Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

How to: Notchy Turn Signal Lever FIX

Adapt to always cancelling in the same direction as the turn - then life gets easier... its hard to change I know. Ultimately its better I think (but only when this notchy lever fix has been applied).
  2. A

Installing HID? Read this first.

It all about function for me. Brighter is NOT always better. You can easily be too bright for your optics or have optics just unsuitable for HID bulbs - getting you a very poor focus pattern and spraying lots of light in oncoming motorists eyes. That you like how it looks doesn't count for...
  3. A

The mechanical cancelling was always a problem - more expensive to build, tricky to adjust right and prone to breakage - esp when you are moving the lever when the cancellation is trying to happen... The new way can be better - but requires that humans be retrained first... always cancel...
  4. A

Has anyone done performance tuning to a 2013 3.5 non-EcoBoost?

Thanks great response - just what I was looking for. I would miss the HID, Powerfold & lane keep - wipers I can live without (They seem a bit random anyway!). I'd really like a Limited with the better engine/transmission/brakes. I don't really want lower. Maybe eventually (for...
  5. A

Has anyone done performance tuning to a 2013 3.5 non-EcoBoost?

Do you have the Sport already? If yes what is your impression of the engine & transmisson comparison between these. We have a 13 Limited - we got it just before the Sport was announced (would have considered waiting...). Are the paddle shifters really usable on an everyday basis (either...
  6. A

Alarm Question - LevittownFordSuperCenter Please chime in

Did you PM them to highlight this thread..? I don' t think you can expect they will see every post (even with their name in it...!) - especially over the Holiday Break.. Just flag it directly to them... Alan
  7. A

So they are all morons?... or most of them just copied - but the wrong guy! It's simply too short - it quite obviously then encourages bad driving behaviours: You either indicate with less warning before beginning a lane change, have not close to completed your lane change before the...
  8. A

My car is like this too (2013) - its a real design flaw (and totally stupid if it was OK before in the earlier models) - the resistance to push down or up to select continuous turn signal is so high that its much easier for the lever to pop into either flash mode (daytime) or continual highbeam...
  9. A

Replacing OEM headlights with HID lights?

Peter - it may be true of their (and others') specific offerings... (at a given power level) and so it may be generally true of what is available - but it is not a direct relationship - you are reading far too much into it - these are just marketing charts... ..and in any case the Lumens...
  10. A

Replacing OEM headlights with HID lights?

Peter this is quite untrue. Color temperature and light output in lumens are essentially unrelated in an abstract sense. e.g. If I buy an 8000K and a 6000K bulb I won't know which is brightest in lumens - it could be either one. Similarly I can buy an old style high power floodlamp of...
  11. A

Installing HID? Read this first.

Color temperature wise - yes it will look more like HID than other incandescents. I have silverstars in my other car and I also have HID foglights - they are quite similar in color temp visually (but not exact match), much bettert than stock halogens. They are still not as bright as equivalent...
  12. A

Did You Know?

Peter yes I assumed it was from a promotional packet of some kind - still the wrong slant to take I think... and technically wrong to boot... However most people have little clue anyway and I guess traction exists on the concept of regenerative braking from all the Hybrid hype... and we do...
  13. A

Did You Know?

This (bolded) is extraordinarily confusing (and must be wrong). A hybrid car can do this because it has a large motor generator and manages charging voltage to the high current battery pack quite independantly from the vehicle accessory/system voltage. The concept can still be true - however...
  14. A

Alternator & Battery Charging

Peter -Well maybe... What I see is that after warm up the voltage drops to the low float level. After that time: on the over-run the voltage rises again from 12.9 - >13.5 (and it's very repeatable - with a small delay). The effect of this will be to increase alternator load on the engine -...
  15. A

Alternator & Battery Charging

2013 Limited. My battery seems to be fully charged (by steady state unloaded voltage measurement anyway - will load test tonight) and it has never exhibited any issues in operation - everything works just fine. However my recent addition of while driving battery monitoring shows that after...
  16. A

A faster, simpler, better myford touch is here - MFT Update

Is there any Ford website that identifies the feature or other changes by version number of Sync/MFT releases? e.g. a documented Change List. Sorry if this has been asked before - but these huge threads with >500 posts are too difficult to trawl through ... Alan
  17. A

Auxiliary or Backup Battery?

Well last time I posted on this was almost a year ago. It was not complete then but here's how it was finally installed. In addition to the battery changeover switch and the voltage sensing charge combiner relay I added voltage monitors for both batteries. I actually installed 2 types - a...
  18. A

Our Explorer is a Limited 4WD with Tow Package and navigation etc package. dual second row...

Our Explorer is a Limited 4WD with Tow Package and navigation etc package. dual second row buckets (for more 3rd row legroom) - very well equipped (but no DVD system). This our family car, Boy Scout hauler for hiking / camping / backpacking / canoeing / rafting. Really like the amenities of...
  19. A

Problem with HID in fogs...

HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlights are basically modern electronically managed Arc lamps It is the igniters that are giving you issues. The igniters fire on initial turn on for a very short burst. They are what initiates the arc, if the arc isn't initiated... Nothing Happens. Arc...
  20. A

Considering defaulting my deposit....

BTW - you probably don't want the trunk cover - make sure you see one before you part with any cash... I have one (ordered with the car) and it was not at all what I was expecting - I wish I knew what I was ordering... I was expecting a rolling type luggage cover as in previous explorers -...
  21. A

No rear storage compartment??

I use the spare tire well: have a long set of booster cables wrapped around the mini spare and a tow strap w/hooks rolled up in one of the corner spaces at the rear of the tire well. I have a reflector triangle, flashlight, tire repair kit, bungee straps, screwdriver and pliers in two ballistic...
  22. A

I don't see any good reason to put it in the back - very long big wires... If the secondary battery was a full size then the weight becomes more significant but for a small <<20Lb battery its not a big deal. Mounting low and solidly is more important... Ouside the engine compartment is good and...
  23. A

I know its been a long time. Did get the '13 Limited model back in April and finally got to work on this project - its been too hot to do work in the garage here for months (Arizona summers...) I did mount the battery in the drivers side front fender ahead of the wheel as I had planned. I...
  24. A

My 2013 Boosted Blue Limited Explorer

Craig - very nice... Glad you like the ecoboost engine. I have the V6 3.5L and with the tow package & AWD I find the power just a little underwhelming... It gets the job done - but despite having apparently good total power it has to rev a little hard to accellerate and its a bit noisy...
  25. A

Dual Moon Roof, worth it?

When we were shopping limited's at the dealer everyone single one had a double moonroof - the salemen were telling us how it was such a great feature... For Arizona - I think not... I told them they were morons if they thought they had any chance of convincing me of this. Most of my...
Back