Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

Hmmmm, at $8000 I wonder why it has been up a while. Looks a bit overpriced to me, especially considering the seller's feedback.
  2. M

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

Time for an update. My third Aero (93 3.0 V6 Rwd A4LD) became history on Easter. Motor quit. No compression. 415,000 miles. Transmission outlasted the motor. Not worth fixing. So, next week I will be spending Friday stripping it of parts that I will eventually need for my 4th Aero. Then it...
  3. M

Best Use for a A4LD

Well, the A4LD in my 3rd Aerostar (93) has outlasted the 3.0 V6 engine at 415000 miles. I don't know the history on my 4th Aerostar (90), but I do expect to put a quarter million miles on that A4LD even though the transmission is weaker than my 93's were.
  4. M

1997 Aerostar sliding door latch issue.

Old thread, but new info on what to do. One thing that causes sliding door latch problems is the misalignment of the rear door track. Open door all the way. Look at front end of door track. If it is loose or sagging, it will destroy your latch. Find or make a short metal angle with a hole...
  5. M

400,000 miles on my 1993 Aerostar.

Recently the odometer on my 3rd Aero roolled back to 300,000 from almost 400,000 miles. Last Sunday (Easter) the motor permanently died 150 miles short of my destination at just over 415,000 miles. 4th Aero is not ready to drive yet.
  6. M

Automatic Transmission Cross- Reference Guide.

Things to remember about A4LD transmissions when swapping them: 1) Rear wheel drive or 4x4. Cannot directly swap them. 2) 3 different bell housing shapes. 4 cylinder, 2.8/2.9/4.0 V6, and 3.0 V6. Cannot easily swap them as there are internal differences depending on year. 3) 2 or 3 wires to the...
  7. M

Solved The speedometer & odometer suddenly stopped working in my 1993 Aerostar.

All three of my Aeros had/have digital odometers. No idea whether all Aeros had them. However, my 1986 Aero had a digital speedometer, while both of my 1993's have analog speedometers.
  8. M

More speedometer trouble.

No idea whether they are available new or not, but any wrecking yard with Fords should have them in stock. Wrecking yards around here charge $100 to replace the broken ones or they will charge $50 for a good used tube for you to install. I have broken 3 of them, so now keep a couple of spares...
  9. M

What you have heard is BOTH correct AND incorrect! Early Aerostars, like 1986 vintage, had an odometer that rolled back to 100,000.0 miles after reaching 199,999.9 miles. Later Aerostars, like 1993 vintage, had an odometer that rolled back to 300,000.0 miles after reaching 399,999.9 miles. I...
  10. M

SOLVED!!! I finally figured out what the problem was. If the ignition switch does not completely return to the drive position after starting, then the circuits involved will remain disconnected, so no odometer, speedometer, etc. I can manually cause this problem to return at any time, so I...
  11. M

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

All A4LD transmissions have a partial VIN stamped on the flat spot on the driver's side of the transmission behind the manual control lever. 8th digit from end is the year.
  12. M

Best Use for a A4LD

I know the track record. I have made many THOUSANDS of dollars selling A4LD parts to transmissions shops so they can rebuild them. Don't sell much any more as there are fewer and fewer to rebuild every year. Am I lucky? Maybe. But then how does one explain 3 Aerostars in a row that hold up to...
  13. M

Best Use for a A4LD

I looked expecting something about an A4LD, but did not expect this. LOL. However, the A4LD is one AWESOME transmission. I have one in my 1993 Aerostar with 430,000 miles on an ORIGINAL A4LD that has NEVER been rebuilt. I have another 1993 Aerostar with 258,000 miles that has an A4LD that...
  14. M

Newbie 95 Ranger tranny help

What do you mean "transmission went out?" Stop working? Not shifting correctly? Whining? Or what? I am assuming that you have an automatic transmission. And exactly what do you mean by "replaced it?" Put a used one in? Put a reconditioned one in? Put a rebuilt one in? Or? Are you SURE that...
  15. M

Solved Driveability issues with my 1993 Aerostar.

Sorry everyone. Got sidetracked months ago and never finished this thread. Since I don't know where the part is that I replaced there will be no picture of it. What I found was a vacuum leak UNDER the air cleaner. No way to see it or fix it without removing the air cleaner box. The ell tube...
  16. M

I did a Google search and found documentation showing that this rollback occurs in Aerostars, and presumably other Ford products. http://www.reddit.com/r/Ford/comments/2mx50h/the_old_disappearing_clicks_on_the_odometer_trick/...
  17. M

It started working again the next morning, and has been working fine ever since. See this link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3374544&postcount=7
  18. M

Ten minutes ago my odometer rolled over to 400,000 miles, only it didn't. Instead it now reads 300,008 miles. I had the same thing happen at 200,000 miles on my 86 Aerostar, only it read 100,000 at 200,000. Apparently Ford could not build an odometer that will register over 400,000 miles...
  19. M

Solved My 1992 Aerostar has a rough idle, and a weird starting issue.

I had a rough idle and rough running engine (3.0) recently, changed the plugs and wires and the roughness went away. The plugs I pulled were new a year ago and they had short threads. The plugs I put in had long threads, just like the plugs I replaced a year ago. Don't remember which brand or...
  20. M

Thanks for the diagram. As it turns out, this cannot be a fuse problem as the problem disappeared without me doing anything. When I went to work this morning the needle was still pegged at max before I turned the key on. When I turned the key on, the odometer was working, but the needle did...
  21. M

No owner's manual and have replaced other fuses before. It is just a question of exactly which one to look for.
  22. M

Nope. Which fuse would it be? Or where do I find a wiring diagram to find out? BTW, all other gauges work fine.
  23. M

Two hours ago, at 399,500 miles on my 93 Aero, I bought gas. Half hour later my odometer went blank, my speedometer needle went max, and the cruise control quit working. Van runs and drives ok, just no idea of how fast I am going. Even after turning everything off, the needle still stays at max...
  24. M

A bad spark plug would be evident since the engine would not idle nor run smoothly. Engine runs as if ALL plugs stop and start firing at EXACTLY the same time every time. Bad plugs do not do that. Neither do bad wires. Symptoms never disappear. Same symptoms hot, cold, any gear, any speed...
  25. M

1) Have not checked the timing. 2) Have not checked compression. 3) Have not checked firing order, but have changed wires with no change. 4) No smell of fuel, so not getting flooded. 5) Have not checked temp sensor. Going to start with temp sensor once I can find it and then timing...
Back