Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

1998 Explorer Can't Decide Rim Tire Size To Go With

Aloha, yes my 2000 Explorer (2nd gen) came with 16s and will directly bolt on if yours came with 15's.
  2. L

Hard shifting, solenoid pack?

Try a cheap fix like Lucas oil to hold you over until u get the $$$ for a fix Aloha, I had the same problem develop at 50k miles. Added some Lucas tranny fluid and shift flare problem has never resurfaced (truck now at 126k miles). I've always had the intention of getting a "real" fix but if...
  3. L

97 4.0 SOHC stumbles and shakes and makes noises 1

Aloha - So what exactly was the problem(s) with your Explorer? How was your experience with the dealership? I regularly take my truck to the dealership (Honolulu Ford) and they charge about the same or less than independent shops here in Hawaii, with better service and peace of mind that...
  4. L

Newbie from U.S.A.

Aloha Dex, hope you are enjoying your Explorer! I myself have the 4-door XLT model, born 14 years ago this month in March 2000 and 126k miles on it so far. It's got every damn feature thrown in short of being an actual Eddie Bauer edition (V6 instead of the V8, and no vehicle monitor console)...
  5. L

2000 XLT, loss of power, goes to idle, engine oil light flickers on

Help! 2000 Explorer XLT. Driving along about 30mph when engine refuses to rev under acceleration. Idle starts to drop eventually to 750rpm and about 3-4 times I see the the Oil Pressure light blink on/off with the oil pressure gauge spiking to max pressure every single time. No stuttering of...
  6. L

What oil do you use?

Been using Mobil 0w-30 ever since it hit the market. No problems. Expensive now at over $7 a quart. Change out filter 2x a year and oil change 1x year, usually at 12,000 miles. Previously it was Mobil 5w-30 since new (2000). Had to do some engine work on it some years later and the Ford...
  7. L

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

104,x.. miles on 2000 XLT
  8. L

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

94,x.. miles on my 2000 XLT
  9. L

engine vibration during idle

Aloha, I have the 4.0 OHC engine in my 2000 Explorer and as long as I've had it, there's been that cyclic vibration at idle, just as you described. My cousin has the exact same model and year and his engine also idles the same. From what I've read from third-party reviews of the time, this...
  10. L

Miles Per Gallon?????

I drive a 2000 with the 4.0 OHC. State of Hawaii thought it would be a good idea to save the planet by switching to E10 (NOT E85) and boost our island economy by encouraging sugar cane farming to make all that ethanol... whatever. Ethanol is less efficient than regular gasoline and the...
  11. L

Clearance height for stock Explorers-?

Thanks much, appreciate the info!
  12. L

Clearance height for stock Explorers-?

I read somewheres that that the stock ride height (clearance height) for 1997-2001 Explorers is 6.7 inches. So... 1) Where is this height measured from? 2) If I have the 16" vs 15" rims, does that mean I ride an inch higher? Thanks everyone~
  13. L

My MPG SUCKS for a v6!!!

Sorry, when I say the SOHC V-6's are infamous for getting bad mileage, it's just from a lot of posts here saying they get anywhere from 13-18mpg on them. Ford's official specs say these engines get 17/21mpg. Whichever source you or I choose to believe, these really are poor mileage ratings...
  14. L

A tribute to our well made vehicles.

My neighbor backed his nissan mini truck right into my left rear tail light - lens suffered a hairline crack while the nissan's tailgate looked like it got t-boned! ha ha! The second "accident" happened mid-day in heavy rain: I was at a stoplight and the guy behind me hit me square in the rear...
  15. L

My MPG SUCKS for a v6!!!

I drive city, about 15 miles a day never going faster than 40mph and I get get about 220-230 miles on a full tank. Freeway driving got me 250-270 on a full tank, so it seems about right. My engine is the SOHC 4.0L V-6. Unfortunately these engines are famous (infamous) for poor mileage. Yours...
  16. L

Cruise control recall

Even with the cruise control off, the circuit is still "live," meaning it's still getting power from the batt EVEN WHEN THE ENGINE IS TURNED OFF AND KEYS OUT OF IGNITION. Weird huh. The danger is that brake fluid could leak onto the cruise control wiring harness nearby, shorting and causing a...
  17. L

Which Shocks should I put on my 98 Explorer Sport 4X4

Aloha, my Rancho boots rotted and they starting showing surface rust about a couple years after installing them. Their 240-hour salt-spray garantee is no match for our very salty, humid Hawaiian air, and especially so since i like to tool around the hot and breezy Kaena coastline (North Shore...
  18. L

Ford paint problems

Yep, my hood's peeling Aloha, my hood's peeling, just like the article says - started back in 2004. First I noticed a little bubbling (like rust underneath). Now I got two peeling circles about as big as my palm. I read some isolated articles off the web that the Wedgewood Blue paint jobs are...
  19. L

Leather - Keeping it Nice

Aloha, Meguiar's sells a leather cleaner/conditioner which I regularly use once a month. I also treat my leather to Armor-All's new gel cleaner (I will alternate between the two). I pick up both at the local WalMart. I'll use a soft brush to massage the cleaner into the leather and then buff...
  20. L

GE Nighthawk/Silverstar

Aloha, a while back there was a very INTENSE discussion between the GE and the Sylvania loyalists. It got quite nasty. A few guys even posted bona fide scientific comparisons-! between the two. Here's what it came down to, if I recall correctly: 1. GE Nighthawks are OBJECTIVELY brighter (they...
  21. L

Strange Drivability Issue?

Aloha Lazzman, THIS is why I don't bother asking Ford for help, because I get REAL answers right here on this website! All the info I posted for the guy with the trouble was humbly subquoted from other forums I've read here. I hope he can do a search for the actual posts which I have long since...
  22. L

Rust

Aloha, I live in Hawaii and with the extreme salt air and humidity, the underside has a paper-thin coating of (I guess you could call it) rust, but no bubbling or flaking. Automakers purposely design the underbody components to be highly rust-resistant because of their unique exposure to the...
  23. L

Strange Drivability Issue?

Aloha my friend. EXACT SAME THING happened (still happens on a regular basis) when I installed a K&N FIPK GenII. That's right: engine revs (more like 'surges,' right?) to 3000rpm before getting back to normal. Now, I also have the faulty transmission, the one with the trans flare between 2nd...
  24. L

Stuck sunroof

Aloha! I have a USA 2000 Ford XLT with a sunroof which occasionally did not close, but instead sticks in the VENT mode with it slightly open, just like how you describe your predicament. Don't know what your circumstances were when it first happened, so let me relate to you mines: It began...
  25. L

Oil Questions

Aloha My Friend - you needn't worry about your rig's high mileage before switching to synthetic. What I would do in your situation though is to pour some motor flush in with the current oil and run the engine for about 5-10mn before draining it. Then pour in 5qts of 5w-30 Mobil1 Extended...
Back