Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Solved Exploring Forced Induction: The Fluid MotorUnion Ford Explorer Turbo Build Thread!

Sorry to take past the holidays to get back to you guys! It got a little hectic at the shop for various reasons. But we do appreciate all the kind words from you guys up to this point! That being said, let's address this comment: To answer your first couple assumptions regarding the tune...
  2. F

Solved Exploring Forced Induction: The Fluid MotorUnion Ford Explorer Turbo Build Thread!

You've waited patiently for it, now here it is -- dyno footage of Scott's twin-turbocharged Ford Explorer. The following video has been created to showcase the new sound and fury behind what started out as a stock 2006 Ford Explorer with the 4.6L Modular V8 motor. What started as an idea for...
  3. F

OJ (the owner) does understand where you're going with it. While this is a thought that's been in our heads, we won't know if it will happen until we encounter it. There are a number of 'what-ifs' involved in any bespoke build, and too much time would be dedicated to chasing down each and...
  4. F

Precision Turbo T3's (T3 on both the turbine and compressor sides). That's the easy question to answer. :) It's hitting full boost around the same time that the VNT's did. Regarding the MAF question, the program we're using allows us to tune the MAF, so it helps to eliminate constraints in...
  5. F

Alright, folks, we're back from the mysterious nothingness, and we've got a tale of backwash for you. Essentially, the nature in which the piping was arranged caused an unforeseen problem. As the charged air was coming from each turbocharger on separate sides of the motor, some of the charged...
  6. F

Good news, everyone! We're back! Just in time for Thanksgiving! Let's take a look at what's happened since we disappeared from the boards: The Rolling Stones sang, “Time is on my side.” Sometimes, though, it’s not on everybody’s side. Such is the case with the Explorer. As the VNT...
  7. F

Good news, everyone! The Explorer’s response and reaction to boost has exceeded our expectations…by quite a large margin. As everybody left for SEMA, the Explorer was fully assembled and ready to begin life doing dyno runs and adjusting the tune for both daily drivability and all-out...
  8. F

Thanks so much! We're always trying to do something different, and this build is definitely one of those. Appreciate the kind words; just wait until it's finished! It'll be a beast! We open at 8. :D
  9. F

We will have a video showcasing all of that, don't worry! It's one of my favorite types of media to mess around with, so I never let a bespoke build go silent :) Speaking of which, I'll just put this here... Video's coming!
  10. F

As we said yesterday, this exhaust wasn’t going to be a long job at all, as the downpipes connect to a single 3.5″ pipe via a Y-pipe connection, then the system goes through a muffler before emptying just in front of the rear wheels. On the second day of work, everything up until the muffler was...
  11. F

Such is the life of a car that sees Chicago winters (and the 250,000 tons of salt that comes with it -- no joke, we just fact-checked it).
  12. F

Update!! Seeing as how all the above-ground work is done on the Explorer (under-hood work, intercooler/oil/coolant lines, etc.), it’s time to dig deep. So deep, in fact, that we’re going all the way UNDERNEATH the car. This is a first for Fluid MotorUnion, working on something underneath a car...
  13. F

Today it’s back to some archived pictures from Scott’s twin-turbo Explorer build. We’re almost caught back up on it! Sorry we've been so slow on getting pictures out -- we're almost finished with a really intense SEMA build for a Mercedes CLK63 AMG Black Series, and it's been sucking up a lot...
  14. F

Pretty much as you said, the quality of both is similar, and this specific style of hose has never let us down on other builds. We're making sure everything for this build is the best quality we can get our hands on, as this kit could become quite popular one day.
  15. F

At this time, I don't know what's on the owner's mind, but as it's his daily driver, I'm sure he won't want to get too extreme with the exterior. But there's always something to do for next summer... Plus, nothing beats a sleeper :thumbsup:
  16. F

Quick little update from the FMU homestead. We've had some pretty crazy days this week, so I grabbed a few of the randoms and figured I'd get 'em out to you guys: Filters and piping for the filters are finalized and in place: Blow-off valves are welded into place on the underhood piping...
  17. F

The billet t-pipe did take a little long to make, but I'd say it's worth it. We won't be running crazy levels of boost, so we feel pretty confident with the composite intake. If this were our personal build, we'd probably get a little crazy and make a new intake, but at this time it's...
  18. F

I'll have to check with our guys on that. Powdercoating is pretty quick, thanks to the company we work with, so that may be an option we haven't put into practice yet. But I'll let you know! Time for some pictures: We’re blazing new trails here (not to make a Trailblazer pun) with a turbo...
  19. F

Thanks! If there's one thing we're incredibly proud of, it's our fabrication skills. None of these guys are older than 25, either. Our welder who made that aluminum box is but 21.
  20. F

Since it’s been a little while, we felt that we should put up some photos. When the intercooler piping was still being arranged, we set out to make a water reservoir for the system. Unlike air-to-air intercoolers, which runs the air through the intercooler where it drops in temperature, a...
  21. F

Thanks, guys! Swain Tech has never done us wrong with their coating skills. And it's efficient as all getout, too; we've had headers covered in the thermal barrier previously, and we've been able to touch the pipes while the car is on the dyno doing runs. Engine bay temps drop a great amount...
  22. F

Alright, gentlemen (and ladies), it's update time! After a long few weeks, we have received our piping back from Swain Tech, and wowee, they look great. Now that everything is freshly coated with a miniscule layer of thermal barrier, it's time to put everything back into the engine bay...
  23. F

Hahaha. You'd be surprised how often we hear that. We take a lot of pride in our work, and it's good to see it's being noticed :D They are 304, yes, and the coating serves the exact purpose you mentioned. No sense in taking on useless amounts of heat in the engine bay. We've got some...
  24. F

Pipes are heading to Swain Tech for thermal coating as we speak! Fluid Motor Union is approaching the end! 3 week lead time on the coating though :(
  25. F

You're more than welcome to come through the shop for a tour! Just give the office a ring at 815-230-2900, talk to Marilynn, tell her where you saw us and wanted to check out what we do. We're actually friendly people :) Haven't modded a 4.0 OHV, at least not since I've been here. You...
Back