Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

5r55e

5r55e with the following symptoms; Low 1 engages properly low 2 engages properly drive engages but not fully somewhat but not at low speeds. overdrive engages but barely moves vehicle need high engine rpms to move reverse same as overdrive have new valve body and solenoids tighten...
  2. D

5r55e down shifting problem

My 99 explorer 5R55E is having a downshifting problem. Whenever it needs to downshift it disengages as if in nuetral, I let off the throttle when the rpms and vehicle slow to a certain point the gear needed will engage. Any thoughts. Also The only external sensor is my output shaft speed sensor...
  3. D

lower thermostat housing

Does anyone know if the lower thermostat housing has a gasket between it and the block? If not should you use any type of form a gasket to keep it from leaking ? I put a new housing unit on several months ago and now its leaking where the block and housing meet, or its cracked . I cant remember...
  4. D

shift flare 5r55e connundrum

Can shift flare happen from a dead stop (ie stoplight). My 5r55e seems to slip out of gear from a dead stop, then boom it engages. Although when you step on the accelerator it sometimes does have some engagement but not full engagement then full engagement.This also only happens intermitantly...
  5. D

tool list

could anyone provide a list of what would be considered universal tools for a transmission rebuild.
  6. D

ABS Sensors

my 99 rear abs sensor is located on the upperside of the rear differential. its the only item that has electrical connectors to it .
  7. D

tranny reverse 1st relationship

question; inside the 5r55e what is the relationship of 1st and reverse. I've had intermittent issues with 1st gear engagement which I posted earlier but had no replies. Now reverse did not engage this morning.I put in drive and drove about 15 feet then in reverse it then worked . Then 1st did...
  8. D

Rattling Shaking Noise - HELP PLEASE

The thing about rattles is that they can be the simplest thing at times. Check the simplest things first . I had a rattle on my s10, ended up being the rubber seal just inside the caliper where it receives the attachment bolts (.50 cents).Take into account the fact that you have to be traveling...
  9. D

intermittent no go from dead stop

99 explorer 5r55e transmission; From a dead stop every so often It feels like it wants to engage and then boom it does and depending on how much acceleration is applied dictates how hard it engages. This does not happen all the time but seems more often on a slight incline. Any thoughts?
  10. D

373 vs 410 rear end

I have a 99 explorer with a sohc 4.0 v6 with a 373 rear end . Heres my question ; Can you swap this rear end for the 410?, and if so , would this better or worse for the engine? Would this be better or worse on fuel economy? Anyones input would be great.:D
  11. D

ABS system

Thanks everyone for your input, but I have solved this mystery gang. The plastic retainers have become brittle and broke off the wiring plug (NO WAY!). This caused it not to be completely seated. I used bailing wire to hold it in position and tested my theory. And the winner is ; An improperly...
  12. D

cam chain guide noise

Thanks for the info. Somehow I knew it wouldnt be an easy fix. BUt heres the million dollar question. Has Ford redesigned the part so as not to cause the same problem ?
  13. D

cam chain guide noise

Has anyone come up with a fix for the cam chain guide noise in the 4.0 SOHC. Its in a 99 explorer . My engine sounds like a bunch of bolts rattling around in a tin can. :(
  14. D

ABS system

99 explorer, I recently changed my speed sensor located in the rear diff.. It send s info for the tranny and abs . Now when you just about come to a complete stop the abs engages. The abs is functioning but at the wrong time. Any info would be great.
  15. D

Transmission model numbers.

thanks for the reply
  16. D

I'm brand new to this site,anyhow one is a 99 (xl2p-DA)and the other is a 2000(1L5p-EA). I want to put the 2000 in the 99 . The 2000 has one extra sensor. Its just above the transmission range sensor.My thinking is ; If their is no wire to plug in then the pcm will not be looking for it anyway.
  17. D

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the 5R55E Model # 1L5P EA, and the 5R55E model #XL2P DA. If so please explain. Thanks in advance
Back