Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Something Different

I officially said good bye to the Explorer the other day. Sold it in favor of my new vehicle, a 1997 Taurus SHO. Faster, more fun, and louder. The Explorer was good to me but it was time for a change, I'd spent enough time and money on it and wanted something different. Maybe someday I will...
  2. T

4x4 Won't Engage and Wiper Issue

I believe that 4x4 control module can be had from RockAuto for about $170.
  3. T

Ideas about Rear End

There is no way I am going to pull that diff myself, you need the vehicle to be lifted to remove that IRS setup. It would take forever to pull that yourself, you have to remove both axle shafts, and then drop it from the vehicle, probably need a transmission jack since it must weigh over 100...
  4. T

Ideas about Rear End

It would still cost over $1000 to put a junkyard unit in. Junk yards want anywhere from $400 to $800 for a used differential, plus the cost to swap it in. I'd rather rebuilt it and have all new if I were to keep it.
  5. T

Ideas about Rear End

Ok so here's the deal, truck has 130k on it. Fully tuned up, new tires, new front suspension, all new rear axles and wheel bearings, all new brakes, cooling system is completely over hauled besides for a new water pump, and both cam tensioners are new. Truck's rear end is now failing, metal...
  6. T

Any good in the snow?

The explorer is very easy to handle in snow with a good set of tires, I have Cooper AT/3s on and it handed one of the biggest UP winters I have seen (225" last season) like a champ. The auto 4 wheel drive does the job fine but it gets annoying going in and out of 4 wheel, that's when I usually...
  7. T

Took it off road (barely) and now there is a crazy shake!!

Have your wheels balanced, that thick mud probably pulled 1 or even more weights off. After messing around in deep snow and getting back onto pavement I've had my vehicle shake pretty bad at high speeds, it eventually all falls or melts off from brake heat and its good to go.
  8. T

Aviator suspension rebuild time!

I'm not going to bother fighting 10 years of rust when a close buddy of mine owns a shop and can just zip everything off with an impact. Besides there is no way I am attempting to budge a 300ft-lbs torqued bolt after that many years, its probably equivalent to close to 400 ft-lbs by now. The...
  9. T

Aviator suspension rebuild time!

I'm going to be doing a front end overhaul on mine in the coming month or so, I have a lot of play up front. Shocks/springs were replaced by the PO but the rest is all original at 125k. All Moog problem solver grease-able components for me, that stuff is built to last, never had an issue with...
  10. T

turn signal mirrors???

Yes they should be plug and play, except for the turn signals. Follow Rondos post to run the wiring, but you can simply add the pins to the body side connector in the door, no need to run wiring into the mirror. A quick search of the forum and you will be able to find a few guys who have...
  11. T

turn signal mirrors???

If you want factory turn signals in your mirrors, look into Aviator Mirrors. They had turn signals built into the bottom. More expensive but a much cleaner mod.
  12. T

In need of quick rust fix

I just repaired a similar issue on my truck, exact same location. Trust me its way worse underneath. Pulling that plastic trim off will damage a lot of the remaining metal. On mine I could stick my hand up inside the wheel well and fit 3 of my fingers inside of the fender, that's how bad it...
  13. T

Service Engine Soon P0172

I realize that It really can't be the MAF since it is only 1 bank not both. My sister told me today that the exhaust really smelled of fuel like it was running rich. I took it for a drive and couldn't get it to smell as bad as she described but it did have a little more odor to it than normal...
  14. T

Service Engine Soon P0172

The service engine soon light came on today on my 2002 V6. Got the code read and came up with P0172. Truck is running fine, no misfire or running rich. Does that pretty much narrow it down to a bad 02 sensor or something funky with the MAF sensor, or is there something else that can trip that...
  15. T

2002 explorer should I buy

Wheel bearings need to be checked, those could be bad and may need replacement as gen 3's eat wheel bearings. Axles should be checked as well. Check the suspension like I said, you can make the call on if it needs work. Pretty much anything on a vehicle with 140k miles may need to be...
  16. T

2002 explorer should I buy

Check the build date. Early 2002 Models (pre March 2002) are known for way more problems. Late build 2002s (After March 2002) suffer from less of those early new model issues. The rear A/C could just be tired, I mean the car is 11 years old and has 130k+ miles on it. It could just be a bad...
  17. T

Converting from auto on column to auto on floor?

What good is a manual transmission explorer going to be. He needs all the automatic trans linkage. Let alone finding a manual trans 3rd gen, they only made them for 1 year and they were all junk base models. The early 4th gen explorers with the V6 shared the same 5 speed trans as the 3rd gen...
  18. T

Tensioner Replacement

My 02 4.0L currently has roughly 125k miles and has begun to leak oil from one of the valve covers fairly good. Since replacing the valve cover gaskets involves removing the intake manifold and etc. I was wondering if it was worth while to replace both of the cam tensioners when everything was...
  19. T

Clear Corner/Turn Signal Light Bulbs??

The silverstars are very nice and have a very deep orange light, they aren't made any more so those are probably just old stock, they are very hard to find.
  20. T

Power Folding Mirrors

The mirrors from the navigator are huge no way they would fit on an explorer. No explorer ever came with power fold mirrors, only newer large Ford Trucks.
  21. T

Power Folding Mirrors

The larger Navigator had power fold mirrors, no such option for the midsized vehicles.
  22. T

2002 Ford Explorer door ajar and alarm problem.

If its just your alarm going off its highly likely its the door ajar switches and not wire issues. I have replaced both door ajar switches and have been good since. The threads Rondo posted have good pics to show where the switches are, bottom of the latch assembly is the best description.
  23. T

Post pics of your tires

If you want to cut through snow like no other and still have a smooth efficient highway ride, look no further than the AT3s. I make my neighbors lifted jeep wrangler with 33s look like a sports car in the snow. It was a quite a strong winter, and still is in the U.P. Pic if from this summer...
  24. T

2002 Explorer- major alarm issues

Check the door ajar/alarm switch in the doors, drivers side and passenger side front doors were bad on mine, the alarm would act up any time it got below freezing. I replaced both, the drivers side is like 15 bucks and the passengers side is 50-60 if you get it online, Ford will roll you over...
  25. T

Towing with 265's ?

1500lbs to 200lbs is nothing for the explorer in terms of squatting, unless you load improperly. I was surprised that mine didn't squat at all when towing about 2 yards of top soil last summer, and that was defiantly heavier than 2000lbs. I have stock 245s but still i thought for sure it would...
Back