Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Headlight Replacement

It's on the outside and I assume from 12 years of UV. I used a headlight restoration kit from Amazon, I believe it was Sylvania, about 2 ½ years ago. They're back to the cloudy yellowish haze you see on so many older vehicles. I've got pretty good DIY skills so I'm confident I did a thorough...
  2. G

Headlight Replacement

My 2011 headlamp assemblies (HID Projector) are quite fogged. I'd like to replace them but don't want to spend $1000 or more on OEM if possible. Anyone find quality replacements at a good price? Stuart
  3. G

My transmission air duct fell off

Mine was torn partially off last week while entering a below ground parking garage, apparently the approach angle of the Explorer couldn't handle it. One bolt was ripped out of the fiberglass and the metal bracket holding the rear bolt was badly bent. I'll try to repair the hole and bend the...
  4. G

Magnaflow Catback installed...

What had specifically had to be pounded? Enough so that it damages the old one?
  5. G

Magnaflow Catback installed...

Mine just arrived today. The drone issue now has me a bit concerned but I guess I have nothing to do but then to install and see how it sounds. Razzie how was the install? It looks like you had yours done at a shop? Is the installation pretty straight forward and does it just bolt on or is...
  6. G

Custom grille for a 2011 Explorer.

Too bad you don't get commission on the buys! :) Thanks. I painted the calipers while I had the wheels at the powder coat shop. I unbolted the calipers and held them up with strong zip ties. I removed the outer brake pads and then gave them (calipers) a good cleaning with caliper cleaner and a...
  7. G

Thanks. Just make sure you have them powder coated and not painted. Paint will not hold up to chipping like powder coating will. Note the center beauty caps are plastic and can't be powder coated. They'll need to be painted. I did a thorough job of sanding with 220 then 320 sand paper. Painted...
  8. G

Aries from Performancparts4less.com
  9. G

Groupbuy: Magnaflow Catback (Part No. 15467) for 2011 & 2012 Explorer 3.5 V6

What's the status on this buy? Any left, minimum quantity to get the price? Response to the questions regarding performance and mileage? Thanks for working this out?
  10. G

I painted mine myself. Took it apart completely, sanded well and painted with bumper black paint in a rattle can from the auto parts store. Here it is on my '11.
  11. G

Thinking of painting bumpers

I've put it all back together and it looks great. The only issue I have now is the chrome strip on the tailgate. I want to remove it and paint it. Anyone taken their tailgate apart?
  12. G

New Rims

Nice! That black X is going to look bad ass!
  13. G

Before you modify!

Of course many if not all of us frequenting this part of the Serious Explorations forums are interested in some level of modification to their vehicle. I just want to warn all of you interested that before you modify any part or remove a part you make sure you can get replacements. I'm in the...
  14. G

Yeah I have to tell you, when I finally get my Sterling Gray put back together I don't mind saying its gonna look awesome!
  15. G

Yeah, I was a bit incredulous with the parts guy saying "What happens if one of your guys in the back breaks a couple of clips?" His response was usually that type of repair is an insurance job so they just order a whole new trim piece" Nice, just another reason insurance prices are so high...
  16. G

Rattle can touch up paint? Source? Match?

After I had ordered from automotivetouchup.com I discovered that an auto paint shop (English Color) in my area can mix paint into rattle cans. I probably could have done better locally but unfortunately didn't figure that out until it was too late. I'm happy with the color match from Automotive...
  17. G

CAUTION: I'm in the process of reassembling my X after having the parts painted. Like the glutton for punishment I am I opted to remove the parts myself. Doing so I've encountered a couple significant stumbling blocks. 1. Not having the precise tool needed to remove the trim I ended up...
  18. G

Leather dye?

Anyone have experience with having their leather seats dyed another color? I've got the Pecan interior and while it looks great it just doesn't go with my vehicle. Now that I've done exterior mods it matches even less. I'd consider having it dyed if I knew the process can be done properly and it...
  19. G

powder coating

I'm still completing the transformation. A couple of parts came back from the painter in less than acceptable shape so not all the trim is installed. Once I get them back and installed I'll post pictures of the whole vehicle. I must say I'm getting excited at how the Explorer is looking and...
  20. G

powder coating

Yes you have to remove the tires from the rims, so there is an expense in addition to the powder coating cost. You'll pay about $20 a tire at most tire shops to have the tires taken off, replaced and rebalanced. The valve stems have to be destroyed to remove them so you'll pay another $5 (or...
  21. G

powder coating

Powder coating the wheels came in at $75 a piece. The calipers were a dilemma as I couldn't decide on color, black, blue or red. Because of that I chose not to have the calipers coated and just painted them. I didn't want to go through the process of removing them etc. to then not be happy...
  22. G

powder coating

Hope this works.... I'm only providing a close up until the rest of my mods are done.
  23. G

Police interceptor push bar?

Have you done this yet? I'm curious as to having the door handles painted turns out.
  24. G

powder coating

Just picked mine up from the shop today and dropped them off at Discount Tire to have the Hankooks put back on. I got there at close so it won't be until tomorrow till I have them back. I'll do my best to get a picture or two posted.
Back