Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

1991 CD Player Installation how to

This is my how-to on installing an aftermarket CD Player into a 1991 XLT 4x4 Explorer. Sorry I didn't take pictures - it was so much of a pain in the ass that pictures was just out of the picture. :D This isn't the greatest write up; But I hope that it helps someone. Tools needed: Ford...
  2. W

Lift Kit Ideas and Tires

500-1000??? how much can it be done for on my own with the help of a mechanic. Will look on axle cover tmmrw for info. Just walked in the door and its right at 11PM here. As far as the 6inch lift what brand?
  3. W

Lift Kit Ideas and Tires

I have no idea what kind of gears I have; all I know is 1st,2nd,3rd,4th, and 5th :( Tell me how to find this information out and I will this weekend. I thought hard this evening at dinner about cutting my fenders; I figured what the hell its not a collectors item LMAO its my 4-wheel mo-bile...
  4. W

Lift Kit Ideas and Tires

I really don't want to cut my fenders if I don't have to; 91 first gen 4wd explorer thats flawless on the body.
  5. W

Lift Kit Ideas and Tires

I know nothing about re-vamping gears on a vehicle; is it something i could figure out & how easy are they to access?
  6. W

Lift Kit Ideas and Tires

tire size / budget trying to stay under $700 on the lift kit Tire size: Pretty set on 35's (I believe from what I have read this is the biggest I can go with out any SAS)
  7. W

Lift Kit Ideas and Tires

Slowly but surely So I have turned my $1000 4x4 explorer into an almost error free machine: I have currently added new bushings to the rear window to make them roll up & replaced a door hinge so there is no sag. Now its time to take on some mods. I collected the ideas that I want to do & what I...
  8. W

DeRocha's Door Hinge Pin Replacement w/pics

Just completed this on my explorer... Tools I used: Jack (As pictured) Rope (Tie off as pictured) 13mm ratchet Dremel Allen Wrench Screw Driver (Just a 6 in 1 ryobi) Anti Seize Lube Hammer My followup notes to assist the next person (Use Derocha's notes and use these as add on...
  9. W

Lift Kit Ideas and Tires

Thanks for all the input guys! Slowly but surely I am putting ideas together; No need to rush things.
  10. W

Lift Kit Ideas and Tires

Can I weld - No Do I have a good friend who can for free - Yes :D Why swap vs. just putting spacers on? Spacers seem so much easier...what is a 9" ?
  11. W

Lift Kit Ideas and Tires

Awesome link lots of great information there!!! Looks like a Dana 44 with the 38's may be more up my alley...Dana 60 may be overhaul for me. I still can't figure out why no one is talking about the rear axle? Will I need to change it out also?
  12. W

Lift Kit Ideas and Tires

I just want to use this for muddin and bad winter days. Muddin is where the problems will mainly occur. Thanks for the idea of an axle swap first before even looking at rims. Now when you go about buying a new axle do you go to the junk yard or is this something to buy online? Newbie here! I...
  13. W

Removing rear speaker problem

Nevermind...found how to remove it...just pulled it through..its a flexible piece.
  14. W

Removing rear speaker problem

So I am removing the rear speaker; I have come to a hault when I ran into this piece not allowing me to pull the wire thats plugged into the speaker through the panel. I could break the piece seeing how I don't even understand the point of it; Does anyone have a systematic way of removing this...
  15. W

Lift Kit Ideas and Tires

Anyone have a lift kit they recommend installing...things to install so lift kit works properly?
  16. W

Power Window Bushing Replacement

found problem
  17. W

Lift Kit Ideas and Tires

Thanks for the idea on the II's...those look sharp!!! If I was to buy them what size rim should I go with on this explorer with the tire I want?
  18. W

Lift Kit Ideas and Tires

Just bought a project 91 4x4 explorer today! $1000 :us: Basically got a steal on it...yes it runs LMAO!!! I think it needs new U-joints for the 4x4 but will fix ASAP probably this week! First line of modifications for me is going to be a lift kit along with swampers. This is similar to what I...
  19. W

1991 Ford Explorer 4x4. Knocking with a temperature increase.

Also I want to note that I smelt something like a burning smell when I put it in 4wd and it made the thump. I was reading on this forum about it possible being U-Joints binding up??? Yes/No ???
  20. W

Yes but remember this is only when I am in 4WD and only after moving the vehicle roughly 10-15ft does it even make this knocking sound. 2wd the ENGINE works great.
  21. W

Power Window Bushing Replacement

AWESOME WRITE UP!!! I have this problem on 3 windows right now; just bought a fixer upper!!!
  22. W

Tnx Thank you for moving me to the correct location; Looks like I have found a good forum home!!! :yelexp:
  23. W

91 Explorer 4x4 (manual) The good: It runs great in 2wd so at least I can drive it The bad: When I engage the 4wd all is well; Even if I just set in one spot with it engaged the vehicle is fine. Once I decide to give it some gas after about 15ft it makes a hard thomp...after 10ft later...
Back