Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

My thoughts on a reason to stay away from FRAM oil filters...

That was a very good read. i guess i'm still a bit skeptical though...Not so much that they have not made strides in QC...but the fact that the filter in my Ex was made last year, and the metal crimp on the pleats was not holding the media together at the joint . I have no idea how a machine...
  2. E

My thoughts on a reason to stay away from FRAM oil filters...

I bought my Ex, and it had a Fram on it. The dealer said the oil had been changed the month prior, and had the service ticket to prove it had in fact been changed, and the Fram filter installed also, and it looked good. After a month of driving, my oil was pretty dark. Thought this can't be...
  3. E

5.0 oil filter problem

:mad:Bahhhhh! I feel for you guys. I've had a few Fords where the filter can be a real ***** to get at properly, and I've used relocation kits since the early 90's on my Mustangs. What's worse is using a premium filter like the K&N. They are a great filter, but for whatever reason, their...
  4. E

Anyone happy with their Ex?

I just got mine a month ago, and have spent quite a bit of time on here. I love my truck, as does my wife and my friends. I've had to do some work to it and found this place great to answer questions about things not well covered in an owners or Haynes manual, and you do see a lot of issues...
  5. E

Mystery Shimmy

So just got a bit of info that might explain it, but also raises a few other questions. I was told that if the mechanic manually turned the steering from the axle without the engine running and the steering pump rotating, (like to access the three bolts in the back to remove the bearing,) this...
  6. E

Mystery Shimmy

Hi guys. Got an unusual situation here. Today I took my 96 Explorer in for the front bearing/hub replacements that my dealer offered to do under the warranty. Great! They used quality SKF's. Took an hour and a half and I was on my way. So cruising back home and aproach the intersection where I...
  7. E

96 Explorer Timing Chain for 4.0 OHV

Hey guys. I have been digging here, and there are tons of threads for the SOHC timing chains, (Justifiably) and I noticed a couple threads that dealt with OHV timing chain replacement with engine removed from vehicle. Short and sweet here... My Haynes manual says the engine MUST be removed from...
  8. E

Weird dent in my hood

Haha! Yep! Tons of surprises on older vehicles. I mentioned the rockers and doglegs and a product that's fairly new to me. Waxoyl. That's how it's written. The stuff comes from England, and has been used by the military, aviation, and LandRover clubs to name a few because British climate...
  9. E

What oil is in your rig?

Good ol' Castrol GTX 10W30 with K&N oil filter. Loved synthetic for protection of internals over the years, but got tired of the premature gasket and seal leaks. My racing Mustang was always springing leaks around the valve covers,rear oil seal, and the timing cover. Didn't know it was the oil...
  10. E

Weird dent in my hood

Thanks Dono. I'm getting my cam back today, (been in the shop getting repaired), so I hope to post pics of my Ex. it's basically very much like the one in the photo, but I am just taking care of a couple small mechanical issues (passenger side axle seal, front passenger side bearing), then I'll...
  11. E

Weird dent in my hood

Ok....So with my lame post with no pics (Sorry) I had little response to my question, so I took a leap of faith, and decided to take matters into my own hands on a hunch. It wasn't a major issue, bet really dragged down the appearance of the truck. Especially with the metallic paint. I found...
  12. E

Best bolt ons for the 4.0L OHV?

I'm pretty new to the Explorer world, but am fairly well versed in Ford engines. Every vehicle we've owned has been a ford since the seventies (Lincoln's, Mustang's, Torino's, Bronco's, Econoline's, pickups etc. I find some of the comments harsh too, but knowing the nitty gritty of the 4.0L...
  13. E

Sheet Metal Gauge Sizes?? HELP!!

22 gauge cold rolled is the best or should I say easiest for shaping repair panels. Hot rolled is more pliable, but cold rolled just seems to have more rigidity, and is a little less succeptable to unwanted tool marks. Your choice of wire and gas is spot on. I find the cold rolled better for...
  14. E

Weird dent in my hood

Hi all. New here. I just picked up a 96 Explorer XL. It has been off road, has some bumps and bruises in the driver door that I can fix, along with a minor wheel lip repair, but I do have one dent that is real weird. It's dead center in my hood about the circumfrence as a basketball. it's...
Back