Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

shocks/struts for my 2005 ford explorer xls sport

$250 for 4 KYB quick struts?? Where?? these run $130 a piece at amazon, which is the cheapest i found.
  2. F

Thats what "quick strut" stands for, already assembled and ready to put in. Definitely go with the quick struts. Just make sure you go with KYB for the rear. Fronts, it doesnt matter, they are all pretty decent. If i had to do it all over again, Id go with Gabriel for the fronts over the FCS...
  3. F

2002 Explorer Rear Camber Issue

Most shops that do alignments only adjust the Toe for the price they advertise. Caster and camber is usually extra.
  4. F

2002 Explorer Rear Camber Issue

My 05 Mounty's rear wheels have an inward lean, but not nearly this bad. Thought the struts were bad or worn/cracked coils, so i replaced them with KYB quick struts - it helped a little bit but the lean is still there. .Im going to take mine to an alignment shop to see what they have to say...
  5. F

Removing third cat temporarily due to bad rattle

Theres no harm done in removing the 3rd cat as long as you see no o2 sensors after the cats....IIRC, Ford changed o2 sensor locations twice i believe on the 3rd gens. Alot of the guys with the 4.6 remove the 3rd cats to get a better exhaust note when putting on a performance muffler.
  6. F

Explorer 2004 v8 4.6L, limited, transmission flush

Do NOT do this at home...3rd gens have a sealed transmission....take it to a shop to have it done. Do not do a flush if it has a ton of miles on it. My best recommendation is to have a shop that has experience with the 5R55S to do the flush and trans fluid change, or a Ford dealership.
  7. F

If you don't want to spend much, you aren't going to like my answer. From personal experience, KYB is the best of the best for this generation Explorer/Mountaineer. DO NOT BUY THE MONROE QUICK STRUTS....they are absolute garbage....I made that mistake, biggest waste of money i think ive spent in...
  8. F

4R70W 1-2 accumulator spring

I'm having the same hard 1-2 shift on my 5.0 ex with 115k on it. it only does it if you are getting on it a bit, but light acceleration it shifts normally. i had a 97 mustang with the 4r70w that would literally slam into 2nd even with very light throttle. dont know if i should dig into my...
  9. F

5R55E rough forward shifts

i recently picked up a 2001 explorer xlt SOHC with 150k on it. i have owned enough of these to know that something odd is going on with the transmission. All forward gears shift harshly...the engagement from park to drive is also harsh. Reverse engages very smoothly every time, no slamming...
  10. F

Neutral-bombing/harsh slip in reverse

I have a 99 Explorer that has 200k miles. the transmission neutral bombs when engine is cold in reverse. reverse engages fine, no slams, but after reversing for a few seconds the trans will go into neutral and regardless of how many times you put it out of reverse and back in, it still will not...
  11. F

5.0 4R70W torque converter slamming

Really. I've never heard of something like that.....are the D4 rear axle really that weak? Over the years I've been told that the D4 was one of the best rear ends ever made. I have almost no experience with them so i can't relate..
  12. F

I just bought another 5.0 explorer, this one is a 1999. this one has the SAME "binding" and noise coming from the rear end when turning. Is everyone sure that this isn't deemed "NORMAL" for the 5.0 explorer rear ends? I have only had 3 of the 5.0 ones, the one was many years ago so i dont...
  13. F

Power seat won't go forward, but goes

Most forum moderators typically have rules against reviving old threads, and it also tends to anger forum members. Luckily, the moderators on here are lenient and usually don't mind old threads becoming active again.
  14. F

Is it ok to use Mercon in place of Mercon V?

Hey all, I'm new to 3rd gens so I got a question. Is it safe to use Dex/Merc in place of Mercon V in the 5R55W transmission? I know everyone is going to say use Mercon V no matter what, but I am not a fan of it at all and highly prefer Dex/Merc. I have successfully used Dex/Merc in many 5R55E...
  15. F

Heres an update... drained the fluid and removed the cover. i inspected everything carefully and everything looked to be in excellent shape, i also had a mechanic buddy of mine stop by to give me a second opinion and he agreed that all the gears were in superb shape for the truck's age. I...
  16. F

Bronco is coming back...to Michigan

both the new Ranger and Bronco will probably be ugly. nothing will beat the originals.
  17. F

How is that going to tell me anything? The clutch packs are not located where the cover is at (according to a ford mechanic i spoke to the other day). It feels as if the rear end is getting worse, when i turn now from a stop the one rear tire will spin (this is with the front driveshaft still out).
  18. F

I bought a 1994 Aerostar with 80K miles!

4.0 OHV
  19. F

I bought a 1994 Aerostar with 80K miles!

i found a 80k mile 96 areostar extended 2 year ago at the dealer auction. i bought it for 800 and it blew up 80 miles later....catastrophic head gasket failure.... i scrapped it... .real shame cuz it was mint but it needed a motor and no one wanted it :(
  20. F

anyone use MAS Industries ball joints?

I've decided to start using this auto parts place on ebay to replace parts on my Explorer. I messaged them and their parts are made in Taiwan, not China. I will let you guys know how they hold up...
  21. F

Misfire at start-up...head gasket??

UPDATE: happened to be a faulty NGK V-power spark plug that failed. replaced it and it runs good now.
  22. F

Weird Non-metal flakes in Oil

The SOHC V6 engine is the one with the timing chain problems, they were not released till the 97 model year. Those motors do have 3 timing chains. The OHV V6 was the only V6 available from 91-96, meaning yours is indeed the OHV V6. They have 1 timing chain, but I have never once heard of a chain...
  23. F

UPDATE: removed the driveshaft, the same noise persists from the rear end. so i assume its the clutch packs.
  24. F

Dex/Merc in place of Mercon V

I'm a big Lubeguard fan, I have only used the black bottle but it has done wonders. I'm about to put some in my 5.0 after a fluid change as it has a torque converter that slams and shudders the worst I have seen in any vehicle. I've been dealing cars for quite a few years and in my personal...
Back