Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Dangerous Rangerous

Got alot done today. Decided to spend my lunch break fitting the engine. Well, an hour wasn't enough and all I got done was jamming the engine in and getting it stuck. Stayed late and picked up where I left off at lunch I ended up having to strip the water pump and harmonic balancer off...
  2. F

Dangerous Rangerous

Been busy lately, just finished a Maxima for a customer, and got a few other projects lined up, but found a few minutes to play with the ranger this week. I decided the best way to fit this thing would be with the engine and trans together, so I pulled the trans back out. I gave the...
  3. F

Explorer cranks but wont turn drive belts.

Well that answers that... I had a used trans from a 94 ish f-150 diesel, with a fresh reman trans but all the converter studs were sheared off, couldn't figure it unless whoever installed it did a poor job tightening the converter nuts. I never figured it could be a remanufacturers defect...
  4. F

body lifts and steering extension - when?

I know a mechanic who just takes out the pinch bolt in the steering shaft, end of story. I guess if the shaft slides 95% out, it needs an extension. I've never done it, but it's been done
  5. F

Cooling issue

Check the little vaccum valve that runs inline on the heater hoses under the hood. Sometimes they seep.
  6. F

If the Explorer battery goes dead, how do you get the hood open?

They dont have a key to open the door? The best way I've found to "enter" a vehicle is to get a wedge shaped object, like a wooden door stop or even cut one out of a block yourself. Jam it between the door and the roof and hit it with your hand. It should open enough for you to get a bent...
  7. F

1998 Ford Exploder I need some Help

When I enduro race a ford, I eliminate the cutoff switch by simply cutting the wires and splicing them together, but if the switch isnt de-activating, thats probably not the issue. The turning left issue sounds like a symptom of a dented tank, or broken baffles in the tank allowing fuel to run...
  8. F

Look what i found, what to do with it?

I ve got all kinds of light bars around, I work at a yard like that, and I've always wanted to do something with them. I know I'd just get in trouble though
  9. F

Dangerous Rangerous

Heres the crossmember I made out of an old crown victoria cross member, you'll see how the shifter is hitting the floor and is way too close to the dash. I think from here on in, I'm goin to remove the trans and re-bolt it to the engine, and start fitting the motor and trans in one piece. I...
  10. F

Explorer cranks but wont turn drive belts.

Gotta be mega rough to snap a crank shaft, not syaing it's impossible though. Maybe just a messed up wire on the starter solenoid making it just spin and not engage? you could always remove the starter and turn the flywheel with a bar or something and have someone see if the crank pulley...
  11. F

SOS! New game! Can someone guess what fell off my Explorer?!?

So the knocking noise just went away and it's perfectly drivable? The ground strap is simple enought, but wasnt there an issue that directed your attention to that area in the first place? I'm confused...
  12. F

I'm looking at buying

Dont forget to check for cancer under those nifty plastic rocker panel covers, they all get some but make sure theres still some truck left under there.
  13. F

Look what i found, what to do with it?

oooohhh!!!! I've seen those things burn down a party bus once! That being said, I would DEFINATELY find a use for it. Alley lights, fog lights, PA system, tractor beam, machine gun turrets...
  14. F

Additives To Quieten Rear End Whine

I DO NOT reccomend this, but I know an old buck in his 80's who swears by stuffing an entire banana or two in the diff, bolting on the cover and re-filling it. It's funny some of the guys and I were just talking about this, usually by the time it gets that whine loud enough to notice, the...
  15. F

Dangerous Rangerous

Nothing new today. Gotta work on a customers car during my free time after work, but I can't complain about making extra money although it is making it hard to get much else done. I did re-bend the hook in my engine chain today, the weight of the truck kinda straightened it out...
  16. F

Dangerous Rangerous

I spent my lunch break today making a new transmission crossmember. I couldn't take any video because the I Pod was at home, but I plan on getting a shot tommorow. Basically, the trans needs to be moved back about 2" and slightly downward to allow for smooth operation of the shifter. The...
  17. F

Dangerous Rangerous

Finally addind the video of the truck after the removal of the bed to determine plausability of adding a fuel line return to make the Mustang engine work. This video is to supplement the second to last post. Ranger after bed removal: http://youtu.be/kWrpO_uExvc (yes thats a beer in...
  18. F

Dangerous Rangerous

i pods charging, gonna have to wait for videos. Today I installed the v8 transmission, which was difficult due to the fact that the crossmember was uncooperative :(. Got it in about where it should be, gonna have to get an off center mount to push the trans back about 2 inches. I'm sure...
  19. F

Dangerous Rangerous

Ran into a hitch admitadly much earlier than now. The 98 ranger 4cyl fuel delivery system does not allow for a return line, where the 91 mustang requires one. Basically, the ranger has 1 fuel line and the mustang motor needs 2. So I've been saving different fuel pumps and tanks, saving...
  20. F

complete loss of electrical power.

*****en!!! Kinda thought it would be something stupid like that. glad youre back in action
  21. F

Check your brake caliper pins regularly

I have to put alot of pads on my truck (but I finaly tought the wife to drive with ONE foot) and I always change those little *******s, got a whole drawr in my toolbx full of em just incase
  22. F

Death wobble fix help

Yeah, I've been balancing wheels for quite a few years, eventually you can get the weights in the right spot to make the machine stop asking for more weight, but once it's on the car, it's never really true and the shake comes back. If you find the rim with the most weights on it (Presumably...
  23. F

Death wobble fix help

The braking issue sounds like a warped rotor. The 65mph shimmy sounds like a bent rim maybe
Back