Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Rattling noise

Napa had a replacement kit for the sway bar links. Cost around $35. Just reuse the sway bar.
  2. J

How To: 3rd Gen Rear Pinion Seal and Gear Oil Replacement

My mistake, it's not part of the vin, but it is listed under axle on the sticker on the drivers door. If it D4, then it is a limited slip.
  3. J

sloppy limited slip rear diff

pretty sure. I can turn the driveshaft by hand back and forth and feel the slop. Also, when I back up around a corner, you can hear it catch and bind as one wheel rotates faster than the other wheel.
  4. J

sloppy limited slip rear diff

Bought my 04 used with 23000 miles on it. The limited slip diff clanks when putting into gear. Now at 60,000 miles, it's real sloppy. Anyone else with this issue? Any recall notices on these? I couldn't find any, but hoping Ford has recall cause a bad rear end at 23,000 isn't right.
  5. J

Rattling noise

Just repaired my rattle. Check the sway bar links. 6 out of 8 of my rubber grommets where gone. Can buy replacement kit for around $35.
  6. J

I can give you the code tomorrow if I remember. It's part of the vin#. Drop a PM if you don't see post late tomorrow.
  7. J

Oxygen sen bank 2 sensor 2 location?

Thanks, I came to the same conclusion. I have a choice of 11" or 15" wires for the o2 from part store. I'll crawl underneath tomorrow and see which one I need.
  8. J

Oxygen sen bank 2 sensor 2 location?

My 2005 has service engine soon light. Pulled the code P2272--Oxy sen stuck lean, bank 2 sensor 2. Can someone tell me where to locate it? Drivers side, pass side? Thanks
  9. J

Got to squeeze the bottle. You won't get it all out but you only need about 1.5 qts if I remember right so you will have plenty. Don't forget to put in your friction modifier first. Modifier only needed with limited slip diff.
  10. J

bullet proof differential?

Pretty sure it's not the u-joint. I can see the yoke from the differential rotate back and forth. Also forgot to mention that sometimes when backing up and turning the rear end will "clunk" and you can feel a jerk. Something is not as it should be.
  11. J

I haven't torn it apart yet, but I believe it's the ring and pinion. If I shift from drive to reverse, I can watch the driveshaft turn 1/4 to 1/2 rotation before it catches. Otherwise, it is quiet and smooth on the road.
  12. J

My 05 with a limited slip 3.73 has tons of slop at 27,000 miles. Instead of an OEM from Ford that is probably just as junk, does anyone have any suggestions on parts or other ideas on how to replace or rebuild it so that it last like a real differential should? Latter models any better...
  13. J

02 V6 has ISSUES!!!

I'd check the compression just to be sure that's not the problem. Overheated and running rough at idle sounds like a Malibu that I had for a couple of weeks. It as a compression issue.
  14. J

02 V6 has ISSUES!!!

Good job! Always feels good to get things running good again. Especially after investing a bunch of time and effort into it.
  15. J

Need help for spark plugs on 2005 explorer xlt

Don't forget to use "antiseize" on your new plugs.
  16. J

Im being drained

Thanks for posting the find. Is the fix to replace pcm?
  17. J

Fast Idle, help!

Clean your idle air control valve and check for vacuum leaks.
  18. J

IAC Bolt Type? 03 4.6

first you need to get the broken bolt out with an easy-out, then you can match it up to the replacement.
  19. J

Paid too much???

real easy, get a list of the parts and compare what you were charged and what you could go buy them for. Then ask him to show you the "book" that details how long each part of the job should take. ie.. disc replacement--.75 hr, etc. Then ask his hourly rate. if he spent $600 on parts and...
  20. J

'02 Fuel Pump

1/2 empty fuel tank would be heavy, I always cut holes if the fuel pump is on top of the tank. Then when finished i paint the edges where the cut was made and seal with rtv. I like to cut with a 3" high speed cutter (air powered). Usually cut 3 sides and then pry open
  21. J

My 2002 Explorer is not running.

start at beginning, got spark? got fuel? got compression? check timing.
  22. J

Exhaust helpp

why does it burn valves?
  23. J

Better off with stock sized tires?

Sticking with stock body lift/really no lift, aren't the stock 235's better for your tranny and suspension? I had stock size 235's on my Trooper (All Terrains) and it seemed to get every where I needed to go. I know tranny is the weak link on the 3rd gen and I want to preserve mine as long as...
  24. J

5r55w 2ed to 3rd slip

I've never used the lucas for auto tranny's, but the TransX that I use often is almost like a solvent rather than ATF. You can see how it could clean out your sticky valves. I just put in a 15 oz bottle in my explorer a few days ago. No problems.
Back