconditioned so that is okay. I will look for the vent tube and check the lines as well.
  9. V

I am thinking refilling the atf putting a tray underneath to catch the fluid and then see where it is leaking out, which side are the lines on?
  10. V

Drove from Quito 9200 feet to Guaga Pichincha volcano which is about 15500 feet. Everything was going fine but I noticed that the X seemed to be low on power, I didn’t know if it was just because of the steepness or something else, I tried it in 1st low, and the revs picked up a little and some...
  11. V

Fan/blower/ac working only intermittently 1994 xlt

Hi, I was mistaken about the air conditioning, it wasn´t working just the fan was. I tried it in our garage and it blew cold air and I assumed the A/C worked because the button lit as well, but it was just the fan without a/c. So the fan worked fine at all speeds but would suddenly stop for no...
  12. V

Brake fluid leak help caliper? photos

Thanks for the help and even though things are cheap in Ecuador like Gas, drugs, women and bananas lol things like used cars and parts cost more here unfortunately! It cost me $70 to get it repaired on the spot, including parts and labour. On ebay I could have got the caliper for about $33 from...
  13. V

Brake fluid leak help caliper? photos

This morning found a brake fluid leak on the drivers side front wheel as shown in the photos, the brakes have been working fine although I topped up the fluid a little a week ago which was low as the warning line was on. Anyone offer me advice on what the problem exactly is and how to fix it...
  14. V

1.25 inch shackle lift and 2 inch front spacers

What size warrior shackles did you use Dora?
  15. V

1.25 inch shackle lift and 2 inch front spacers

I can buy Warrior 1.25" rear shackles and 2 inch front spacers for my 94 xlt from ebay (sellers that ship here). I plan to buy 31s as well. My question is, is this going to be fine? or do I need to buy 2 inch shackles with 2 inch spacers? (I can also go the add a leaf route but unsure which is...
  16. V

Do all first generations use the same blower motor resistor?

The cheapest ones I have found listed on ebay that ship here to Ecuador say they fit 1991 and 1992 explorers, but 1994 explorers come up as incompatible on the same ebay listing. Wouldn´t they be the same?? I have a 1994 xlt 4x4 thanks
  17. V

Thanks for the reply Jason, it is already at the mechanics at the moment for a service as I just bought the car, they are gonna look at this problem as well so will reply when I find out what the problem was for future ref.
  18. V

Post yer 94 pictures

merci amigo!
  19. V

Post yer 94 pictures

1994 XLT just bought it, standard with LSD 118k miles, no rust whatsoever as is common with cars from the Andes here in Ecuador
  20. V

Owners of X's with 31x10.50 tires with NO LIFTs

Thanks again, I think I might just wait till the standard tires wear out and see how I go with them until them. Probably driving skill will make more difference than the 1 inch clearance and increased width...might just get a difflock or other sort of traction control but thats another thread.....
  21. V

Thanks for the reply, I guess is changing to 31s 10.5 and gaining a just 1 inch lift and wider contact patch worth it if I want to improve offroad ability or should I do a suspension lift to make a noticeable difference?
  22. V

When the fan and Ac works it works perfectly at all settings, then for unknown reasons the fan will not turn on, nothing will work at all. I pulled out a few different fuses and couldnt see any damaged, replaced them and it started to work perfectly, then went out today and everything including...
  23. V

Hi, first post, I have a 94 XLT with 235/75/15s and will get 31x10.5s for the original wheels. Has anyone noticed significant differences regarding offroad performance when changing from the standard tires to the 31s (no lift)? examples?
Back