Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Clock spring for 96 Explorer

I have now been driving my explorer for about two weeks with the new clock spring and everything seems to work fine. So, to sum up, you can replace the stock clockspring in a 1996 explorer (part number F67A-14A664-EB) with a clock spring from a 99 and up explorer (part # F87Z14A664CC) but you...
  2. S

Converting PFE to DPFE

I have a '86 Explorer XLT with the 5.0. I have been getting code P0401 for quite some time so I have been troubleshooting it today. Along the way I read that the 96 5.0 explorer does not have a "DPFE" (Differential Pressure Feedback) sensor like later 5.0 engines. It has a another component that...
  3. S

I have found another difference. The airbag (two pin) connector is slightly different on the new clock spring. It has a small "fin" on the side which makes it not fit into my airbag. All I had to do what trim it off with a razor blade knife and then I was able to plug it into the airbag. So now...
  4. S

I would like to take you up on that. But I am not sure how to make an "article". Are there directions somewhere? Also, I have had problems posting pictures in the past. Are there guidelines for that?
  5. S

I have found another difference. It looks like the two pin connector (on the dash side) is not the same. It looks like I will have to cut the (black) connector off my old clock spring and solder it in place of the (brown) connector on the new part.
  6. S

I have decided that there is probably enough ribbon in the clock spring to accommodate the 90 degree offset I mentioned above. I decided this because: 1] My original clock spring has directions printed on it. They say that I can "Re-center" the clock spring by rotating it fully counter clockwise...
  7. S

I went to install my new clock spring on my 96 explorer and now I can see a difference between the original part and the new one. The new part has a retaining clip that holds the clock spring centered until after the clock spring is installed onto the steering column. The original does not have...
  8. S

I just received my new clock spring (Part # F87B-14A664-CC). I t appears to be identical to my original part (Part # F67A-14A664-EB) in every way except that the two, two pin connectors are black on the original but brown on the new part. I have checked every pin connection with my multimeter...
  9. S

I went ahead and ordered the 99 and up clock spring (I misspoke earlier when I said 98 and up). It is part # F87Z14A664CC. So I will try it and let everyone know. I took apart mine and found that the ribbon is broken near the end . I suppose I could re-solder it if the new part does not work...
  10. S

I have a 96 explorer and it appears that my clock spring is bad. My cruise control buttons dont work or light up and my airbag light is on. I have been looking for a replacement but I cant find one. Ebay is full of clock springs for 98-up explorers, and it sure looks the same. Does anyone know...
  11. S

Flasher problem

My replacement bulbs were not LEds. They were the same as the broken one that I took out. And, I replaced both sides with new bulbs so I believe that they are the same. I did recently replace my multi-function switch and it doesnt work nearly as well as the original. I will look at that. Thanks...
  12. S

Flasher problem

I have a 96 Explore XLT with a strange flasher problem. I recently replaced both headlight assemblies to use get LED projectors. Since my left turn signal light (and socket) were broken, I replaced them at the same time. Once I did this, my left turn signal started flashing much faster than the...
  13. S

window motor rivets

I bought some new drill bits but they are not making a dent. I had my son pound on the punch pretty hard while I held the window. No luck. I think I am going to try taking out the window to the point that I can reach the heads and grind them off.
  14. S

window motor rivets

I have a '91 EB and a 96 XLT. The drivers window motors went out at the same time. I bought two sets of beck/arnley window motors with regulators. The '96 was easy. The '91 is giving me big problems because I cant get out the rivets that hold the regulator to the window. On the '96, the rivets...
  15. S

Does the first gen 4.0 have the same timing chain problem as the SOHC?

I have a '91 EB 4x4 with about 175K miles. I have replaced both heads and it runs pretty well. But, I get this annoying "clacking" noise that starts around 3000 RPM that I cant find. I have thoroughly searched for exhaust leaks, no luck. I replaced all my lifters recently when I replaced the...
  16. S

window motor problem

It was a dorman front left. It has a plastic gear housing.
  17. S

window motor problem

It will not. There is no problem will the motor having enough power to raise the window. It just gets to some point a bit short of the top and it starts clicking. It will go no higher
  18. S

window motor problem

I have a '91 Explorer EB. I recently replaced the motor that drives the left front window. I used one of the Dorman window motors with the plastic case. I installed the motor with the window all the way up, but the first time I put the window down, it would not roll all the way back up. It comes...
  19. S

Wanted: First gen explorer shifter lever

I have a '91 Explorer EB five speed. I need a replacement shift lever for my five speed transmission. The piece I really need is the shift lever itself. If possible, I would also like the bolt that holds it to the shifter nub, the shifter boot, and all the pieces that go between the boot and the...
  20. S

Is the M5OD-R1HD a direct swap for the M5OD-R1?

That is a very helpful article. I was thinking the same as Josh P: Make sure to get the shifter with the new (HD) trans so as to avoid the problems with the shifter nub being keyed differently. But this leaves me with a few questions: 1] The author mentions that the HD extension housing does not...
  21. S

Is the M5OD-R1HD a direct swap for the M5OD-R1?

I have a '91 EB 4x4 5speed and mt transmission is starting to go. I am looking for rebuilt transmissions and I am finding that I can get the M5OD-R1HD (From 2001+ Ranger) for about half of what I would pay for a direct replacement for the M50D-R1 that came stock in my '91 EB. Is the M5OD-R1HD a...
  22. S

Horn constantly on after recovering steering wheel

I have a 96 Explorer XLT with the 5.0 V8. I recently removed the steering wheel so that I could recover it in leather. I reinstalled the steering wheel itself just fine, but when I try to tighten the two screws that hold in the airbag, the horn blows and will not stop. I am speaking of the two...
  23. S

Do I have a rod knock?

Funny you should say this... Yesterday morning was rainy and misty and it seemed to me that the "clacking" was better. This got me thinking that this might be preignition. I am just waiting to finish this tank of gas to try premium. But I am mystified as to what could cause it. The heads have...
  24. S

1993 4.0 overheating

The symptoms you describe sound very similar to what I experienced when my heads cracked. This is VERY common in 4.0s. They crack between the valves. This has happened to me three times in my '91 EB. I bought it with 137K on it and one head was cracked. The previous owner thought it had a blown...
  25. S

Do I have a rod knock?

I have a 91 EB with about 183K miles. I have just replaced both heads with new ones as both of them cracked around 135K and 150K. Yes, it did run that long with cracked heads. Apparently, I had alot of sludge because (on the advice of some smart guys on this forum) I recently used SeaFoam and...
Back