Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Windshield Cracked / Replacement

Now that I know you're car is only a few months old, I'd insist on OEM glass as well. Mine is 5 yrs old and I probably won't keep it for more than another yr or 2, so the non-OEM is fine for this one.
  2. B

Windshield Cracked / Replacement

I had to replace my 2011 windshield last week. Got quotes from 2-3 places. The key is to confirm that the glass you get has: sound deadening dotted middle visor behind rear view mirror whether or not the quote includes the A pillar trim type of warranty you get Sun shade tint at the...
  3. B

Explorer 'A' pillar replacement

Do a search on You Tube for: A Pillar trim Ford Flex. I know you have an Ex but this video is the closest thing I could find. One word of warning. The Flex supposedly has clips that allow the trim piece to slide out of (reference the video). On my 2011 Ex, the trim pieces have different...
  4. B

New to Site...Need Help

I had a similar problem a few months ago (although I don't have push button start). But the FOB wouldn't open/lock doors. I did a reboot of the system (disconnecting the negative battery cable) and all has been well since. Certainly may not be your answer, but it helped mine. I've had my...
  5. B

Knocking while braking

I'm sure it could be a multitude of issues, but I remember a post here several months ago that showed a stabilizing arm for the transfer case or a suspension member that was broken, and it was near the center of the car, under the console area. Looked like a stress fracture. IF...it's...
  6. B

GPS Connection Delays

Rebecca, Tech got the red x, but said it went away in 30 seconds or so, during his testing. My red x, went on for 3 minutes. But since they can't duplicate the issue, they aren't going to do anything, and I'm not going to run 25 miles one way to take it back to them every time it acts up...
  7. B

GPS Connection Delays

Update after service visit Just got back from dealer to address Red X in GPS icon issue, yet again (4-5 times, and once since APIM replaced). Talked to the tech guy myself, and I'm convinced he knows his stuff (7+ years experience doing MFT type work). Told me there were no error codes in the...
  8. B

GPS Connection Delays

I just got off the phone with my Ford Service Mgr. My APIM was replaced last week, and I'm still having NAV issues. It has me driving thru fields, icon is pointing east, when traveling North, yada, yada, yada. Based on Mgr's conversation, the GPS is separate from the APIM and needs to have...
  9. B

Navigaton & Radio Shutdown

Mike, I believe that if you have one of the last 2 Sync updates, 3.62(?) or 3.8 then you need the A4 Nav card. You should have rec'd one when you did the 3.62 update, either by ordering online, or the dealer should have installed it for you. Not a 100% sure on this, but it might be...
  10. B

Crashed my APIM

Crashed APIM...update Got the new APIM installed today with 3.8 loaded. Other than a minor issue re-pairing the phone, it all appears to work much better than the old APIM. NAV comes right up, instead of waiting 30 minutes to sync with satellites. Music plays fine off the USB drive...
  11. B

Battery Life

Got a 2011 XLT Ex and battery just died last week. It gave me a couple of small warning signs, that I didn't pay attention to, and then one morning I go out to start it and nothing. Jumped started very easily, but had to get a new battery that day, cause it was just a big black block of...
  12. B

Crashed my APIM

So I downloaded the "3.8" update for Sync. Put on a thumb drive and inserted it into the USB port in the EX. All appeared to be going smoothly, files were loading into SYNC system, then BAMB...screen goes blank. I figured it was just working thru all of the code in the software, but 2 hours...
  13. B

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Not near as sexy as protector but... I subscribed to an unlimited use of a local car wash, with hot wax and tire treatment on a monthly basis. Really makes a difference in the look, and no longer have to rainex my windows. Can wash it everyday, at a monthly fixed price. I also discovered...
  14. B

2016 Explorer engine options ?

I too, (like hotmel) test drove the ecoboost. I tested one on an Edge, and then on the Explorer. It was OK for the Edge, and seriously under torqued for the Explorer. I've had a turbo before in a Mazda, and it ran like a scalded dog. But not the Explorer. It was very sluggish in my...
  15. B

2011 GPS frozen no sattelites

I also have a 2011 XLT with Nav, and there are times I want to kick in the display screen, as it will sometimes take the better part of a day to "sync up" with the satelites. One thing I do, that works more often than not, is just to pull over, shut the car down, open the door to shut down...
  16. B

Power seats

I have 2 XLT's (2011) and both sets of seats operate the way you describe. Front will tilt up and down, but the rear of the seat only adjusts the entire seat height, not the tilt. I think it is part of the engineering specs (flaws). I figured it was SOP. On another note, I would give a bunch...
  17. B

Time for tires

New replacement tires on 2011 XLT Just wanted to let everyone know a couple of things. 1. I got 66,500 out of the OEM tires on the 2011 Ex. Thought that was outstanding, and could have probably gone another 4-6,000, but... 2. Firestone was having a sale. Buy 3, get one free. Put a full...
  18. B

New, to me, 2011 Limited. Few Questions...

Shumax, I've got 2-2011 Explorers (XLT's) and the only thing I've had to do is the basic maintenance. Did a couple of TSB's for radiator fan replacement, and HVAC door not working propertly on one of them. But unless it HVAC acts up, engine over heats, then you don't have those issues to...
  19. B

Recirculate Air Control

On your center console, below the 8" screen, there are temp controls to adjust temp up and down. The middle button, when held down for 2-3 seconds will memorize the current temp setting, thus making it "my temp". So if you adjust the temperature manually for some reason, then the next day...
  20. B

Recirculate Air Control

When you hit the R-Circ button, the AC and Auto come on right? After they come on, just hit the AC button to turn it off. If the "My temp" setting is too far from the ambient temp outside, it might force the AC to come back on. Try resetting your "My temp" setting to something close to the...
  21. B

MFT Black / Blank Screen

I had it happen to me a year or so ago (probably 2 yrs). Same symptoms. Mine came back to life in a day or 2. The only thing different about mine, was that it was under an old MFT version. Haven't had it happen with 3.6.2 If you haven't updated your software, you probably should (but I...
  22. B

TSB question on Certified Ford Explorer

Bumper/bumper warranty is 3yr/36k. Power train is 5/60. MFT is 5/60. Sorry... :(
  23. B

Michelin Tires

I've got a 2011 XLT with Michelin Latitudes, and just turned 64,000 on them and still not down to the wear bars. I figure I'll get at least 70k out of them. Granted, alot of my driving is country, and interstates (75%), and not a lot of stop and go like most people, but I inflate them to 40#...
  24. B

2011 Entertainment Display question

Mjunda, I have a 2011 XLT Ex. On the entertainment display on the dash, it defaults to the AM/FM selection everytime the car is restarted. It doesn't matter if you have it on Sirus, USB, etc. The easy fix is to hit the LEFT toggle switch on the right steering wheel controls. It will revert...
Back