Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. V

Don't buy 3rd Gen with 4.0L

Did you mean to say don't buy a third gen ex with a 5R55 tranny. I have 293,000 on my 03 ex, and i'm on tranny #3 . The motor is solid, and I don't give it any slack. I'll hit 5500 - 6000 rpm at least a half dozen times on my 2hr round trip commute to work everyday. I really think maintenance is...
  2. V

V6 vs V8

Yes the Transfer cases are the same.
  3. V

V6 vs V8

This topic is quit the controversy. I have a 03 4.0 4x4, and a 06 4.6 4x4. Both geared 355. You will never get the torque out of the 4.0 that you will with the 4.6, and torque is what you need for big tires as well as that low end grunt you will want in the mud or snow. But as blue_goose stated...
  4. V

Fixed problem w/ transfer case? - why did it work?

Did the brown wire mod, and all is good. However I did measure the tire height as best I could with a straight edge across the top of the tire, and a tape measure to determine height. The Michelin 255/55R18 with approximately 50% tread came in about 1/8" taller than the Bridgestone 255/55R18...
  5. V

I was mainly referring to the rear suspension, but i'll take a quick look at the front to see if there are any changes.
  6. V

Thanks for the input guys.. I just went outside and took out #17 & #18 fuses, and went down the road. Holly BeJe@#s!!!! I have owned this EX for just around 10 yrs now, and never has it coasted so free. I'm thinking something in that clutch system has been out of sync since I have owned it. It...
  7. V

rhythmic thump....possibly transfer case or casr motor

I just posted to another thread on this issue before finding this thread, and I'm almost convinced it may just be the tires. I just recently went on a 1600 mile trip, and before going I installed (2) new used Bridgestone 255/55R18 tires with about 50% tread remaining on the rear of my 03 EX XLT...
  8. V

Digging up old bones... I'm surprised there are no other threads about this particular problem with the transfer case. Unless i'm just not searching the rite key words. My 03 EX is doing the same thing Johnny Glenn described. A slight whine and a surging or binding feeling when coasting. The...
  9. V

Disconnecting Front Drive Shaft

Doom, it's a 03
  10. V

HaHa funny guys, should of been comedians. Since when have people stopped experimenting with stuff? I am looking at any advantage I can get by doing this. L=ike sonic stated, there should not be any mileage increase per say. while looking at the laws of physics and calculating the resistance of...
  11. V

Thanks for clarifying that for me Sonic. My 03 EX has the 4X4 range selector, so I'm good on the Vascous Coupler issue. I removed the front drive shaft today, and went on a road trip driving around 100miles. As of now there are no issues. I'm hoping for a slight fuel mileage increase. we will...
  12. V

I am doing a front drive shaft removal rite now. So when you say AWD your not refering to the models with the 4X4 Auto selector:scratch:, are you?
  13. V

Harmful or Not: Permanently removing front drive shaft

thanx pzy, I getting ready to back out the shop here in about 5 min. I will post back with outcome shortly.
  14. V

Harmful or Not: Permanently removing front drive shaft

Has anyone ever permanently removed there front drive shaft on a 3rd gen EX with the Auto 4X4??:dunno: will it harm anything or not? I'm going to try it, and I should be done in a half hour or so. So please post reply quick, if it is going to screw up something. If no replies back I guess I will...
  15. V

Windows stuck and got power to master switch

UPDATE: It has been 8 months now since I fixed my window issue, and all is still good. I had a broken ground wire inside the drivers side flex connector between door and frame. Instead of trying to splice the broken wire back together in the wire bundle, and working in the tight area between the...
  16. V

How Many Miles Before Your 5R55 Transmission FAILED

UPDATE: The downshift shutter I was reffering to was a fluid level issue. Such a pain in the arse to check transmission level I'm sure most people don't. So I checked the level and it was about 1QT low. Added a quart, and shutter is gone as well as the pump whind
  17. V

That's about what I have heard also, drdoom - 125,000K to 135,000K. What really sucks is that I have a 06 4.6 EX with 84,000K sitting in the driveway rite now with a 6R60 in it, and it has the same symptoms the 5R55 had. Needless to say it will not move.:banghead:
  18. V

any one know of a possible twin turbo for and 03 explorer xlt 4.0

My 06 EX is sitting with the tranny out, (and it's a 6R60), and my 03 EX tranny(5R55) is on its way to another rebuild(#2), and tranny #3 . Put some wide tires on it, some loud exhaust, and find another vehicle to get turbo crazy with. Im thinking about doing something with a expedition, you...
  19. V

Well I have to say I got a little luckier than most, I got 188,000 miles on my original 5R55. I wasted my money on O-ringed servos,as all symptoms leaded to them. I then pulled the Tranny out, and had a very reputable transmission shop rebuild it, getting a 1 year warranty with unlimited miles...
  20. V

Is it Ok to remove foam under Intake Manifold???

You mean to tell me out of all the guys on this site, and no one has ever removed the foam under the intake manifold???? Well I did it anyways, and man am I glad I did. The foam I am referring to is rapped in plastic from the factory, and in time the plastic starts to shred apart exposing the...
  21. V

Is it Ok to remove foam under Intake Manifold???

I was just wondering if anyone has removed the foam that is between the top of the motor and the intake manifold on the OHC 4.0L. I hear it is just for noise reduction, but I want to make sure its not also being used as a insulator from the engine heat to the plastic intake??
  22. V

Ground is Ground, the door is bolted to the body, and one of the Ground wires from the battery is connected to the radiator support member which is bolted to the body. What is it going to hurt if the wire is not spliced back together? Is it a reverse Ground electrical system? Plz let me know I...
  23. V

Don't mean to dig up an old thread, but man I dug all over the forums, and everything on this topic seemed to be about tracing the (+)positive power from the battery to the window switch. Not much about (-)Ground system. I was leaning towards the ground being the issue, as I did have power to...
  24. V

how many quarts to fill transmission fluid?

If your tranny was severely under filled more than likely you would have experienced some slippage, and a long delay when shifting from P to D and D to R, Ect. If it was overfilled you may see some fluid coming out of the vent hose, and some crazy shifting like skipping a gear or not wanting to...
Back