Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison

I've got 3-years on the Simmons Autosport housing (2010 Explorer) and about 50k miles. No problems, no regrets.
  2. H

I used that Simmons Autosport metal housing on my 2010 4.0L Explorer 2+ years ago. Haven't touched it since. Solid. Had no luck with Ford's plastic housings and have been thru several. It amazes me that a company as established as Ford, and after decades of failure with their variety of...
  3. H

Transmission Fluid Changes

150000 miles interval is not enough. I'm not sure why Ford has that in their manual. I hope you have a toe package in your limited. What is appropriate varies depending mostly on temperature during operation and a toe package includes a transmission fluid cooler which keeps it cooler. Your...
  4. H

First time transmission oil and filter change safe on my 2008 Ford Explorer V8 2x4 limited with 109,000 miles ?

I have a 2010 V6 with the 5R55S trans. It has a tow package but we don't tow. Trans temps are typically 170deg F. I did not touch the transmission until it reached 140,000 miles. This is because the manual said it should be changed at 150k. I replaced the fluid and filter DIY, at 140,000...
  5. H

Reusing Mercon V fluid?

Thanks, folks, for the advice. I’ve already reused the fluid. Here’s the details. At a 140k miles with all working fine I did a complete transmission fluid change (DIY flush type). I dropped the pan which looked perfect, replaced the filter, filled the pan, ran the engine till a few quarts...
  6. H

Reusing Mercon V fluid?

I have a 2010 Explorer EB V6 with 5R55S transmission. Mercon V in transmission that was replaced not long ago. Would it be acceptable to carefully drain the pan fluid into a clean bucket, lid the bucket (but not air tight lid) and then replace the fluid 2-days later? I've heard that newer low...
  7. H

I put in a Simmons Auto housing in my 2010 Explorer a year ago. Probably has 15k miles on it. No problems.
  8. H

I put in the Simmons housing in my 2010 Explorer EB earlier this year. It probably has about 7k or 8k miles on it. No problems so far.
  9. H

Leaky Thermostat Housing or bad seal.

Thanks Lukas2009 for the link to that great thread! BTW, the very slow leak or seepage I mentioned in post #13 seems to have self-corrected with no intervention on my part! Looks like all is well now so I'm real happy with the SA metal housing and the way the repair turned out. Finally the...
  10. H

Relearn nightmares...

Rats are known to chew and fray wires but the cases I've seen have been localized to one or two connectors under the hood.
  11. H

Relearn nightmares...

Have you tested or replaced the accelerator peddle position sensor? Check wires at that sensor also?
  12. H

Just wanted to follow up on my thermostat housing leaks. I confirmed that the Dorman plastic housing was the cause of the leaking I mentioned in post #12. Dorman was very good about it and gave me a full cash refund based on their lifetime warranty. Very good service on Dorman’s part for...
  13. H

Wrench (of death), harsh shifting, P0798, P0968

Thanks much for following up with the pictures. Looks like a perfect fit! I will add this for sure!
  14. H

How Clear B2290 Occupant Classification System DTC??

Don't yet have forescan running. I checked the connectors under both front seats and they all look very good. Following is a more detailed report from Torque Pro. The B2290 is reported as "Other discovered fault codes" with the designation of "null." On the display there was a note saying...
  15. H

Thanks. I agree the scanner is the best bet. I will check out forescan. I'll need a bluetooth adapter for my laptop but that's no problem. I'll also look under the seat to see what I can find. What was the passenger seat sensor you mentioned? Is that the pressure or weight sensor?
  16. H

I don't know for sure but I've seen references that claim it needs a ford capable scanner to clear it. Also heard that it can't be cleared buy the usual disconnecting of battery. The following link talks about a varient of depowering the system he says works: SOLVED: Air bag light on code...
  17. H

Recently the battery in my 2010 4.0L EB got real weak. The airbag light came on and I found the B2290 code in the computer. This code is part of the Occupant Classification System or OCS. The airbag light turned on and off a few times but the B2290 remained. After replacing the battery the...
  18. H

It looks like my housing sprung a real leak yesterday. Not 100% sure its the housing but close enough to move on replacing it. I learned of Motorcraft RT1220 from this thread: Anyone Tried Motorcraft Metal Thermostat Housing? I attached a pic of this Motorcraft RT1220. A few days ago rock had...
  19. H

Sounds creative! With the long bolts in place, can you replace the thermostat without removing the hsng?
  20. H

I'm going to try to add that hose extension on there sometime soon. For now, I'm as familiar with the underside of that car as I am with the back of my hand so I'll put the hose extension off for a while. I did add the patch material, F65Z-9240-DC to the connector topside. For $11- at the...
  21. H

SUCCESS! I picked up the new Ford solenoid pack this am from the local dealer and installed it. Worked fine from the moment I started it up after the installation! Put about 40 miles on it and its shifting perfectly. This is one job I really didn't want to do twice but that's what happened...
  22. H

Everything points to a defective pack. The transmission was smooth as silk before the original pack developed its open circuit pressure control C solenoid which of course was a sudden onset electrical problem. Therefore, the new pack should have solved the problem unless it was defective. I'm...
  23. H

I'm not familiar with that 'hack.' Do you have a link? Thanks.
  24. H

Yes i saw that write up. Very good one for sure. Thank you.
  25. H

Mysterious coolant leak

It looks to me like someone got frustrated with the crowded corners when installing the housing or the water pump! I don't think those composite materials do this spontaneously!
Back