Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Mr Dubya

2002-2005 FAQ regarding lifts, tires, etc

Sorry for bumping this - but I want to post the fab files I drafted up for the steering extension required on 4.6L V8 3rd gen explorers. I fabbed mine out of solid 1-1/8" aluminum stock. I made some small adjustments on the fly grinding away bits of material to get a snug fit. Photos...
  2. Mr Dubya

Are these seats a direct swap for my 2005 XLS?

Here's a picture when I ripped out the interior for my explorer. It shows the floor seat stud pattern for a 3-piece second-row seating configuration. Note how the front of the seats attached with a bolt through an existing stud, and the rear of the seats are attached by driving a bolt THRU the...
  3. Mr Dubya

BTF UCA's?

domct203, I believe he's referring to the custom-shop made upper control arms from BTF out west. I bought mine off them years ago to correct the issues associated with ball joint angle extension when putting coil spacers on the car. Julziv - unfortunately/fortunately my explorer is still...
  4. Mr Dubya

Quick lifts and tires

It is HIGHLY recommended to always get your vehicle re-aligned after doing any suspension or steering work. I purchased the lifetime alignment deal from firestone ages ago and bring my vehicle to them any time I touch the steering or suspension. I'm sure they've lost a lot of money on me since...
  5. Mr Dubya

Are these seats a direct swap for my 2005 XLS?

3rd Gen explorers had 1 or 2 dirrect second-row seat configurations. However I agree, they are likely apples-to-apples the same, since Ford would most likely manufacture the shell with the same floor stud pattern.
  6. Mr Dubya

You've done your homework well. No concerns raised with the above statements. -Dubya
  7. Mr Dubya

Leveling kit

No one has, ever. Guaranteed. -Dubya
  8. Mr Dubya

2wd lift and grill question

Coil spacers will fit either 2WD or 4WD Explorers, with no difference. I've never run across any alternative grills, aside from the rare custom versions that some individuals took the time to fabricate themselves. There's an admirable job done by a member on her with a Raptor-esque front...
  9. Mr Dubya

explorer 2003 guuruu sound from the front bottom

When idling, meaning the throttle plate is closed because your foot is off the pedal, there needs to be a way for air to still sneak past the throttle body and enter the engine fir combustion. The Idle Air Control Valve does just that - it controls the air entering the engine at idle, via...
  10. Mr Dubya

When you think you hear the sound one day, pop the hood, flip open the air filter box, and stick your ear up into it. If you can hear the sound blasting from there, then it is your Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) going. This applies only to 02 or 03 model years. If yours is an 04 or 05, then...
  11. Mr Dubya

2002-2005 Exploder?

I believe they are worth it. They're in the higher end of the reliability spectrum, they're easy to work on, and parts are always readily available for good prices. My 2003 4.6L Limited has served me beyond well. Some of the areas to be mindful of (as any model has) can be tracked down with a...
  12. Mr Dubya

Is it a low-pitched 'fluttering gurgle' sound by any chance?
  13. Mr Dubya

04 Explorer Rear Strut Removal/Replacement

Messianic patience is your only hope. Hit it hard with some PB blaster and wire brushes, and try to squeeze a small wrench or something in there. I forget how I did it exactly, but I know it took some crafty thinking. Perhaps I tried to tackle it by reaching far from the opposite wheel well? Or...
  14. Mr Dubya

3rd gen frame coverage after 3" Body lift?

1) Running Boards 2) Pond Liner -Dubya
  15. Mr Dubya

has anyone sas the rear yet???

It has been done. There was an individual on here that pulled it off, although I don't think they were a very prominent member, and it might take some clever forum searching to track them down. -Dubya
  16. Mr Dubya

The 285 tires do not fit in the rear under-body location, if I remember correctly. One would need to secure a spare 285 tire elsewhere, such as on the roof. Using a tire of a different diameter as a spare, even for short distances is not recommended. The smaller tire-diameter will have to...
  17. Mr Dubya

3" Body Lift

There is a tremendous amount of information on this exact subject in the forums, specifically the stickied threads up top. -Dubya
  18. Mr Dubya

Tow Mirror swap?

Very interested to know if these would fit. I'm willing to wire if they do. PLEASE keep us informed. Don't let this die. -Dubya
  19. Mr Dubya

weird noise coming from intake!!

I can also confirm that the intake gurgling has been solved after replacing my IAC. I attempted to give both the IAC and throttle body a thorough cleaning first, but the noise came back worse than ever shortly after. Replacing with a Motorcraft IAC (90 bucks off rockauto) did the trick, and...
  20. Mr Dubya

2002 lifted explorer HELP!!!

Photos photos photos. -Dubya
  21. Mr Dubya

03 Explorer Xlt Suspension lift

That is not a lift for a 3rd Gen explorer. None of these website know or care about what the actual year ranges for generations are. Your only practical and efficient options are coil spacers and body lifts. The spacers should be coupled with extended control arms for safety. Two other...
  22. Mr Dubya

BTF Fabrication Explorer Lift Coil Spacer discussions

The BTF UCAs will remedy the contact up do a certain spacer height, after that they will make some contact but the angle won't be detrimental. Anything but tiny spacers will make contact with stock UCAs. There is no way around that unfortunately. Do not test the longevity of those ball joints...
  23. Mr Dubya

Explorer Sport (2 door) V6 4.0L Oil Leak

Check your valve cover gaskets.
  24. Mr Dubya

stalling when turning right

The IAC is sometimes not something that has any visible signs of wear or failure. The IAC in my explorer (unrelated issue to this steering) went recently, and looked like nothing was wrong with the eye and a good cleaning, but still needed replacing. Stalling without stepping on the gas...
  25. Mr Dubya

stalling when turning right

Either the power steering pump is putting more resistance on the belt (thus crankshaft pulley) and the engine cannot overcome the resistance at low RPMs, or the IAC valve is not supplying enough oxygen to the throttle body as the demand increases from the pump. This means a failing pump, a...
Back