Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

What warranty can I get?

Hi folks, I have been reading this forum for the last few days as I do my research to make up my mind if it's time to upgrade my current exp (2004 with 130k miles) to a 2012 or 2013 limited. But of course I have some questions: I found a couple of CPO EXP limited that are over 36k miles and...
  2. J

can't remove rear diff drain plug

My drain plug was giving me such a hard time that I was afraid of cracking it so I decided to use the fill plug to pump it out the old and pump in the new. I used this pump: http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html
  3. J

Should I or Shouldn't I?

I apologize beforehand because this is going to be long-winded..... I purchased a few weeks ago a 2004 explorer from a Ford dealer and decided to replace all the fluids and noticed that that the transmission is shiny, so it has been replaced. I also noticed that the fill plug part was...
  4. J

where to get two stage drain plug?

I bought a few weeks ago a new to me 2004 v6 explorer. I was going to drop the pan this weekend and noticed that the fill plug is stripped. is there a way to replace it? thanks
  5. J

I did it with the pump The most difficult part was getting the hose to the bottom of the diff to get most of the fluid out. This was much better than struggling wth the plug :) Next week the transfer case!
  6. J

I was able to lossen the fill plug on my rear diff, but I have been struggling for an hour with the drain plug, can I just pump out the old oil thru the fill plug and then pump in the new oil?
  7. J

how do i remove the rear speed sensor

I want to replace the oil in my rear diff, but I read that after filling up to the fill hole, i have to pour another pint thru the hole of the speed sensor. How do I remove the sensor? thanks
  8. J

what size is the tranission drain plug?

So I'm here with my truck on jack strands thinking I had it all figured out and now I realize I don't have the socket to remove the tranmission drain plug? What size is it, so I can go and buy one. edit: I took a closer look and, I'm not sure how to describe this, but where I remove the...
  9. J

my fluids

I think I''ll buy another pump for the diffs...my peace of mind is worth the 10.00. Transfer case...good idea....I can use the same ATF (Mobil 1) for the transfer case, correct?
  10. J

my fluids

I'm going to replace my fluids this weekend (front diff, rear diff and transmission) all with this pump: http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html Does it matter that I use the same pump for different fluids? Also, I'll be using Mobil 1 for the diffs, but they have...
  11. J

transmission filter and gasket

I want to replace my transmission fluid but first I want to buy the filter and gasket. Anybody have any suggestions on where to buy it? thanks
  12. J

Help Park Brake Assembly '04 Explorer

I have to do my brakes in a few weeks, so I'm interested in this thread. What's a BFH and a AWL? can you provide links so i can see what i might need to buy? thanks
  13. J

how do I change all of the transmission fluid?

that sounds likea good idea. How can I make sure that I'm delivering the same amount of fluid as the one that I'm losing?
  14. J

I don't have a dipstick Both of the replies refer to a dipstick for refilling but from I've read the gen 3 don't have a dipstick. Any other alternatives? Maybe refilling from the plug in the pan? It's sounds like a pain already.
  15. J

a thirdkey key from ebay

I want to purchase a third key for my 2004 explorer, and read somewhere that a edge/fusion key (the ones that have the key fob built in) will work. Has anybody done this? Which years are compatible with my exp? thanks
  16. J

I've been reading on how to change the transmission fuild but all I've read is about dropping the pan and replacing the filter. This only changes about 25% of the fluid, what do you guys (and gals) do to replace the remaining fluid? BTW, I have a 2004 explorer v6 4.0. thanks
  17. J

which oil?

I recently purchased 2004 v6 explorer with 92k and want to start changing fluids with the first being oil. Which oil should I use? full synthetic or a blend? If it helps, the truck has one of those oil stickers with the next change mileage from a ford dealer. thanks
Back