Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. pickup man

Photos Lets see those 2nd Gen EX/Mounty

Nice. I looked for one of those forever. How does it feel to trump everybody?
  2. pickup man

I removed all the ugly gold pin striping. Ol Lady wont let me do much else to it.
  3. pickup man

Suspension Dos and Don'ts

The complete kit from Explorer Express is $1000. If you have to pay for installation , it could get out of hand money wise. Quality of installation is always an issue. I put the complete kit on mine with 97 cobra wheels and , while it is way better than stock , it still wont out handle my 94...
  4. pickup man

high mileage top end noise

Ive noticed that the higher mileage 5.0s have a valvetrain niose about 10 seconds after cold start up that lasts about a minute and goes away for as long as it runs. I think it might be the rockers and fulcrums worn and decreasing lifter preload. I could most liklely drive it like that...
  5. pickup man

98 Explorer, 5.0, Lowered 3/4 inch front, Cobra wheels, Mounty front end conversion, Cat back , K@N. Bigger tires on the way.
  6. pickup man

98 mounty, 5.0, complete Explorer Express suspension kit, 275/55/17 on 97 Cobra wheels, Explorer ground effects.
  7. pickup man

What can I expect?

Interior or not this thing rocks. Nothing like laying the smack down on a drag car with an SUV. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoeFz-qs5Y0
  8. pickup man

What can I expect?

Those calculators tell you what it should run with set up correct. Set up being gear ratios, stall , shift points , traction , aerodynamics. If you make a run in a drag car that is set up right and compare your run with a calculated run , you will see that it is pretty close. I beleive that...
  9. pickup man

What can I expect?

Yeh all my trucks are 2wd. Im in Florida so no need for the extra weight and moving parts. I went to several reputable sites with Horsepower and weight 1/4 mile calculators and they all were within 2 tenths. Ive used them in the past and they have always been very close. I agree a 4wd that...
  10. pickup man

What can I expect?

The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer[1] including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any...
  11. pickup man

What can I expect?

If they do only weigh 4050 then an average of 4250 with driver at 210 hp calculates to 15.8. If they are running 17 and 18 then its the set up thats wrong. Stall, shift points,wind resistance etc. 260 hp at 4250 gives you a 14.8 all things being perfect. I would think that they will run better...
  12. pickup man

What can I expect?

Most sites are saying 4050. pounds. Gross weight is with a person in every seat. 5000 plus.
  13. pickup man

What can I expect?

I was going to modify a 95 F150 with a 5.0 and realized that it was going to need a gear , LSD, traction bars , intake, tubular headers , and some heads just to get it started in the right direction. Then I looked at our Mounty and thought , hey this thing has all that already. Its also amazing...
  14. pickup man

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

200k, 200k, 180k,and 140k. All 5.0's. Just wondering if I should change the Timing chains in the two higher mileage ones. Whats the record on timing chain mileage before failure. I assume they are double roller.
  15. pickup man

5.0 Cams

Is that with the cats in place and muffler off, or no cats. Did it have turn downs at the time. Pretty wicked. Nobodys expecting an SUV taking off and sounding like that.
  16. pickup man

sct tuner trains shift help

From what I remember you have to change the rpm shift tables as well as the mph tables. It will default to the one that comes first. You cant have your comanded shift and your rev limiter close to each other. Depending on the engines rate of rpm climb and transmission actuation time , a...
  17. pickup man

Ranger Body

I cant be the first to think of this . Has any tried to put a ranger body on a V8 Explorer frame. Dont know how wheel base would work but I would think it would save time v/s a drivetrain swap. Could be wrong.
  18. pickup man

Show Off Your Mountaineer

Just picked up a 98 X V8 emerald frost for my son. Found the wife a 98 Mounty V8 Toreador Red last month. And Im driving a 98 Mounty V8 Oxford white that weve had for 6 years. My son rolled his 97 V8 mounty that I had fixed up for him and we had a 97 X V8 EB Black a few years back. So yeah we...
  19. pickup man

Harsh Ride

I did not lower the rear. I just wanted the front slightly lower than front. I know lowering the front takes weight off the rear. Couldnt be any more than the difference between a full tank and a 1/4 tank. I did not cut bump stops yet. It feels like it jolts at the very begining of travel like...
  20. pickup man

Harsh Ride

I have 98 Mounty 5.0. I lowered the front 1.5 inches, installed Edlbrock shocks , 98 cobra wheels with 275 55 17's It jolts you when driven over man hole covers and similar imperfections in the road. If the bump is big enough, it feels like the whole truck is scooting sidways like the tires are...
  21. pickup man

Lowered my mounty

Are the general grabbers any good? They look like they might wear uneven with those big blocks.
  22. pickup man

Lowered my mounty

What size tires are those. I have 96 Cobra wheels on mine with 275/55/17's. Its time for new ones and I would like something shorter. I didnt know if the stock mustang tires would look too small. Your tires look right. Wow I just saw the last post was in 2004. Oh well.
Back