Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

1998 Ford Explorer XLT Battery Issue?

Oh and, if you find out that the battery is fine and actually charged (regardless of the state of the alternator) and the engine won't start on its own, you then get to start doing some FUN diagnosing - checking that the PCM is getting voltage, same with the ignition and fuel pumps (you can test...
  2. N

Let me just add that I'm overtired. If you'd like a better explanation of voltage vs. load testing and how you can determine leach current with cheap equipment at home, I can post a thread on it that is much more clear and better tomorrow. But you should be able to figure out if your battery is...
  3. N

There are certain circuits that are always 'hot,' even when the key isn't in the ignition. I would check a repair manual to see if the ABS is one of them, as the poster above me pointed out. Among other explanations I write about below, during the hammering, you may have knocked a wire to a...
  4. N

Odd problems fixed - speedometer, odometer, ABS, weird headlights, no start, more!

I'm sorry, I don't know if I didn't make myself clear, or if you didn't read the whole thing. I'll reiterate that it turned out that despite the fact that all signs pointed toward my alternator, as you pointed out, it was my battery that was damaged. The alternator is in tip-top condition...
  5. N

sounds exactly like you have a bad battery swap it out and check if it stops
  6. N

Died While Driving, But Comes Back to Life

agreed with ernie, except afterward I would reset the computer if it's been going on for a few weeks.
  7. N

Odd problems fixed - speedometer, odometer, ABS, weird headlights, no start, more!

You may have some or all of these symptoms, and the early and later ones may be intermittent: EARLY SYMPTOMS headlights dim when accessories and especially both power windows are in use at the same time the odometer stops working, speedometer is odd rough shifting sometimes but not others...
  8. N

02 Ranger 4.0L SOHC tranny, leaf spring shackles, etc.

Hello friends! I know this is for 'stock 1995-2001 explorers' but as there was no forum for 2002 rangers, I figured this is the right place to go, especially as the '02 ranger 4.0L SOHC has the same (5R55E) transmission as 95-'01 explorers. My mom has an '02 Ranger 4.0L SOHC 4WD extended...
  9. N

New

Hello, Long time reader, new poster. I've gotten lots of help from the forums here - from diagnosing a cracked vacuum hose instead of replacing a PCU (or was it PCV?) to other things. Now I'm here to ask a more serious question in the right forum. Thanks for being so awesome everyone!
Back