Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

2003 Transmission issues

I have found a 2003 Mountaineer that looks really good, V8. The problem the owner says is that it wont go in reverse, wont go in park and rolls if you try to put it in park. How likely do you think its just a shift linkage issue? Goes forward fine. Also says the O/D light flashes.
  2. C

Trans Fill Plug Leaking

I can't seem to get the fill plug on my 2002 Mountaineer to quit leaking. I tightened it to 89 inch pounds, then a little more than that and it just keeps leaking just a little. I am wondering if I tighten the plug just a little more, if there is a point where I will fill it stop when its tight?
  3. C

Red Gear Oil

When I drained the gear oil from my 2002 Mountaineer today I was surprised to see it was quite red in color. I have been trying to figure out what was in there. Was the stock fluid red, or could it have been some sort of LS additive? I don't have a LS differential.
  4. C

Tension rattle at start up, solution?

What pre oiler did you use?
  5. C

Tension rattle at start up, solution?

Even with new guides and tensioners, and synthetic oil with a MC filter, I still get timing chain rattle from the rear tensioner at start up. It got me to wondering why the rear tensioner doesn't have the oil reservoir on it like the front one does? If it did it wouldn't have to wait for the oil...
  6. C

Big Coolant leak

I think I found the problem. When I had the engine out I forgot the put the hose clamps back in the place going to the heater core. Its running down the fire wall.
  7. C

Big Coolant leak

I am glade I made it the short drive home. Now my mountaineer has sprung a leak. I have not examined it much yet, really cold out, but it is coming from a strange area. Its leaking a ton out by the frame rail on the passenger side, like under the seat. I am about to head outside to look around...
  8. C

Engine running or not trans change

So I am finished now with the timing chain guide job, but I still need to refill my trans since it lost a lot of fluid. I have a hand pump and an adapter to fit the pan. I went under there and took the center of the drain plug out expecting to see nothing come out, and a whole bunch came out. I...
  9. C

Slots in cam shafts

So those slots in the end of the cam shafts, those can be used to make sure the cams are timed to each other right? I replaced my rear timing guide after in blew apart but before I try to start the engine I at least want to know each cam is in the right place in relation to each other. This...
  10. C

Bell Housing bolts

I took hours. I ended up getting to half the bolts from up top, with the intake plenum removed.
  11. C

Bell Housing bolts

To all of you that have removed an engine or transmission from one of these things, What method did you use to get to the trans to motor bolts? We are talking about the v6.
  12. C

My Suck Mounty, Timing Chain

I am stuck just trying get the radiator out of the damn thing.
  13. C

What should the compression numbers be. The more I think about it the more I believe with the sound its making that the worst has happened.
  14. C

Here is a video of mine. The fan blowing air in the mic makes it hard to hear how loud it really is.
  15. C

I just bought a 2002 Mountaineer for what I that was a really good deal. It wasn't running to well and had some codes in the computer, problem appeared to be the o2 sensor. So I buy it, get it home and start working on it. Buy a Bosch sensor, doesn't work right so I take it back and get an NTK...
  16. C

Exhaust Manifold Bolts

It was a nightmare to replace the bolts I snapped on my 3.0 ranger. I had to give them an exact size and the local fastenal order me some.
  17. C

Maybe buying an explorer round 2

Now its getting weird. The woman that I was calling about the v8 explorer told me it was sold last night. Later before I went to bed another ad pops up for a 99 explorer v8 limited, with the exact same photos as the 2000 limited I posted above. I call the new number today and ask them whats up...
  18. C

There is a 98 AWD V8 XLT close but I just don't want AWD. Nothing but a gas sucker.
  19. C

Well hell, its sold.
  20. C

I am looking for something that can be both a car and a truck. I could break it down into 2 different ones but that sounds like too much work. Being 22 I don't own a house to park them both in or anything like that. I just need to be able tow a few thousand pounds when ever I need. My 2001...
  21. C

What are the AWD systems like on the explorers? Is it like a 4x4 except full time? 4x4 usually means more maintenance. I found a AWD v8 explorer that is in the same town I live in, a 2000 also with 140000 miles.
  22. C

How much oil do the V8's use? What type, 5w30? Also I have had recommendations to get a AWD version, but I don't think I need it. Not counting last year, which was epic for Georgia, we just about never see any snow.
  23. C

I found this. Looks good to me as long as its decent on fuel. The price is already $75 below KBB value but I will look for any reason to offer a little less. I know this is an explorer forum but I have also found these. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/2804903073.html...
  24. C

Reverse is gone on my 98 explorer

The SOHC is the newer engine and is therefor better. More power at least.
Back