Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Getting more out of the 2.3L...

I took the inner tube out of the resonator and removed the rubber elbow and there's less bog starting from a dead stop, and acceleration has gotten a little snappier. I'm also able to hold out at 70mph up a hill in 5th that I previously had to downshift to 4th on. Next mod: 19lb injectors and a...
  2. S

1995 ranger 2.3/5 speed

Thanks for the relocation. I did find out that there are belltech shackles and springs on the rear and some kind of aftermarket springs on the front as well. My overall goal is to wring out as much power while maintaining the mileage before getting a tuner or going turbo (I have an 88 notchback...
  3. S

1995 ranger 2.3/5 speed

What are some good mods that won't kill mileage? All I've done so far was remove the tube inside of the intake resonator.
  4. S

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Unfortunately I couldn't afford the fuel bill, bought for $100, $600ish in parts, sold for $2700. Now I'm rolling in a 1995 2.3 ranger with 190,000... Lol
  5. S

1995 ranger 2.3/5 speed

http://s681.photobucket.com/user/slowstang88/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0382.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1 http://s681.photobucket.com/user/slowstang88/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0381.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2 http://s681.photobucket.com/user/slowstang88/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0387.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0...
  6. S

1995 ranger 2.3/5 speed

I sold my v8 mountaineer and got this guy, I'm getting classic rod plates so I don't have to smog. It's got a lot of miles (190,000) but runs great, ac is ice cold, etc. Has billet specialties staggered rims (8" rear, 6" front) and street scene mirrors.
  7. S

bucking/backfire/stalling

Thanks for the help. I don't know why I even bother
  8. S

Nothing at all? Should I increase the main charging lead gauge? Is 180 or 200 amp too much?
  9. S

I asked this question before and got one reply stating check and clean IAC, well it was already clean and no problems on first start up. I did notice after longer hiway trips at 55-75mph then exiting and sitting at a light or stop sign the charge gauge was pretty low with a/c on. I did replace...
  10. S

rough idle/stalling in hi temps

Definitely not the IAC, it's still clean and operating fine. It did it again today in the same spot after exiting the hiway..
  11. S

stalling in heat

This is going to sound crazy, but put wood clothes pins on the injectors if you can reach them, sometimes fuel boils in the rails or injectors and vapor lock occurs and will block fuel flow. I'm trying this on my 99 Mountaineer, I'm in Vegas and its doing the same thing as soon as I exit the...
  12. S

Thank you for the link, I will check it again even tho I just did. Trust me, I'm willing to try damn near anything at this point to clear it up. This problem is driving me insane...
  13. S

67,785 1999 Mountaineer 5.0
  14. S

Well it's above 100* in Vegas, and when I exit off the hiway and stop at a light my idle gets really choppy and sometimes stalls, has anyone had issues with vapor lock in the fuel rail? BTW, it's a 1999 mountaineer 5.0. Fuel pressure is good, no CEL, just cleaned the MAF, and 1/2 tank of gas...
  15. S

Solved 1999 Mounty erratic idle/low power at hiway speed

Running lean can cause detonation and extreme cylinder pressure/heat that can destroy pistons, valves, heads, and block decks.
  16. S

Not a problem, if anyone gets lean CEL codes, check fuel pressure immediately. Running lean for too long can cause catastrophic engine damage or failure.
  17. S

FIXED!! Well it was low fuel pressure, I checked it last because I replaced the pump/fpr/level assembly at the end of last year. KOEO fuel pressure was 22psi, 35 at idle and 25 WOT to 3000rpm. The rubber line from the fpr to metal fuel line had a crimp clamp that wasn't tight enough and was...
  18. S

Well I spoke too soon.. CEL back on for lean bank 1 and 2 again, still runs ok though.. I'm about to replace all of the vacuum lines... I'm thinking it may have a small leak.
  19. S

I always skip the simple ****, I actually did that and it cleared up for the most part. Still surging a little at WOT, but no CEL and no tip stall or backfiring through the intake... Thanks for the dumbass reminder.... lmao
  20. S

Well I'm posting here because my Mounty is slightly modded (welded thrush chambered muffler, 2 into 1 with 3" side pipe, and swiss cheesed lower air box). I bought the truck with 60,000 miles running really rough, poor idle, long cranking times, popping/sputtering/backfire through intake. I...
  21. S

5.0 hard misfire low fuel pressure...kinda

My issue wasnt intermittent, it was constant and always ran terrible. After testing fuel pressure came to the conclusion that 15psi on first ignition, and approx 5psi added every time I switched it off and back on, there was a problem with the FPR. I couldn't find just a replacement one so I...
  22. S

Well I bought mine and fixed in the summer so that's all I can comment on, it had most of the same issues you described, what year and engine is yours? Edit: I just read your Sig, it could be a fuel pressure regulator vale seating issue
  23. S

alignment

I have a 99 Mounty 5.0 that sat on the tires for about a year before I bought it, so I expected flat spots but after a couple months of driving it was still shaking pretty bad even after I dismounted, checked, remounted, and rebalanced. A friend of mine said to do a couple burnouts and rotate...
  24. S

My 99 mounty had the same issue, ended up being the rubber hose that connects the pump to the fuel pump/level sender was rotted out and losing pressure in the tank.
  25. S

Correction, I was off 10,000 miles 58,839 today, 1999 Mounty 5.0 with every option except alloys, and 4/AWD. Bought for $100 from my awesome neighbor!!
Back