Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

what rim is this.. info needed

You should of had tire stem style TPMS right? Not the band around the rim. I checked Oro-Tek and it calls for an OTI-002, so it isn't compatible with the blue or black TPMS band units that Ford used in 05 and up to 09 or so. They then went to the valve stem type entirely. If your sensor...
  2. A

what rim is this.. info needed

The number says it came from an 03 or later Explorer/Mountaineer. I personally went to GT rims from my 07 Mustang. They were 8.5 wide and 17 in diameter, so that was perfect for the Explorer. The wider rim, with 235/65R17 tires, made all the difference in the world in ride and cornering...
  3. A

Wheel Swap

Actually, I have 2007 GT Mustang wheels on my 02 Explorer and I love the way that it goes around corners now. The stock 6.5 or 7 inch wheel just didn't cut it. I went with the 8.0 wide wheels with 235/65/17's on them. Looks great and has a great ride. I just tried to add a pic but couldn't...
  4. A

Dome light question.

Just go out to eBay and check them out. There are 79 listings for 02-05 Explorers right now. You can choose your colors and options. You could take the cheapest one that matches your console, and switch out the parts. You could save a bunch of money and keep your original console color...
  5. A

Tailights, orange indicators

Don't forget that your taillights use the 4 wire design, so to go to an additional for the amber, you will need a wiring splitter to go to 5 wires (amber t/s). These are readily available from any parts store in the trailer hitch section. (They are 4 wire on one side of the box and 5 on the...
  6. A

Tailights, orange indicators

How about these? I believe they are what you have on your rig. They have both left and rights listed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-99-00-01-FORD-EXPLORER-L-TAIL-LIGHT-/120894475743?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AExplorer+Sport+Trac&hash=item1c25df4ddf&vxp=mtr
  7. A

Start up knock

I'm a retired (medically) partsman with over 40 years of experience (ASE certified), and personally, I won't use a Fram or AC Delco oil filter for nothing. If you every cut one open, you'll never use one either. We used to display all the oil filter brands we carried, and cut the cans to...
  8. A

Wheel bearing vs rear differential noise???

The whine you hear while running under load, then letting off and getting no noise, is either a bad differential front pinion bearing or the infamous gear wear whine. Either require parts replacement to relieve the noise. Personally, until this differential starts the howling stage, I...
  9. A

Just replaced rear diff and still have noise

You got it right. It definitely sounds like a wheel bearing. When you load the bearing the sound still stays the same, and when you relieve the bearing the noise is lessened. Time for a new right side bearing. You can go between two buildings with windows down and hear the noise...
Back