Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

97-01 Intake Manifolds - Common Locations to Crack?

I pulled the upper manifold off when it was 2 degrees fahrenheit and it still did not shatter or crack. I'd like to figure out if these cracking manifolds happen to be fact or fiction. I've always been nervous about torqueing these plastic Ford parts on properly. But as i stated, I torqued the...
  2. M

The torque rating for the bolts seems too light at 62 inch lbs. This is something like 5.1 ft lbs. Considering that the bolts are self tapping, you'll never get an accurate torque reading. I'd still like someone to show where the upper manifold tends to crack or if shops are just out to rape...
  3. M

SOHC V6 4.0L I've read about speculation on cracking but can find no photos other than info stating "my mechanic told me so". I had to replace the lower thermostat housing and I've got the upper intake manifold off for the 3rd time in about 2 years and went over this turd with a fine tooth...
  4. M

Inner Tire Wear Issue

Actually, I've lowered many coil over suspensions and dealt with negative camber issues. However, torsion suspension has the opposite effect. I had to dig around online and also find out for myself. After lowering it I have no steering issues and the vehicle handles much better. The alignment...
  5. M

Inner Tire Wear Issue

I believe some of the steering and unsafe handling issues are also in relation to that awful sag in the rear. Maybe someone could help me here as I have only a small bit of knowledge on leafsprings. The gap between the rear drivers side tire and fender lip is slightly over 2", about half the...
  6. M

Inner Tire Wear Issue

The alignment shop owes us one... I created a quick time lapse with my camera mounted to see if the geometry changed. This is a poor example, unfortunately. I must have cranked that bolt 15 times counter-clockwise. The ball joints will most likely absorb some of the suspension angle changes...
  7. M

Inner Tire Wear Issue

I have fender to wheel gap to about 4-3/8" and it drives and steers much safer. I tried to do a time lapse video to watch if the wheel moved to a more positive camber. However, it won't immediately change without the front being in the air.
  8. M

Inner Tire Wear Issue

I might have that backward. Torsion is a bit different than coil overs that I'm used to. The ride is pretty stiff and tightening the torsion bolt might be doing the opposite with the camber. It appeared to be straightening out but that might be my eyes decieving me.
  9. M

Inner Tire Wear Issue

Does someone have the measurement for the stock gap between the top of the stock tire size and the center of the fender lip? I had a one inch difference.
  10. M

Inner Tire Wear Issue

I'm pretty sure it's the torsion bars. I adjusted them and it appears to have straightened out A LOT. Suspension too low = negative camber. Both sides are out of whack. Youtube video to come.
  11. M

Inner Tire Wear Issue

I tried to upload photos but it needs a host. Anyhow, under the vehicle it is very clear that it is has such a ridiculous negative camber.
  12. M

Inner Tire Wear Issue

Like I mentioned, it was put on a laser alignment machine twice, apparently. According to the numbskulls at Johnson Goodyear tire in Red Wing, MN. I can use my godamn eyeballs and see the inner angle while it sits in the driveway and they tell me the shocks are worn. The shocks are as solid as a...
  13. M

Inner Tire Wear Issue

Toe was checked twice.
  14. M

Inner Tire Wear Issue

The passengers wheel is 6-1/8" from the lip of the fender while the drivers side is slightly under 5-3/4".
  15. M

Inner Tire Wear Issue

Went back to the alignment shop twice. They claim that the alignment is up to spec but the shocks are the problem which is BS. There is nothing more they can do. That is why I was wondering about the torsion bars. I've done many tie rods and ball joints and understand the theory. 7 years ago I...
  16. M

Spark plug problems? or something else?

I haven't worked on our Explorer since spring so I am trying to recall what common problems arise with these. Just the other day I had the same issue on a friends car and he was jumping to conclusions without actually doing basic tests (fuel pressure, vacuum, spark, compression, etc). It had...
  17. M

Inner Tire Wear Issue

99 Explorer AWD 4.0L V6 After replacing the upper control arms, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and wheel bearings I brought it in for an alignment. I told them to adjust the adjustable upper control arms. A few months later the front tires wore down at the inside. I do not drive it...
  18. M

1998 Explorer 4.0 misfire...

....Let us know the damage. If they find it.
  19. M

1999 Explorer SOHC Stumble at Idle

I seem to have multiple issues that may or may not be related. After reading about GEM functions I did not realize there was a door chime. Either it is not functioning or someone had intentionally removed it (car dealership) because it may have been stuck on due to early GEM failure signs...
  20. M

It has been raining for the last couple days. It is stalling at intersections possible because of the rain.
  21. M

1998 Explorer 4.0 misfire...

30 psi? I am pretty sure that it is supposed to be 60-65psi. But there apparently is a returnless fuel system (which I have) and a typical return system with lower pressure. If you have the 2 piece fuel rail without a return line you probably have the same system as I do.
  22. M

How to: Overhead console display fix - 2nd Gen

So I read this and took my center display out. There was ZERO melted solder connections. There was continuity between all resistors. I took the resistors out and resoldered them anyhow. They pretty much fall out once you touch them with the solder gun. IT WORKED! If they look fine...
  23. M

I'm not a great spark plug analyzer. I'm not sure if this is normal or the lean running "hot" spark plug look.Also, are the electrodes supposed to look like that on Platinum plugs? The gap was about .045. Regapped the plugs. Are Autolite Platinums a good plug for this engine? I know some...
  24. M

I have another question. Fortunately, I found ForScan for my Elm327 adapter. This software works awesome for Fords (and even does a IAC test). It scanned additional computer modules such as the GEM and ABS. I have read about the GEM being corroded from water dripping down the dash. I have a GEM...
  25. M

Sea foam which vacuum hose for 4.0L SOHC?

This was posted near the top, which describes the method. http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTr...ts/seafoam.pdf Yes, it will stall on it's own, depending on the amount of liquid that the negative pressure from the intake manifold vacuum line pulls in. This depends on how long you hold the...
Back