Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue

The answer is obvious, but to my mind the main reason I will never own another Ford is the company's attitude about dealing with this crucial safety issue. They appear to look at their response only as a financial decision. Your previous issues speak to quality control as well. It has been...
  2. D

I don't think I was the only one who had the rack replaced twice, but I think I may have been the only one whose second replacement steering rack failed as well. All three failed racks were in about 20k miles. Ford then had to buy my car back under the California lemon law. I saw that Ford...
  3. D

As I posted in March of 2014: One can play the semantics game all you want, but in all of the failures before Ford bought back my car, the wheel jerked out of our hands and locked in the direction it wanted to go. Maybe the Hulk could have done something about it but neither I or my husband...
  4. D

Ford seemed to do everything possible to avoid having a recall for this problem for nearly three years. I don't see this as a good move on their part at all. It looks like they finally saw what is happening with GM and wanted to avoid that fate (since GM's inaction in admitting the problem for...
  5. D

recall This recall was very specific when announced by Ford. It applied to about 300 steering racks that they replaced late last year, and Ford decided that the racks they replaced them with might be defective as well (apparently because people were coming in with subsequent failures)...
  6. D

No one should want to lemon their car unless it is a last resort. There have been many posters who have talked about the lemon laws, but I only saw WoodduckMN who had actually had a buyback. At least that is all my cursory search showed. Nevertheless, I think Danial was only reacting to his...
  7. D

Goodbye Explorer Ford bought our 2011 Explorer back this week under California Lemon Law provisions. After many efforts on my part, they replaced the first steering rack. When the second rack failed, they replaced it as well. When the third rack failed, they took the car back. I had the...
  8. D

I forgot about the thermostat problem. When my car was new, I was parked in a field at a dog show when the pa came on and announced a Ford on fire in the parking area. We went to help since we always carry an extinguisher, and it was steam pouring from OUR CAR from the overheating. Fun making...
  9. D

Yes, I guess I left that out.
  10. D

I don't know if the steering rack is different, but my EX has had the rack fail and be replaced twice and still has electronic anomalies.
  11. D

I believe we may be the only people who have had the steering replaced twice. The first replacement failed twice in one day after a little less than 2000 miles (we took pictures of the dash both times). Ford had a field engineer examine the car carefully, and he ordered a second replacement...
  12. D

Fyi The steering unit (rack and pinion) is all one unit including the electronic control module. After going out twice and much discussion, mine was finally replaced. In less than 2000 miles, it has gone out again twice in one day. Fortunately we took pictures with the mileage showing. Ford...
  13. D

Ford seems willing to risk its owners lives Per the Regional Customer Service Manager AND his supervisor, under no circumstances whatsoever will Ford repair ANY defect with any of their cars if they cannot replicate the problem at the dealership and confirm a code. Even under those...
  14. D

Same story...Ford NOT responsive Last Friday afternoon we were coming to a stop sign in our 2011 EX Ltd when the steering wheel literally was jerked out of my husband's hands on a curve and (apparently) straightened the wheels of the car. The wheel would not turn at all. We turned off the...
Back