Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Q

Help Diagnosing 4x4 Problem

Yes. It behaves differently. When in 4x4 auto, it detects slippage and then goes to 4x4 high. Once in high, i have to press auto to get it to go back. I accidentally did a full donut on a curved road yesterday. The truck is definitely not throwing power to the front. A friend suggested to...
  2. Q

Help Diagnosing 4x4 Problem

I just noticed that the back end slides out when turning this winter. The truck goes from 4x4 auto to high when this happens. As a test, i stayed in 4x4 high and went around the corner again with a fishtail. There are no flashing lights and the 4x4 seems to shift from auto to high to low...
  3. Q

Help with Poor Mileage

Hi: My 2002 V6 Eddie Bauer has started to experience poor mileage over the last 2 months and it seems to be getting worse. I used to get 14.5 km/ 100 l but am not getting 16.1. After going conversions, it looks like it is ok but it doesn't explain why it seems to get worse by 0.1 km/ 100 l...
  4. Q

Help with Rear Sway Bar Bushing

I have a squeeky noise in the rear of my 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer. I suspect it is the sway bar bushing. Does anyone have a how-to remove, replace? Also, how do you put on new bushings (never done it before)?
  5. Q

Lube for Rear Brake Sliders

Yes. Without this forum, i wouldn't have tried to fix it myself. Had to replace boots and slider pin. I had to buy the slider kit (sold as per caliper) and boots (sold as pairs of calipers for about $20. Since i already had the brakes apart, i also replaced the rear rotors for $38 each...
  6. Q

Thanks. The information was very useful. The slider tubes were corroded and had swollen which prevented the caliper from sliding. (Previous owner never lubed them and simply slapped on a new bolt. It's amazing that they passed safety.) After cutting the boot, chipping away layers of rust...
  7. Q

I lubed the tubes now. I figured it wouldn't hurt since it was inside the boot. However, the siezed tube is bad. I tried a c-clamp and couldn't get it to move. Should i try to hammer it free or does this mean i need a new caliper?
  8. Q

I have a 2002 V6 Explorer Eddie Bauer Eddition and have a couple questions. 1) The slides (not the bolt) are protected by a rubber boot and attached to the caliper assembly. Does that part need to be lubed, since it is still a moving part? I can slide it all the way to one side and pull...
  9. Q

Diagnostic Help - Rubbing on Corners

My 2002 was bought used and always seems to rub around corners (with a vibration) escpecially at low speeds. It's not as noticeable turning at higher speeds and driving in a straight line is fine. The tires do not seem to be rubbing the wheel well and the traction control module has been...
  10. Q

transmission slipping

Could be a problem child. Lots of posts regarding the transmission solenoid block. I let mine go too long and had to put in a rebuilt tranny.
  11. Q

Check this before replacing brake light switch

I went to a few auto part shops to do a cheap blind replacement but they all had generic switches ($50) that required some minor rewiring. Before spending the $100 from the dealer, i openned it up to find no electronics, only a mechanical switch. This took all of 5 minutes and cost next to...
  12. Q

Service engine soon questions

The code is for the O2 sensor. It may be intermittent since your light went off. It doesn't necessarily mean that the O2 sensor needs replacement. Following is some information about the code... P1131 - Lack of HO2S-11 Switch, Sensor Indicates Lean A HEGO sensor indicating lean at the...
  13. Q

How to Replace the 4x4 Shift Control Module (Easy Fix)

Firstly, thanks to this forum for helping me save hundreds of dollars. After disconnecting the battery for a transmission rebuild, i had no 4x4. The rear tires slid out and there were no lights when trying to switch to 4x4 H and L. When i first turned on the ignition, 4x4L would flash for a...
  14. Q

passenger window wont go up or down

Send me your email and i will send you the wiring diagram with colour coding. The first thing to check is to check each connector with a volmeter. This will tell you if it a broken wire or motor. As an alternative, look for a broken wire on the driver's side since it is the cheapest fix and...
  15. Q

Please help

I beleive the washer pump relay fuse is #12 (10 amp) on the interior fuse panel. Since you already have experience changing the pump, did you take a voltmeter reading at the pump? That should tell you if there is an electrical problem. Also, did you check to see if the tubes were...
  16. Q

Tranmission Repair Shop Recommendations

Thanks for the responses so far. Because of the large number of threads on the transmission and my lack of understanding on transmissions, i will likely send it to a transmission shop. I am looking for references from people near Barrie-Toronto for reputable, experienced shops that can be...
  17. Q

Tranmission Repair Shop Recommendations

My 2002 Explorer O/D Off light just started flashing on and off. This seems to be a difficult thing to diagnose from the many different posts in the forum. 2 other friends with the same truck have already gone through thousands in repairs and new transmissions. I just paid $100 to have the...
  18. Q

Request: 02 explorer radio wiring diagram

Can someone send me the wiring diagram also. I have the 6 cd changer but the loading mechanism doesn't work. I'm thinking of an after market head unit but am not sure how the controls (volume, presets) work from the steering wheel work.
  19. Q

Power Locks (only) stopped working

If the copper is not broken, you can use electrical tape to insulate the copper. It's possible that the exposed copper was coming into contact with other metal and causing a short. If you know where the black wire is supposed to connect to, you can also take a connectivity tester at the...
  20. Q

Power Window Wiring

I was actually thinking of pin 3 (brown wire). It shows voltage at the harness connecting to the switch. So, i suspect that the switch only closes one side at a time. The wiring diagram should help me see if they are connected to the same source.
  21. Q

Power Window Wiring

My rear passenger power window will wind up but not wind down. After checking with a voltmeter and comparing the pins to the driver's side, i noticed that one wire (yellow with brown stripe) does not have a voltage differential. So i suspect that this wire is broken somewhere. As i started to...
Back