Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. V

Brakes weak in quick-stop situations.

that's a good idea, I did it with my pops, both of us taking turns to look and they look/act fine in that scenario. Thanks bro, luckily the brakes are working well now, but if my 1st gen has issues now I know to check the lines
  2. V

Ok, so after everything from my last post, after re-measuring the rotors, I decided to replace the front ones because although they weren't super super thin according to the minimum thickness, they were close enough. So, I bought new ones and regreased the wheel bearings and all that good stuff...
  3. V

Thanks for your input guys. yea I hear ya that the explorer is heavy, but right now my 1st gen with rear drums is braking much stronger, so Im thinking there is still something going on. I tried flushing the brake fluid, but it was my first time so hopefully I did it right, basically I...
  4. V

@ My98nnj, yea I looked into some different pad options between organic semi-metallic and ceramic. I decided to go with the Wagner Quick-Stop semi-metallics since they'll have longer pad life than the organics. I understand what your saying about the panic stop being better on the organics, but...
  5. V

yeah I checked the haynes manual and double checked the few things it mentioned. I rechecked everything, taking the calipers off so I could get a nice close look at the pads and rotors and the rotors seem fine, and the pads are good but are literally right at the sensor point, so instead of...
  6. V

Transfer case/4wd problems

Didn't have time to get to my 4wd drive today, got caught up with a problem with the brakes on my mom's 2nd-gen explorer. Anyways, if I'm not able to do it tomorrow, it will have to wait til next week cuz I'm going river rafting thursday-sunday for my bud's bachelor party. I'll update the tread...
  7. V

Didn't know they had that the 2nd-gens had that kind of notoriety for the weak brakes, but that IS why I am contemplating an upgrade on my 92; not sure if I will but I am researching converting to 4-wheel disc, hate those drums! But that's another story and more money.
  8. V

She's the second owner but yea its got a lot of miles, i forget the number but more than my first-gen (162,000). She pretty much does city driving, thats about it. Yeah I think I'm going to re-inspect and also give all the rotors, etc. a good cleaning, might as well grease the caliper bolts...
  9. V

Hello, I've got a question about my moms '96 5.0 Explorer. She recently said the brakes didn't feel quite right so I drove it and under normal conditions (light braking for stop signs/lights, city driving, etc.) they felt great. But, when I would make "quick" or "panic" stops, it would take a...
  10. V

Finally signed up!

Thanks!
  11. V

Yea I think I'll have to. Hopefully it is just the shift motor and not the transfer case itself. When I pull it back off I'll take some pictures of it as well, hopefully I can get this thing working and I didn't blow the case. Thanks for your reply, will keep you posted, probly get to it...
  12. V

Finally signed up!

Thanks man
  13. V

in the meantime... well for now I'm going to keep rereading DeRocha's 4WD sticky thread, i think my relative inexperience with working on my 4WD just needs more time reading and looking at everything, hopefully i can go through it all again and figure out my problem.
  14. V

Hello, I've been trying to troubleshoot my 4WD problems recently and have not been able to figure it out, despite my reading and rereading some threads that are related to my problem. So, I have automatic locking hubs on my 92, and the 4WD always worked like a champ in the past, typically I...
  15. V

Finally signed up!

Hey everybody, I've used this site for a few repairs I've done on my explorer and the information and tutelage was invaluable. So, I decided it was time to join officially, maybe at some point I'll be able to help others the way I am helped by everyone on this site. Thanks again! -Vito
Back