Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 1

Tranny went on my 99 XLT, $2,000 to overhaul

The transmission on my 97 v6 XLT just let go yesterday. Truck has 208k miles on it and, depending upon the repair estimate, I may wind up getting rid of it. It has some rust above the rear wheel wells and, with 208k miles on the SOHC V6, I wonder how much longer that will run before it starts...
  2. 1

Transmission died on me yesterday

So for the past week or two the "O/D Off" light has been flashing on my dash and the transmission wasn't going into Overdrive 97% of the time. I knew I had to get it checked out but, I had to go away on business and then got sick so it got delayed. Yesterday, while driving on the highway, I...
  3. 1

Upper Control arm replacement on '97 XLT

I have a 1997 Explorer with roughly 200,000 miles and it needs to have the upper control arms replaced. (Actually needs upper ball joints but, it's easier to replace the entire assembly I have been told). I have looked on Rock Auto for the parts but, there are so many choices I have no idea...
  4. 1

fuel gauge problem

I think just the pump was replaced
  5. 1

Feet are on fire

I fixed the problem yesterday; I tried to locate the valve you have in the picture but, couldn't find it. What I did find was a grayish line running up along the AC box on the firewall. The line had a rubber hose attached to it but, it wasn't connected to anything. I looked inside the rubber...
  6. 1

fuel gauge problem

I have a 1997 XLT SOHC V6 that, just recently, has started exhibiting a fuel gauge issue where it seems to be stuck between 3/4 full and full. Just this morning I filled the tank, drove from southern NJ to Newark, DE and back (over 200 miles total today) and the gauge is just below 3/4...
  7. 1

Feet are on fire

I would say it's hot air flow since it seems to be coming from a concentrated area.
  8. 1

Feet are on fire

I have a 1997 Explorer XLT with the SOHC V6. The problem I am having is the extreme heat that is coming from under the dash right next to my right foot (gas pedal). I am getting this heat even with all of the HVAC controls turned to the off position. Is this a blend door problem or could it...
  9. 1

Unbearably hot without heater turned on

I will check into having the blend door repaired; I'm sure it won;t be cheap. As far as the AC is concerned; I have had it charged but, it only gets cold on max AC. I guess I'll take care of one thing at a time for now.
  10. 1

Is there just one blend door and, if so, is it something that requires the removal of the entire dash?
  11. 1

My 1997 XLT gets very warm inside; and that it even with everything turned off. In addition; when I turn the AC on it only gets slightly cool if I set it to max cool. Could this be a blend door problem or am I looking at a combination of problems? I'd like to get it fixed before summer...
  12. 1

Restoration parts suppliers?

Do anyone offer restoration supplies for the 1997 Explorer? I'd like to replace my seat foam and fix some other minor things; eventually fix the rusted rear wheel arches. I really like this vehicle, even though it has close to 200k miles and probably isn't worth the investment.
  13. 1

Battery light on, low gauge indicator

Turns out that it was the alternator. I took it back to the place I bought it and the owner put the unit on his tester (I left it with him for the entire day). He also took the alt apart and said he found lead shavings inside. He replaced the "fan" and a few other interior pieces (free of...
  14. 1

Battery light on, low gauge indicator

I know this issue has been discussed many times before, and I have used the search feature to research the issue but, I still haven't been able to find the answer. A few days ago I was driving my 1997 SOHC V6 Explorer when I noticed the battery light was on. I had gone to Home Depot and left...
  15. 1

Hear a "doink" sound from the rear area of the car when pulling away from a dead stop

This is all great information; thanks guys. I will order the teflon grease and get this done right away; that noise is driving me crazy.
  16. 1

Leaking windshield

Thanks, I had thought about the silicone sealant but, didn't want the repair to look like crap. I will see if I can lift the rubber slightly so I can get the silicone under it to make an invisible repair.
  17. 1

Leaking windshield

No sunroof.
  18. 1

Leaking windshield

I have a 1997 Explorer and have noticed that the headliner area above the windshield gets damp when it rains. On the exterior of the vehicle I can see that the rubber weatherstripping is kind of curled and appears to no longer provide a tight seal to the vehicle. Can I simply get the...
  19. 1

Hear a "doink" sound from the rear area of the car when pulling away from a dead stop

Just lately I have noticed that my 1997 Explorer makes a "doink" sound when I pull away from a stop. I have heard it other times but, I always hear it when pulling away from a stop. It almost sounds like a spring is bad or something is hitting the exhaust. I have grabbed the tailpipe and...
  20. 1

Cruise Control Not Working

Mine acted up on me last week; I was driving on the highway and figured I'd set the cruise. Pressed the Cruise button and the green light came on, got to the desired speed and pressed the set button but the car never held the speed. I tried numerous times with the same results so I turned the...
  21. 1

Battery light still on..........

Will driving it with the 200 amp alternator installed do any damage until I can get the stock replacement installed?
  22. 1

I probably don't but figured why not?
  23. 1

Can you expand on that please? The Ebay auction stated that the alternator was compatible with my truck. I know, I probably shouldn't have bought it through Ebay but, like I said, the ad said it was compatible and I had read on this forum that plenty of guys had upgraded from a 130 amp to a 200...
  24. 1

Two weeks ago, while driving to work, I noticed that the amp gauge on the dash was reading very close to the "L". I had been told by my mechanic that the alternator was on its way out which would make sense. Rather than take any chances, I drove the truck home. By the time I pulled up to my...
  25. 1

Do I need to use lock tite?

I am planning on replacing my idler pulley, tensioner and alternator tomorrow and was wondering if I need to use any type of Lock Tite or anti-seize on any of the bolts. This seems like a fairly easy project; is there anything I should watch out for or be aware of before I dive in?
Back