Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

2004 Explorer Transmission Issues

Yeah the $1800 is accurate, at least where I live. Thats including fixing the valve body issues so it will cycle fluid all the time and sleeving the servo bores. I am waiting till mine starts slipping to get it done. I have 130k on it now and its had shift flare and other problems since I got...
  2. J

2004 Explorer Transmission Issues

Just get it rebuilt. Those trannies have lots of issues. A good trans shop will fix em all and rebuild it for $1800 installed.
  3. J

ac system vent failure

So what would the problem be if you ac and heat temp adjuster works fine but the zone selector doesn't work? I can adjust mine from hot to cold but I cant change where it comes out. Seems like it just comes out everywhere. It really sucks when I need defrost!
  4. J

Coil pack question

Sounds like replacing the coil pack is the way to go
  5. J

Looking at an 05 XLT....need advice

The transmissions are junk and the rearends are prown to leaking. Oh and the actuator flap in the dash goes out and you have to pull the whole dash to get to it and the thermostat housings crack as well. All in all mine is a pretty good car, just gotta take car of it.
  6. J

how to? gear oil?

Seems like the further I look into this, the worst it gets. 30k miles ago I had the fluid changed and the axle seals replaced at the dealer. They used 75/140. Fords msr says to fill it with the thicker fluid til it runs out and then add another pint threw the abs senser hole in the top of the...
  7. J

How To: 3rd Gen Rear Pinion Seal and Gear Oil Replacement

So you just retorqued the crush sleeve as tight as you could possibly get it with a breaker bar? Is there not a torque spec for this? Because it would be just my luck to mess it up
  8. J

how to? gear oil?

Heres a pic of the rear so you can see the plugs im talking about. The unit is extremely dirty, maybe from the previous leak or maybe it has a new one. I need to at least check the fluid level to make sure. So do you fill it to the level of the top plug?
  9. J

how to? gear oil?

Hello all. Its getting close to time to change my 04 explorers rear end oil and im thinking of doing it myself this time. The car has 130k miles on it now and the last time it was changed was at 90k at the dealer. They used 75/140 and replaced the axle seals because they were leaking...
  10. J

trans cooler

no i hadnt even looked. i traced the lines and its got a good size one between the radiator and condenser. thanks for the tip. guess adding a tranny cooler wont help then
  11. J

trans cooler

im thinking of adding a tranny cooler to my 04 4.0. theres alot of choices out there! what do you guys use?
  12. J

04 explorer 4.0 2wd trans questions

never mind the local trans shop is going to rebuild it for 1700 installed with 1 year warranty and fixing the valvebody and servo problems. thanks for the help NOT
  13. J

just one more thing from what i read you guys have CEL come on when the trans acts up? mine never comes on. only once when i needed a new EGR. the more i read, the more questions i have lol it looks like it could be a servo problem and might need sleeves? so if i pull the Solenoid block and it...
  14. J

hello just want to say i love the way the site is set up!! it only took me 15mins of reading to learn how to change my fluid and that i probably need to change the solenoid block. but i would like to run a few things over with you guys just make sure im right. the transmission(im not sure the...
  15. J

new guy bad tranny

hello all my names James and i am a proud owner of a 2004 explorer with 4.0. 2wd it has 116k miles i joined the site to learn how to service the transmission and maybe fix problems with it. i have found alot of info already but im still searching so any links would be appreciated anyone know...
Back