Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. U

Wanted Front Differential for a 1997 XLT V6 4.0L

i'm looking for $150 including shipping... i don't have that big of a budget when it comes to fixing cars :( I'm not sure what gear ratio, i don't know how to find it.
  2. U

HELP! 4 wheel drive grinding sound.

Now i'm not really an experienced mechanic, but i have done a couple things like replacing the cv axles and ball joints. How hard is it to replace the whole differential? Sorry if it seems like i'm picking your brains, i am just contemplating replacing the differential instead of getting a new car
  3. U

Wanted Front Differential for a 1997 XLT V6 4.0L

I am looking for a replacement differential for my explorer. Mine has started grinding when 4 wheel drive is engaged. If anyone would like to sell theirs, i'm looking for a price around $125 or $150
  4. U

Fast Idle, help!

How do I get the 5% discount?
  5. U

What is my Front differential gear ratio?

Does anyone know how to tell what my front differential's gear ratio is? I have a 1997 XLT V6 4.0L Automatic
  6. U

I can't seem to pull up the video you posted. Can you just give the title of the video and i'll find it? Also, about how much did it cost you for a new transfer case?
  7. U

Fast Idle, help!

So you think it is the AZ IAC that is causing the issue? Where can I get a Motorcraft IAC for cheaper that $134? (OreillyAuto)
  8. U

Fast Idle, help!

I have this same issue, although I have replaced my IAC with one from Autozone. I'm not sure what is going on with it because when I shift to neutral when the idle is high it will rev up to about 2100 RPM and then after 3 seconds drop to 600 RPM. Occasionally when i'm in drive it will go down...
  9. U

New Guy with a question!

how did you fix the sporadic idle? My explorer is doing the same thing, although it seems to run pretty constant at about 1200 RPM. I have just replaced the IAC because my old one was causing my car to idle so low that it would choke out
  10. U

Where was the driveshaft skipping for you? was it skipping between the tranny and the front transfer case or was it skipping on the actual axle?
  11. U

Sorry I haven't gotten back. I replaced the CV, but it didn't fix anything. Talked with a guy at the auto part store he said he thinks it might be the actuators, another guy I talked to said to lift the whole car and put it on jack stands and then to rotate the axles and see if there is...
  12. U

had 4wd flashing lights? what fixed it?

i have flashing lights and grinding in my front differential. I haven't tried anything other than fuse #26 as posted elsewhere, but that did nothing. I have read that it could be loose connections either in your shift motor, or in the switch itself, but i have not had time to verify if that is...
  13. U

My list of Explorer - "How to" videos

throttle body zip tie mod = awesome! Great videos!
  14. U

Bass Tube

just be careful to not overload the head unit. If you add too many speakers it raises the resistance and can kill your head unit
  15. U

I'll inspect the hub as i'm replacing the cv axle. Thanks for the help brooklynbay!
  16. U

so here is a new development. I've found that when my 4 wheel drive is on and i'm rolling forward at idling speed that there is no grinding or popping, it is only when i accelerate that it pops. I also found that when i turn sharply it pops as well. Is it possible that it could be the C/V...
  17. U

btw BrooklynBay, thanks for the quick response
  18. U

i only hear it when the 4 wheel drive is engaged. It sounds like its only coming from the front left, but that is also where the differential is, so i'm not really sure. I know my hubs aren't bad though because there isn't any play in the wheel when the car is lifted up on a jack. Could the...
  19. U

Second Gen Back window like toyota 4runner

Just curious... has anybody thought of swapping out ford's pop open back window for a window that rolls down like the toyota 4runner? Just curious if anyone thinks it can be done.
  20. U

Bass Tube

Both of these are correct. It depends on the bass tube. Does the bass tube have RCA inputs or speaker wire inputs? If it just has RCA you'll either need to replace the deck or get a Hi to Low level converter. If it has the speaker wire inputs you could just tap into the door speakers. What...
  21. U

I have a 97 Explorer that has little problem. Last fall I went off roading and ended up scraping the bottom of my car on a rock. I didn't notice any problems until about mid winter when I was driving around in the snow and the automatic 4 wheel drive would kick in when the back tires slipped...
  22. U

97 center console lid upgrade ( pic's )

i used a edge router with a rounded bit. It took some estimating to get the curve to end in the correct place on each side
  23. U

HELP! 97 Explorer won't even turn over

rjbdam! That was it... i should have looked back at this sooner. I found a post for it http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2781368&postcount=19 and also http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219144&highlight=shifter+bolt+fell Thanks for the awesome help guys...
  24. U

Awesome Forum!

Hi All, I have been using this forum for a while, and have been a member for almost a year, and have never introduced myself. I have a 97 4.0 L XLT explorer. I haven't really done much to mod it other than my custom fabricated arm rest, my CB radio just underneath it, my switches for my mp3...
  25. U

4 Wheel Drive Grinding Issues

thanks for the reply yavapaires. i guess its not the transfer case, it would be the front differential for the 4 wheel drive power in the front wheels. It only makes the noise when the 4 wheel drive engages. Could it be as simple as a c/v joint or wheel bearing?
Back