Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Squealing Noise When Wet, Belt?

Yes that is exactly what I experience with mine. I haven't taken it into the dealer yet, but I am outside of my warranty now. On my recent road trip down south I went through a ton of rain and it was doing it regularly, about 1-2 seconds of squeal then it stops and I do get the sensation of...
  2. J

Bottom Door Edge Issue??

the bottom edge of my doors were repainted when I took my truck in for it's 2 year rust protection inspection , as I purchased extra rust protection when I bought the truck. The paint is rubbing off again. The clear strip sounds like the best idea, my door edges had rust proofing on them too...
  3. J

Squealing Noise When Wet, Belt?

Belt Squeal Noise In Rain I always get a belt squeal noise when driving in the rain on my 2012 Explorer xlt v6. It sounds like an accessory that clicks on squeals and then shuts off, it lasts maybe 2 seconds and then goes away. I used to think maybe it was the a/c compressor but on a road...
  4. J

Anybody had the Throttle body "flush" @ 30k Svc. pushed on you by dealer?

Is A Throtle Body Service a Legit Maintenance Procedure ? When I look at my Ford dealer's maintenance service packages they seem to differ from what is listed in my owner's manual for my 2012 Ford Explorer V6 XLT. I know in the past they have told me that I need to replace my fuel filter on a...
  5. J

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

My sister had blistering paint bubbles on her 2012 Ford Edge, it is a black metallic paint colour, not sure the name of the colour but the same colour is used on the Explorer (different assembly plant though). She had about 20 paint bubbles, and when the bubbles broke they exposed the whitish...
  6. J

Regular or Premium Gas

Thanks for the added replies Peter and Doc. I tried the 89 octane as I was wondering if my engine had retarded ignition timing over the last while due to light pinging I was experiencing, hence the experiment. The pinging seems to have disappeared for now. Over the next two weeks...
  7. J

Regular or Premium Gas

Thanks for the reply, so the ecm won't advance timing to benefit from higher octane ?. Light pinging at low rpm and low throttle input is usually harmless, if there isn't any benefit from 2 points of octane I may just go back to 87.
  8. J

Regular or Premium Gas

Any Benefit Running 89 Octane Fuel in 3.5 V6 Explorer ? I was getting a light bit of pinging running 87 fuel for the last while, nothing crazy, just a small bit under initial throttle input. I've been running 87 octane for 120k kilometers on my 2012 V6 Explorer. I put in a full tank of 89...
  9. J

When will there be another Mft upgrade?

Since my last update I've had zero issues with MFT, it has been flawless for the longest time since purchasing my 2012.
  10. J

Rear Brake Pads Replaced On My 2012 Explorer Today, Well Ahead of Front Pads

I changed my rear brake pads this weekend with 115,000 kms on them, I've had my 2012 Explorer for about 2.75 years, it is a FWD XLT. While the life expectancy of the rears seems reasonable my front pads still had 40-50 percent pad life left on them. On all of my other vehicles the rear pads...
  11. J

2012 3.5L Spark Plug Change... Anyone Change Their Plugs ?

Yup from what I could see on the front three plugs they had quite a bit of life left in them still. The gaps had opened up a bit but probably well within their service range. I won't bother checking the rear plugs at this point. :salute:
  12. J

Thanks for the reply, I'll file that in my favourites for future reference. Based on the condition of the front plugs I won't be messing with the rear plugs as they likely have a lot more life in them. I was curious to see how the front plugs looked as my fuel economy has been a bit worse...
  13. J

I put a lot of miles on my truck for work purposes. I thought my fuel economy was dropping so I pulled the front spark plugs to check their condition today. The rear three plugs are under the intake manifold. I was just curious if anyone has changed the plugs on their 3.5L engine ?. I...
  14. J

Run 3.5L V6 on 5w20 for higher Miles ?

I appreciate all of the replies thus far. Bill have you committed to running any specific viscosity over all of the ones you've tried ?. Thanks for nay additional replies. :thumbsup:
  15. J

Run 3.5L V6 on 5w20 for higher Miles ?

When I bought my 2012 Explorer with the 3.5 V6 I committed to driving this for at least 7 years, I use my truck for work and I put a lot of miles on it in a year. After just over 2 yeas I have 99k kilometres on it. If I run it for 7 years (assuming it doesn't croak) I will have about 320k...
  16. J

Took My 2012 XLT FWD in for Tranny Service Today - Clunking Drivetrain Issue

I believe it is called a pcm update, so they download a new program, not just a re-learn procedure as far as I know. It has made a noticeable difference in all respects.
  17. J

So far so good, the issue hasn't repeated itself and I have noticed an improvement overall. Thanks for the follow-up. I have a 2012 xlt fwd 3.5L v-6, with 98,000 kms.
  18. J

Winter complaints

This is what I do on my Explorer. When needed I just reach behind with my hand an turn the fan control knob on as high as I feel is needed, and I keep the vents blowing towards the windows. I do it with all four, but you can close some off and push more air towards the ones you want.
  19. J

Winter complaints

I have a 2012 XLT, front wheel drive with the 3.5 L V6.
  20. J

Winter complaints

I was actually going to start a separate post about the long heat up time for the engine in cold winter conditions. It seems to take forever to get the temp gauge to move and heat to come out of the heating system. I would also say it takes about 6km to get some heat going, and that might...
  21. J

Yup that sounds very similar to what I had, it felt really bad. I hope this has been corrected, it will take some time to be sure as I only had it done 24 hours ago, but I have put on 300 miles today :)
  22. J

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

I don't get a burned smell, I just get the bad rotten exhaust smell, and I believe it enters the vehicle due to the aero design of the rear end like mentioned in one of the above posts.
  23. J

I have been having a harsh clunking sensation in the drivetrain occasionally. It usually happened after lifting throttle and allowing the truck to coast a short bit, then when re-applying throttle and I would sometimes get a real harsh clunk in the drivetrain. It happened intermittently. I...
Back