Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Need advice - 2017 Explorer or 2016 Expedition

While I understand this, the issue with our was to an extreme level, one of those "knock you down" levels of smell that could be re-created on demand and was told it can't be fixed. The thought of going through that again has me terrified, though I also understand it may not be an issue at all...
  2. S

Need advice - 2017 Explorer or 2016 Expedition

Some background as a quick summary. I purchased a 2015 Explorer 3.5 XLT two months ago. It's been plagued with the rotten egg smell they can't fix. I have an offer to trade in this one at no loss and have a decision to make. Either go with a brand new 2017 explorer, same package type, or go...
  3. S

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

My biggest concern is not so much that they fix the smell from getting into the car, but that it smells at all! Why would anyone want something that is either brand new or just a few years old the wreaks every time you go over 3k rpm or bull up a hill, or have more than 2 people in it on the...
  4. S

A/C Compressor Clutch noise

97 Expy 5.0 AWD, 215k miles. Started hearing a loud rattle sound coming from engine bay. Opening the hood I found the compressors clutch moving all around and rattling. Also had the odor of what smelled like burnt breaks/belt when I first heard the sound. Pretty sure this means the clutch is...
  5. S

Little things that need to be fixed on your Ex...

'97 5.0 AWD with 210k - fix driver door lock with spring - fix driver side rear door latch - patch sun roof seal - fix exhaust leak - replace ball joints, upper and lower, on both sides - replace sway bar links - replace auto HVAC actuator - replace 2 wheels - 4 new tires - fix fog lights -...
  6. S

How to: 2nd Gen Blend Door Quick Fix

Anyone have the original pictures from the how to thread on fixing this DIY? I'm going to attempt this in the next few weeks and would love to have a few quick visuals before getting started. Somehow, my actuator is rigged by the previous owner so that when you to switch between heat and air...
  7. S

Grinding in front, gets worse higher speed while accelerating - AWD

Alright after reading many posts here on different issues i figured I would post up exactly what I'm hearing in an attempt to narrow down what sounds like ti could be a few different possibilities. What my exp is doing: When at idol and letting off the gas for it to roll a little bit, I hear a...
  8. S

I'm noticing some specific chattering the more I really listen to it. Almost sounds like a chain if there was no oil on it. Would this be possible with tire differences or sound more like the actual transfer case having a problem?
  9. S

Replace Control Arms with ball joints?

So what brand would you suggest to do a total ball joint tie rod ends, and sway bar link replacements?
  10. S

Replace Control Arms with ball joints?

Can someone post the part numbers that are in that kit but are all moog parts? I'd like to do this same thing using all of those parts but using quality ones. Having a hard time putting all the numbers together needed. EDIT: nevermind, seems the ebay kit has the same part numbers used, they...
  11. S

This sounds closer to what it's doing. when back up it almost acts like it doesn't really want to at usual idle speed, and turning at slow speed clanks around. higher speeds it starts to vibrate above 40 and gets worse as it goes higher. I'm thinking a combination of things, maybe the...
  12. S

On my 97 AWD 5.0 Ex that I just picked up, I notice that it has a somewhat of a grinding-ish feel when accelerating, starts around 40-45mph. Don't feel it up to 40 mph. Also acts like it doesn't really want to go when starting off in reverse or turning at very low speeds. I see that while it has...
  13. S

1997 Mercury Mountaineer, 5.0L V8

Question for ya. I noticed earlier in the thread you had pictures of your ball joints before and after. How did it ride with the bad joints? I notice when i drive my 97 AWD that it feels a little lose driving around but not to the point that it's all over The place. Almost like it wants to...
  14. S

97 AWD 5.0 tranny question

I'm aquiring a 97 explorer 5.0 today for cheap, and I'm pretty sure it's going to need some transmission work. Currently, the car seems to be chattering some around 40mph, and also jumps from 1st to 2nd. It's my parents old car, and when they first got it the dealer programmed something in the...
Back