Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Cracks in exhaust pipe

I have an exhaust pipe which is completely cracked around the weld and is loose where it leads into what I thout was the muffler...but now I actually think it is the component behind the muffler. The last component in the exhaust. It is round and about a foot and a half long. The welds are...
  2. H

IAC action

I think I have determined that a weak fuel pump was to blame for my lean condition. I spent so much time and energy looking for a vacuum leak which I think was non-existent. I replaced the pump and I think the problem is fixed for now. Thanks for all your help.
  3. H

lean 0171 and 0174 1999 5.0

After replacing a ton of parts, it turns out I think the fuel pump was the issue. It seems like I have it fixed for now.
  4. H

Transmission Hesitates To UpShift

Unplugged the line and replaced fuel pump AGAIN. It seems like it may have fixed all my problems for now. Truck accelerates better and shifts smooth. Thanks a lot for your info.
  5. H

Fuel Pressure Question 1999 AWD 5.0

I finally got a day off to change out the fuel pump. Got a Carter off Ebay...I think I fixed the problem. Truck accelerates better and no engine light so far. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks a lot for all your help.
  6. H

I am not sure I understand the question...if by FPR you mean Fuel Pressure Regulator then I thought the Regulator was all electronic. I didn't know there were any vacuum lines running way back to the tank. If there are though, I did not disconnect any of them before checking the pressure at...
  7. H

EMERGENCY power window help needed!!

I would say your battery was probably dead. Just jump it with a better battery long enough to roll up the window...ps vinegar kills most mold.
  8. H

That video was amazing! I never would have guessed. I think I will go ahead and order a pump, since I have the leakdown issue too. I guess it could very well be the hose, but I want to have the pump to replace it just in case it is not performing well. I would hate to have to drop the tank...
  9. H

Ok, I think this time I will replace the whole thing with the sending unit and everything so I don't wind up having to do it twice. However, I have no idea which brand would be the best, or at least not the worst. Which brand do you guys recommend...besides OEM. So far I have found...
  10. H

Ok. I checked Autozones website and they show the same part number for the pump on a 98 and a 99 however if you buy the whole assembly it has different part numbers, so I think the pump I put on is ok. About an hour later I went out and the pressure had dropped even further to 8 psi. So I...
  11. H

That's interesting...I think I do remember that hose. I have changed the fuel filter already 2 times so I don't think that is the issue. Just cheked AutoZones website and the pump is listd as having a max pressure of 100 psi...I guess it is possible it could be weak but would the regulator...
  12. H

Hi, I have been having the p0171 p0174 code for a while now and have done tons of work assuming there is a vacuum leak. Since I can't find one anywhere I have moved on to testing the fuel pressure. I do not drive this car much, but I replaced only the pump and not the regulator about a...
  13. H

All of my air controls seem to work and I have visually checked all the lines I can under the dash...all seem intact. I will take the bolt out of the hose and put the plastic cap back in and report back. There is also a hose coming off the top of the transmission which I determined today...
  14. H

Ok, I have a 1999 AWD 5.0 with the po171 p0174 codes. I have been looking and looking and replacing parts but I cannot for the life of me find a vacuum leak... so far I have replaced the EGR, DPFE Sensor, EGR VAC solonoid, upper intake manifold gasket, fuel rail o-rings, PCV valve and hoses...
  15. H

IAC action

OK, I never did take off the inner fender to see the vac ball but I did find a vac line going into the fender well in the area where that ball should be and I put a vac guage on it and it did not lose any vaccuum. So... here is what I have done so far I have replaced the intake manifold...
  16. H

IAC action

Sorry, I should have specified, I do have the 5.0. I know about the vac canister below the battery but I still don't know what the vac ball is by the passenger side fender... I will llook for it when I get home.
  17. H

IAC action

Yeah, I think you are right. I will keep looking for vac leaks. I don't know about the ball by the passenger fender, could it just be stuck? I have been through quite a bit of muddy water the last 2 years. I already checked the PCV valve and hoses and used up at least 2 cans of carb cleaner...
  18. H

IAC action

I cleaned mine too, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything different now. How did you know it stopped working? Did it get stuck closed? was your new one open by default as well? The one I bought stayed open too. My local pick-a-part wanted 20 bucks. Figured it was only 50 for a new one...
  19. H

IAC action

I will check out the AC situation as soon as I can. I also blocked off the port the IAC mounts to and started the car with the IAC off but still connected, and the idle dropped significantly but the IAC plunger still wasn't moving. I adjusted the amount of air I let in until it completely died...
  20. H

IAC action

Yeah, seems to run fine. When I unplug the IAC the idle drop is negligible and when I plug it back in it surges for a split second. But I keep getting lean codes and I am running through all the possibilities and I noticed that this IAC never seems to close and the plunger doesn't seem to...
  21. H

IAC action

When I look at the IAC while it is plugged in, and turn my key to the ON position, the IAC makes a pop sound but doesn't really move the plunger at all. I thought it was supposed to close and then open back up or something...some kind of movement. I bought a new one from Autozone but it does...
  22. H

lean 0171 and 0174 1999 5.0

Ok, So I have been lurking for quite a few years, and normally I am able to find enough info here to fix my problems. This time I can't quite get it. I have a 99 5.0 explorer and started getting the 0171 and 0174 codes recently, I would like to tinker with it forever to find the fix, but...
Back