Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

ABS intermittently effecting my braking

For about the past 3-4 months my ABS light has been on. It stays off for random periods of time when I start driving, anywhere from 1-5 minutes usually. Around the same time my ABS started to intermittently come on while braking as well. At first it was when slamming on the brakes a little and...
  2. D

Ladder rack idea

I think they'll be too long for that. At least some of them. Plus they'll be dirty from the jobsites and I'm not a clean freak but I'd like to keep that out of my interior. Good idea though, I didn't think about that haha
  3. D

Ladder rack idea

I have a job this summer that will require me to haul a decent amount of ladders. I've never used a ladder rack before so I'm not sure exactly how they work (how the ladders are secured and stuff)... but I was thinking maybe I could buy 2 of the curt roof rack extensions and throw them on top to...
  4. D

Montana Explorers

I sure was. You spent some time out in MT didn't you?
  5. D

Montana Explorers

Does anyone on here live in southwest montana? I'm living in bozeman right now and would love to find someone to do some exploring with. I went out and found a little place today so now I got the offroad bug. Let me know!
  6. D

No running boards and flat back

looks good. i like the red and black look.
  7. D

Alex's 1999 Explorer XLT

Haven't updated this in a while. I got a Tork Lift Central Class III hitch from a junkyard for $6, Curt front hitch, added an add-a-leaf, Rancho RS5000s, and made a light bar that fits in the front hitch. Big day... replacing all the shocks and putting in the aal And I haven't...
  8. D

Alex's 1999 Explorer XLT

Few updates... painted the diff cover green, running board delete, 31x10.5r15 duratracs no more running boards seeing the UPS driver outside is the most exciting thing in the world! comparison shot
  9. D

Montana offroad

bump because im curious
  10. D

Alex's 1999 Explorer XLT

Ok, some stuff has happened. I got my cb in. It's nothing exciting but at least it's there. Tinted the tails. I didn't go too dark. I don't have any pictures of them that aren't in direct sunlight, but it looks pretty good. That all happened a while ago but a few days ago I...
  11. D

Questions about 95-01 axle interchangeability

Dang, ok thanks guys! EDIT: is the front diff the same in 97 then? If it doesnt have the vacuum disconnect and its swappable I might go snag that and keep looking for a rear axle.
  12. D

Questions about 95-01 axle interchangeability

I searched but couldn't find quite what I was looking for. I know 95-01 axles should be similar, but I want to make sure before I drop money on an axle that won't work. I have a 99 and I've been trying to find a 2nd gen with 4.10 gears for an axle swap. I found a 97 with both the rear axle...
  13. D

Alex's 1999 Explorer XLT

Ya, its actually super simple. When I did the dome lights I even hot glued a few extra wires to the board and then soldered the negative LED leads to those wires which made it cleaner. I bought the bread board at Radioshack. I think it was about $3.50 for it which was more than enough to do both...
  14. D

Alex's 1999 Explorer XLT

There's a good write up for them on here. Click me! You have to solder all the negative poles and positive poles together and then just connect them to the wires powering the old lights. Here's what the back of one of mine looked like before the hot glue to insulate it.
  15. D

Alex's 1999 Explorer XLT

I just ran the dually's and fogs through a relay that is activated with the stock fog light switch. So basically cut the wires going to one of the stock fogs and use the positive wire as pin 86 and the negative wire as pin 85 on the relay (that will turn the relay on when you push the fog light...
  16. D

Lets see your interior pictures please!!!

Terry is a great guy and he makes some quality stuff.
  17. D

My 2nd Gen iPad Install (LOTS OF PICS)

That'll be awesome for navigation :D
  18. D

My 2nd Gen iPad Install (LOTS OF PICS)

wow thats definitely a cool idea. what are you going to be using the ipad for?
  19. D

Keyless entry remote

my door locks will work for awhile if i spray them down with lubricant, but i just use the keypad and remote too much to keep them broken in. hopefully the new remote will solve your problem.
  20. D

Alex's 1999 Explorer XLT

Hmmm probably gonna fab up a light bar for the front so I can move the Duallys up and add some HID converted hellas or something. I saw an ex with tinted tails today and I liked the look so maybe I'll do that too.
  21. D

Alex's 1999 Explorer XLT

I bought my Explorer sometime around the end of January 2012. It's a 1999 XLT 4x4 with the 4.0 SOHC and as of right now around 95k miles. The first thing I did was the fog light mod and shortly after that I did the throttle cable mod. Then converted the fogs to HID which didn't go so well...
  22. D

Swap meet

Go to the portland swap meet, im sure youd find anything you want down there!
  23. D

Swap meet

Did anyone get anything good out there today?
  24. D

LED Mirror Light Conversion (Pics)

Posting my results... Here's what it ended up looking like. This was my first time soldering besides a few wires I practiced on. I was very happy with the results. I got some stock vs LED shots. I think it's pretty obvious which side is which :D
  25. D

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

1999 xlt with 94k miles
Back