Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Will 275/65/20's fit an 02 XLS 2wd?

probably not. i have 285/50/20's which (barely) fit and the 275/65's are a much taller tire. i agree; i also had 275/45's and they looked too thin. my 285/50's are taller and look much much better, but that will probably be as big as you can go without taller springs. my next tire will...
  2. S

Ford wants to give you $500 bucks!

The owners get no cash out of this "settlement;" only a voucher toward a new car, but only for about fraction (about 1.5%) of what a new Ford costs, and it's only good for a year. However, the attorneys who sued Ford will get $25 MILLION, in full up-front cash, of course. Whose interests...
  3. S

Rough Shifts??????

yes, hard shifts- especially downshifts- going up hills and sometimes when towing. no problems on flatlands. hope you find out what the problem is.
  4. S

How Big of Tires for 20's on a Mountaineer/Explorer

i had 275/45's on my '02 and also wanted taller tires. this weekend, i put on 285/50/20's and they look great! some minor rubbing on hard turns but after triming the front fenderwell just a little bit (tire shop did it for me for free), they're fine. i'm a lot happier with the look AND the ride.
  5. S

Cooper Zeon LTZ, 3rd Gen, 20"??

Anyone have any experience with the Cooper Zeon LTZ? From what I've heard they're good tires, and they look nice and aggressive. Don't want the "rubber band" look, but was thinking the biggest i can go is 285/50/20. Will that fit under an '02 w/out rubbing?
  6. S

DPFE Sensor Location ('02 V6 Ex)

I have the same question on the location of the DPFE sensor, but on a 4.6l... Is it pretty much in the same place as shown in the diagram?? Thanks
  7. S

$2 billion lawsuit against Ford Re: Explorer

"In a case that puts more than $2 billion in Ford Motor Co. profits at stake, plaintiffs' lawyers told a Sacramento judge Tuesday that the automaker deceived consumers by marketing its rollover-prone 1990s-era Explorers as safe replacements for family station wagons." see...
  8. S

whistle sound

yeah, behind the vents or even under the dash or behind the left wheel. it's intermittent so it's hard to have a mechanic hear it, and it's brief so it's hard to pin-point the location. sounds like a high-pitched kazoo, or the humm of a juvenile mosquito amplified (with the distortion/sustain...
  9. S

Vibration/Slippage during U-Turns

We have the extended warranty, so took it to the dealer and it turns out the 4x4 module was bad. it was stuck in 4x4. they replaced it and the slippage is gone. As a side note, the local ford dealer claimed it would take 1.5 hrs to replace the module due to access "obstructions." they said...
  10. S

I made sure that "4X4 automatic" button was pushed but it still vibrates. could it be stuck in 4x4? i hadn't used 4wheel drive since last summer, and this problem just started.
  11. S

My '02 XLT 4x4 vibrates when I make U-turns or low-speed hard turns. feels like something is slipping in the front end. Any idea what this is? Also noticed my 4x4 low light doesn't come on, even when the button is pushed.
  12. S

California Dry Blade work?

Anyone use a "Calif. Dry Blade? my neighbor says they use it at the station on their firetrucks and says they work great. no need to dry with towels or chamois. looks like a squeegee but with a tip shaped like a "T". would hate to scratch up my paint.
  13. S

2_hotty's before and after

Man, that looks really really nice. How much did the ground force kit cost? did you do the install yourself? does lowering it cause the tires to rub?
  14. S

2002 Rear D-Pillar Fading?

had mine replaced before my 3 yr, 36k warranty expired. the advisor just looked at it and agreed that it was a problem, and replaced it no questions. i also have an extended non-Ford warranty, but i believe that only covers mechanical stuff, not cosmetic. even if you're past your Ford...
  15. S

Ford has "soft rotors???"

Went to a different brake place to get a second opinion. they did the brake job for a cheaper price, turned the rotors and told me my rotors were just fine. so sounds like the first place was trying to pull a scam on my wife. Regarding the 20's, I've always had bigger tires/wheels, the...
  16. S

2002 Rear D-Pillar Fading?

Had all mine replaced by the dealer. was still under warranty, and no questions asked.
  17. S

Ford has "soft rotors???"

My wife called me while getting a lube job for her '02 at a national tire chain place;they said I need new brakes, which i believe. however, they also said i'd likely need new rotors (another $200), since Ford makes "soft rotors" and they typically need replacement every brake job. I never...
  18. S

How the H-E-double hockey sticks do I get wider tires on my 2002 XLT

tytanutt- you have pics of what the mud rovers look like on your '02? i'm running street wheels/tires now since there are no lift kits available yet. but i kept my stock wheels and may want to swap them out for more off-road-ish tires every once in a while.
  19. S

gen 3 lift?

Any idea on the proposed cost?
  20. S

Should I buy an 02 XLT?

I agree; maybe the tranny/rear end probs are with the V6's. I have an '02 XLT V8, 46k miles, no problems. the 4.6l should last quite a long time. smooth ride. solid towing. 3rd row seat will be appreciated by your 3 kids and their friends. side curtain airbags for safety. good price...
  21. S

console AC vents don't blow air

the console a/c vents in the front stopped stopped blowing air in my '02 xlt. all other vents, including the side dash, rear console and rear roof vents are fine and blow cold air. checked the adjustable "on/off" flaps, they work and of course are in the open setting. can there be...
  22. S

Any Tarus drivers ?

Thanks for correcting me- you’re right, it says DOHC. Obviously I’m no mechanic, but whatever they put in there moves it pretty good. I agree with your friends about not wanting anything else. My wife asked me what car I wanted since she’s planning on going back to work again (now that...
  23. S

Any Tarus drivers ?

i have an '01 taurus with the 24v sohc; i like it. it's been good so far, 40k plus miles, no problems at this point, knock on wood. at work, all our company cars are Taurus's. as long as they are serviced, they have been pretty reliable. i had a little corolla before, so i like the "big...
  24. S

What is the best scratch/swirll removeing product?

I'm also Zaino addict, but I agree- Z5 is only for the very, very fine swirls. Sal Zaino recommends 3M if you MUST use abrasive products.
Back