Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Where to ground amp behind third row

What are the dimensions on that box? I've been dying to install my 10" Alpine TypeE but none of the boxes I already have even come close to fitting behind the 3rd row.
  2. P

How to: Painted Pillar Trim

BigRondo, I'm glad you found my thread and it gave you new hope. I believe your problem was that you are using a gloss black and then trying to clear over that. Basically, the slow-curing clear in the single stage black is reacting against the speed of the clear-only spay. If...
  3. P

noise while turning steering wheel

I have a similar issue with my '02 XLT. Turned out it is the RF wheel bearing. Makes a "shimmy" feeling and creeks when turning the wheels from a stop or low speeds (because of the play in the hub).
  4. P

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

How exciting (sarcasm), I get to do this tomorrow. Glad I had the motivation to do a tire rotation before getting on my way to towing a vehicle 120 miles. Obviously I postponed the tow. I think i just dodged a bullet!
  5. P

How to restore door pillars

A co-worker of mine was really jealous of my pillars and demanded I do the ones on her XLS so I gave it a go with the vinyl today. Here are the results Took 3 hours to do all 6 pillars. That includes removal and reinstall of side pillars and sanding prior to laying the vinyl...
  6. P

Sorry to hear. I live in a pretty nice area filled with trophy wives who all fall under the 'privileged' category :D You can get it on ebay, but unfortunately from a quick search it looks like it's all 10yrd rolls or larger. You could probably get away with 1yrd if you watch your...
  7. P

Door mirror question (compatability and wiring)

Thanks again. Yeah, unfortunately the whole family was in the car so they all witnessed ME run into the garage. My wife isn't letting this go without a few hundred more laughs.
  8. P

Door mirror question (compatability and wiring)

First off: Kids, loud noises, not paying attention while backing out of the garage, you know the drill. I found a replacement mirror w/puddle light + w/heat. My Ex only has puddle light. My question is: Will the harness on the heated mirror still physically plug into...
  9. P

Post pics! @Joe, I've been detailing for 11 years now (since I was 16). Amazing how the detailing world has changed. I have a PC7424 (w/6" backing plate), PC7424XP(w/5" backing plate) and a PC7428 rotary. Literally used the rotary 3 times in the last 100+ details. With the new...
  10. P

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Thanks! I'll get at it one of these days.
  11. P

Just sand until the surface is smooth and uniform. Any un-level surfaces will show through the paint or vinyl. You just need it to be smooth. After painting, you use 2000grit or finer. What buffer did you get from autozone? You could have picked up a Porter Cable 7424XP with a starter...
  12. P

Yeah, some of mine were broken too. I just picked up some small plastic/PVC washers from the local hardware store and used those when I reinstalled.
  13. P

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Great write up :thumbsup:. Feel free to do the rear actuator now. Mine is stuck on cold so you've got a couple months as we're just entering summer :D
  14. P

I got the vinyl from a local sign shop. Pacific Coast Sign in Portland, OR Those tails look awesome Joe, well done. Looks factory. Also, I was thinking I could get away without doing any prepwork other than washing the pillars. WRONG! :eek: once the vinyl dries, it settles and...
  15. P

^^ What model # is the DeWalt? You might just need to buy a different backing plate that accommodates hook&loop pads. I'd be careful using a rotary (that's what the DeWalt will be), it's extremely easy to burn the paint off on small plastic parts like this, especially if you're new to...
  16. P

Mine is an '02, It has rivets.
  17. P

Hey guys, Just finished mine. First off: I saw someone asking how to remove the driver door panel with the keypad. Here are pics showing how, it's really easy. Take it off just as Rondo described in his post a page back with 1 extra step: Disconnect the wiring harness Pinch...
  18. P

I saw there was already a thread on this but I didn't want to hijack it with all my pics so I'm making my own since I used a different process. Here is the other thread which will explain how to remove the pillars on pages 3 and 4. Okay, here is my process: After removing the 4...
  19. P

2002 Ford Explorer Front Passenger side cold/ driver side warm

Thread revive: My '02 XLT won't produce heat from the rear vents. I can get cold and hot from the front vents but the rear only blows COLD air. Set both F&R controls to fan speed4 and temp to hot, just cold air from the back. Need to get this working correctly as winter is here and my babies...
  20. P

'02 XLT Limited detail *tons-o-pix*

No problem Joe, thanks for answering the questions. I have a full time job, detail on the side and 2 kids. I don't have a lot of time to post, mostly only get a chance at night when the kiddos are in bed. I'm not on MOL, never heard of it. Funny because I almost exclusively use Meguiar's...
  21. P

M105 on a yellow foam pad. Couple quick passes with my pc7424. Make sure to tape off all rubber and plastic as the m105 on yellow pad will burn.
  22. P

Yes, and finished with P21s. 105/205 is my favorite combo.
  23. P

Had a few spare hours today so I decided to start cleaning up my Explorer that I just bought last Thursday. I got pretty far. I got most of the swirls out, roughly 80-90%, cleaned under the wheel wells and removed the water spots off the glass. Next day off I'll be re-vamping the plastics...
  24. P

2003 4.0 L Engine Compatibility

According to Car-part.com's search engine. 01-03 are your interchangeable years. Looking into it a bit more... It looks like you can span out a bit further. As long as the 8th digit in the VIN is an "E", the engine should be the same.
Back