Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Front grille removal

Once I had just the piece to be painted separated from the black backing and chrome trim parts, I took the piece to my local body shop and had them spray it for me. He did not even have to prep it I don't think, and the paint is holding just as well as the front bumper so far. I wanted to make...
  2. M

Explorer Gas Mileage - including Ecoboost

I have now completed 13k on my ecoboost, and can report a bit more. I just got back from a short highway trip, and had my best results yet. Seems that fuel economy does improve for awhile. I averaged 27.5 for my entire trip home, and even made a few mile detour though Chicago city streets...
  3. M

Motor Trend 2012 Eco Boost Explorer review

Just a quick follow up as I have now exceeded 10,000 miles on my 2.0 turbo. I am still more than happy with the power. I have a sports car with 380 hp, so I do appreciate power, but for what this car does for me - people mover, road trip, etc. - this thing is great. I never feel like it is...
  4. M

will flex wheels fit a 2012 explorer?

Well, after a little investigation, I got it figured out.
  5. M

Can you train voice commands with Base radio w/ Sync?

The only real complaint I have with the radio I have on my 2012 base model with sync / sirius option is that it has a very hard time understanding my voice commands. Intuitively, I would think there is a place I could go to repeat the list of common commands so the sync could better understand...
  6. M

Motor Trend 2012 Eco Boost Explorer review

In my case, one of the main reasons I purchased my Explorer was for the 4 cyl. This car, for me, is a people mover and I live in the flat midwest and never tow anything. I live in a fairly snowy section near lake Michigan, and 4WD is really not necessary as long as you have good tires. I have...
  7. M

Explorer Gas Mileage - including Ecoboost

What a great thread. I own a 2012 Base with the EcoBoost 4cyl and the 17" wheels. I have about 3500 miles and have also been frustrated with the fuel economy. So far, I would say that the city mpg is fine, but the hwy is off. Most of the speed limits are 70mph here in flat NW Indiana. So at...
  8. M

will flex wheels fit a 2012 explorer?

I am looking to put a set of 20 inch ford flex wheels #3771 on my 2012 explorer. I know the bolt spacing, width and offest will work. what about the hub diameter? Any other issues?
  9. M

Front grille removal

yep, looks pretty good, and my 20 take offs are coming next week. should look pretty nice. I like the black trim better than the chrome. I'll post a pic when mounted.
  10. M

Front grille removal

not quite. I have the base, and the grill is sort of a flat gray color. does not match the silver in color or texture. the xlt might match better as it,s grill is silver
  11. M

Front grille removal

That is exactly why I took mine off. Once you have the grill assembly off the car you will have tro pry a whole bunch of snap clips to seperate the black reinforcing part and the chrome slats off of the painted piece of the grill assembly. Just start at one end and slowly work your way to...
  12. M

Front grille removal

Here is the car with the grill removed showing the location of the 4 nuts and 6 clips: Here is a close-up: Here is the back of the grill assembly: And a close-up:
  13. M

Front grille removal

Well, I did this on Sunday, and it was not fun. Screws and 2 plugs on top - no problem. Then there are 4 nuts across the back of the bottom slat. The center two are fine - get them with your hands through the bottom opening of the grill, but the outer two are bad. Had to pry the grill...
  14. M

Front grille removal

Glad I found this thread. I will be giving this a try this weekend. Wish me luck.
  15. M

2011 Explorer Limited 20" wheels

Are you still looking to sell these?
  16. M

New Explorer

Hello, just registered. Just bought a new 2012 Explorer. Not my first Ford, but it is my first Explorer. Only two options, the eco boost 4 cyl and the sync radio. For those who care, my off roader is a 2006 LJ Jeep Wrangler. This Explorer will be the family truckster. Always join a...
Back